Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch disengage

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch disengage

I read a bunch of similar threads but at the end of them it's a newer bike.

I changed my handle bars to mini apes so the total move up was 5minches nothing much with a 42" clutch cable.

But now the clutch won't engage. While pulling the clutch in and starting to back up or move forward. (Engine off) the bike is in gear still. It's an 89 sporty so it doesn't have anything fancy.

Do I need to do more than loosen the cable? Why does it stay engaged?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Did you do a standard clutch adjustment, by the book, not just the cable? There is a sticky thread on how if you don't have a service manual.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 AM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Did you do a standard clutch adjustment, by the book, not just the cable? There is a sticky thread on how if you don't have a service manual.
Thing is I didn't do anything. Clutch worked fine one day. Changed bars and just put the clutch back on the bars. I'm guessing that was my folly I saw the sticky about adjusting so I can tear it all down and start from scratch. Just thought that was weird it didn't work just because it's 4 inches higher in the air now.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Check the routing of the cable, as if it is stretching around something it may affect operation. You did do something, it may be that 'only' being 4/5 inches higher is a smidgin too far! Once you are happy the cable is free and easy, from lock to lock, do the clutch adjust procedure and let us know what happens.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:17 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
Check the routing of the cable, as if it is stretching around something it may affect operation. You did do something, it may be that 'only' being 4/5 inches higher is a smidgin too far! Once you are happy the cable is free and easy, from lock to lock, do the clutch adjust procedure and let us know what happens.
Adjustment done! No change

I can see the clutch engage when pulling the lever if I leave the derby "cover" off more like a small Cap on my bike. I have the dumb climber book and I compared the sticky notes with it while under work. But when I shift to 1st or 2nd roll it to lock It in then I press the clutch lever in it won't disengage the clutch allowing it to roll free. I haven't started it or tried to engage while engine running for fear I would have to kill it and apply the flinstones brake.

Any thoughts? About to rebuild the clutch and add that to my harley self mechanic time.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:25 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Not to add a bunch on this topic but I thought I would throw this out. My clutch has always been a little tough to shift down or up when hot. (The chain is set perfectly and correct) very clunky. Any way that the main nut is just too tight? Or something else?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Next, if you have a dial indicator or access to one put it on the pressure plate. Pull in the clutch and see how much travel or release you are getting. You want .090 but can get away with .080 anything less and you are going to have issues.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Clutch cable too short, it is obvious that when you put higher bars, it is pulling the clutch in automatically. Get a longer cable.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpowell490
Clutch cable too short, it is obvious that when you put higher bars, it is pulling the clutch in automatically. Get a longer cable.
I have a longer cable I can put on but if the cable was too short wouldn't it make the clutch constantly engaged? I'm saying that when I pull the handle in it moves but when in gear it doesn't allow travel so it's like the clutch never engages. Does the clutch work backwards from my thought?

Figured if I pull the clutch lever in the clutch is engaging or removing pressure from the drive train. If the cable was too short it would just stay in neutral all the time.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 PM
jpowell490
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh I see what you are saying. Not to be too simple, but the clutch cable did get connected correctly right?

Yes, if too short it would not move as the clutch would be engaged at all times.

Quick Reply: Clutch disengage