Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

kicker moves when bike is pushed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 PM
twistdroach
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kicker moves when bike is pushed

Just bought a bike with a revtech 5 speed transmission and kicker. Not sure if the kicker came on the revtech originally or was one of the addon kits from somewhere. In any event, here is my problem. The kicker arm does not move freely in either direction, it feels locked tight. It does move however if I put the bike in gear and pull the clutch in so I can roll it around. It moves just like a clock and I think would just keep spinning if I kept pushing. I'm trying to figure out if I should try to pop off the cover and see what's going on under there or if it's a sure thing the whole trans is going to need to come out.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:59 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The bushing on the ratchet gear may be worn and not separating from the kicker gear.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM
twistdroach
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gears were definitely sticking. I took off the kicker cover and saw the gears stuck together...

Looked pretty awful. I pulled the trans and checked it out. When I took the top cover off, I was surprised that actually the rest of the trans looked in much better shape. I cleaned up the rust, put everything back together, and the kicker was functional. I realize the tranny is probably going to be no good (all that rust must be getting into the bearings), but after putting the bike back together and starting to adjust the clutch I heard a pop. I went around and checked and the kicker was back to being stuck. I pushed on the clutch basket and popped the main shaft back in place. Now the kicker is functional again and working correctly as long as I don't push the clutch out. It seems like the pressure of the clutch pulled the entire main shaft to the left and pulled the gear into engaging with the kicker. What is supposed to keep that from happening in the tranny?

Last edited by twistdroach; 09-16-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Double check that the clutch nut is tight, I would guess that this bike does not get rode a lot. Condensation forms in the transmission and if the bike is not rode every few days long enough to heat up the oil and burn off the condensation you will get rust.