Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

New clutch cable, too much slack for middle adjuster to pick up

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New clutch cable, too much slack for middle adjuster to pick up

Hello;

I replaced my stock clutch cable with a Barnett stainless braided cable. Now I cannot pickup all the slack with the adjuster in the middle of the cable. Everything was OK putting the ball and ramp plates and circlip back in, and the clutch release cover back on.
What I'm thinking is that I may have set the inner ball and ramp plate one ball off, that is, the clutch mechanism is over in the 'lever pulled in' position explaining why I have so much slack. One ball the other way gives takes away about one inch of slack, which is a lot as I see it.
I ought to be able to pick up all this slack by adjusting the clutch on the other side under the derby cover, right?

The last thing I want to do is pull the exhaust system off again to get at the clutch release cover again. (I can look down the tranny dipstick hole and see that the end of the clutch cable is in fact attached.)

Thanks

CN

Old 04-13-2007, 11:55 PM
mlinarz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New clutch cable, too much slack for middle adjuster to pick up

CN - every figure out what the problem was? I have the exact same situation on my 03 Road King. Put new handlebars on, changed out clutch cable, and it is at the top of it's adjustment. I adjusted the clutch on the primary side, but didn't seem to make any differnece in cable adjustment, as all cable adjustment appears to be on cable itself.
I don't remember there being more than one way to put the lever in the clutch basket in differently than I did???
I'm thinking about putting a shim between the clutch basket and the shroud on the cable to take up the slack.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

I am about to try and solve this tomorrow morning. (Sat)
When I look down into the tranny dipstick hole it appears the ramp's arm (hence, cable) sits almost full forward. (like the clutch is pulled in, which is what I'm experiencing)
The best I can come up with is that perhaps the circlip that holds the ball and ramp assembly in place has it's opening in the wrong position and this somehow impedes or jams the inner ramp from returning as it ought to.
The manual states that the circlip opening is supposed to face to the right of the outer ramp's tang. I just haven't figured out whether this is as the cover sits in position on the bike or when the cover is flipped over with the opening facing you.
This sucks because the whole exhaust system has to come off to remove the cover.

I'll let you know how I make out.

CN

Old 04-14-2007, 01:24 PM
schoney
Tourer

If your clutch is not adjusted at the clutch properly you will never get it adjusted at the cable. Sounds like your bike clutch wasn't adjusted after a new cable was put on for the longer bars. Back off all adjustment on your clutch cable adjuster. Open the derby cover to get access to the clutch. In the center of the clutch is a jam nut on an allen screw. Loosen the jam nut and turn the allen in until you fill resistance then back off maybe 1/2 turn and retighten jam nut. Now go back and adjust clutch again. Use the 1/2 turn back off as a startiing point, you may go more or less.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
no 9to5
6th Gear

DO you have to adjust the clutch after replace the cable? There is a post in the tech tips that said all you have to do is put the new cable in.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:22 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are supposed to back it off 1/4 turn after you feel resistance..Mark

Old 04-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

Solved it today.
It was exactly as I suspected. I had the cable too short when I attached it to the ball and ramp assembly and put it back into the clutch release cover. This had the ball and ramp sitting at rest in the "clutch pulled in" position, hence it was not trying to retract the cable at all, and the arm was full over where the clutch cable couldn't pull it any further.
I messed with the adjuster at mid-cable and at the lever so I had enough cable showing in the cover in order to set the ball and ramp assembly 120 degrees back further before snapping on the circlip. Now it was at rest in the "clutch let out" position.
A pull on the clutch lever now activates the ball and ramp as it should. It had nothing to do with the adjuster under the derby cover, but I will go in that side and adjust it since I'm there.

BTW, the manual tells you where to leave the opening on the circlip, but does not tell you to set the ball and ramp assembly in the full- back position after attaching it to the cable.

CN

Old 04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
mlinarz
4th Gear
Default Clutch

Interesting. I don't think I paid any attention to that when I put mine back together. Don't even recall there being any options on how it went back in. I suppose you needed to drop your exhaust?
I solved mine by going into the derby cover, and adjusting the clutch from there. I tightened until "lightly seated" then backed off 1/4 turn. I have my actual cable adjustment hanging on by one or two turns of the thread, but it's workin and I'm riding!

Old 05-03-2021, 12:45 AM
Tony Fullmer
Stage I
Default Clutch cable adjustment

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
Solved it today.thx 4 advice got me and electra in the wind again
It was exactly as I suspected. I had the cable too short when I attached it to the ball and ramp assembly and put it back into the clutch release cover. This had the ball and ramp sitting at rest in the "clutch pulled in" position, hence it was not trying to retract the cable at all, and the arm was full over where the clutch cable couldn't pull it any further.
I messed with the adjuster at mid-cable and at the lever so I had enough cable showing in the cover in order to set the ball and ramp assembly 120 degrees back further before snapping on the circlip. Now it was at rest in the "clutch let out" position.
A pull on the clutch lever now activates the ball and ramp as it should. It had nothing to do with the adjuster under the derby cover, but I will go in that side and adjust it since I'm there.

BTW, the manual tells you where to leave the opening on the circlip, but does not tell you to set the ball and ramp assembly in the full- back position after attaching it to the cable.

CN
thx 4 advice got me and electra in the wind again