Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Best Motorcycle Magazines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Buzz Kanter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Motorcycle Magazines?

Yes, I am the publisher of American Iron Magazine, so you can all guess which motorcycle magazine I think is the best.

But I am curious what others feel makes a great magazine, and which are your favorites and why.

I try to read them all, and I know what I like to read in them, so here's your chance to tell me how you feel on the subject.

Want more new bike reviews, tours, tech, customs, photos of Peter Fonda (kidding about that), or classics? I'd like to know.

American Iron Magazine is the best selling Harley-oriented magazine in the world and our goal is to make it the best it can be for real riders.

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best Motorcycle Magazines?

I subscribe to your mag along with several others and from time to time pick up copies of various othermags. My 2 favorites are AI and Thunder Press. Your tech articles are outstanding and you run many real world bikes and old iron. One thing that I feel you could do is instead of making your issues that come out before Sturgis and Daytona your biggest all year, why not make the issues that feature the rally coverage your largest. Expand the coverage of the 2 biggest ralliesand toadd more coverage of some of the larger regional rallies and events.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I use the internet to find stuff out. I get way more interest for free than I get in other magazines (not yours & I am absolutely not talking about yours, please: hope I am clear on this) I do buy yours as well as every other free or paid publication about Harleys, because I am in the business only. I do like AMD and thunder press for one guy (un-named) who does great tech articles.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:03 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a Harley rider,have been since 1974. ride a 2003 SuperGlide now.I occasionally buy your mag if it looks like it's got anything interesting in it.Ever seen the Kneeslider web site?Every day there is something new and interesting.I get tired of seeing the same old chopper crap all the time.I even enjoy CycleWorld Magazine because of the variety and odd stuff they have in there,like the LeGrand Jordan,a square Four motored bike entirely biult by a retired CHP bike officer back in the 1930's.Motor and everything else designed and built by him.How bout the Packer,An American Vtwin with six desmo actuated valves built in the 19 teens.That and naturally Harleys but also any unusual bike is what I like to read about.You guys should expand to that kind of stuff and I'll become a regular reader.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 AM
ironhorselady
Road Master

American Iron is the only one RaftGyde (bf) subscribes to, so already the favorite. You guys are doing it right. When it comes, I open to see what Genvieve has to say before reading on. . .

Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 AM
ironhorselady
Road Master

Buzz, guys like this are not only fascinating to many of us, but deserve to have their stories documented-
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2243656/tm.htm

Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Buzz Kanter
I try to read them all, and I know what I like to read in them, so here's your chance to tell me how you feel on the subject.

Want more new bike reviews, tours, tech, customs, photos of Peter Fonda (kidding about that), or classics? I'd like to know.

American Iron Magazine is the best selling Harley-oriented magazine in the world and our goal is to make it the best it can be for real riders.

Thanks.
Like Ironhorselady said, I'm already a subscriber to American Iron.

I'm starting to get a little tired of the customs. Yeah, some of them are nice to look at and I've picked up a few ideas from them, but the reality is, those types of customs are way beyond the capibilities of most of us. I'd rather see things like the article on upgrading a stock Harley. I think y'all did one on a bagger a while back that I really enjoyed; maybe it was yours. Headlight, gauge, and some other bolt-on stuff. I enjoy Donny's tech articles although sometimes they get a little over my head.

I'd also like to see a little more variety. While you bill the mag as "Harey-oriented," the name IS "American" Iron. Seems like the other brands (Big Dog, Victory, etc.) are limited to one short test report per year. I know Harley is your bread and butter so I don't know how much room you have to play with.

Someone else mentioned rally coverage. I couldn't care less about rallys. I hate crowds. I much more enjoy the tours and the old bikes.

Bottom line - You've got a great mag. Keep up the good work.

BTW - Did you ever figure out why your dipstick kept blowing out?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Buzz,
You ask about favorite/best motorcycle magazines. Like a number of the other folks, I'm an AIMsubscriber too. I've only recently renewed my subscription after letting it drop for a while. Please bear with me and I'll explain. I recently traded in my '99 1200C on an '08 FXDC. Well, my favorite was one that no longer exists that I believe you edited, "Hot XL." That was a great magazine. It had just the right combination of bike reviews, tech articles, custom features, bike/rider-related products, and personal bike pieces. I was more than a little disappointed when it folded with the Sportster stuff being folded into AIM. I let my AIM subscription lapse because there seemed to be fewer and fewer Sportster pieces that addressed my interests as a basic Sporty rider. That changed to a certain extent when I picked up the FXDC.
Generally, I've nothing but good things to say about AIM. But, you knew there was a "but" coming, I think that AIM has too many chopper/custom-related articles. I understand that choppers and customs are pretty popular these days, but I think that more bike reviews, more touring/general riding, personal stories, and how-toarticles would make the magazine better.
Just my 2 cents,

Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Wes10RG
Tourer

Buzz,
Haven't read your magazine before, maybe looked at it in the airport bookstores. Shortly after moving to Texas 3 years ago, I came across Ride Texas and thought it was one of the best magazines I ever saw.
http://www.texmoto.com/

Great touring articles, nice rides planned out with mileage and highlights, and top spots in the state for various things like food (what else), lodging, etc. You should check it out, bet you'll like it even if you're not from Texas.

Recently got back on HD's, had been riding Metrics -Yamaha Road Star and Venture. So maybe I should check out your magazine now.

Tech articles and tours would be my top interests. Tell me about all the aftermarket things that will make my bike (2007 Road Glide) better than factory - that would fill many magazines with great articles.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in. I get AIM and think your mag is the best. I, too, am getting a little tired of the high dollar customs that never get ridden very far. I do a lot of riding so my interest lies in back road routes and food!! Keep up the great work and the tech articles have come in handy several times!

Quick Reply: Best Motorcycle Magazines?