Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Helmets

Old 03-11-2005, 08:25 AM
TerryFXD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

Anyone have a NXT half helmet? They are suspose to be the smallest & lightest DOT approved helmets out there. I have read the 05 model has corrected the problems on earlier models. yes? no? something else?[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 03-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Helmets

Terry, I've read the same thing, but I've yet to see the inside of 1. [:-]

Old 03-11-2005, 07:43 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of problems was they having?

I want a good light helmet and dont know what to go with.

I was going to go novalty but if i have to wear one i might as well be legal.

Any good suggestions would help me too.

David

Old 03-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

the thing that comes to ming BnN is the strap design just doesn't fit right. It's too close to the throat so tightening the strap could be very uncomfortable.

However, with a $135.00 price tag, I'll have 1 in hand before I buy it.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

I don't know if this helps or not, but I recently purchased a DOT approved half helmet from "Head Trip" out of Orlando, and its gott'a be the lightest DOT approved helmet I'ver ever seen. Its constructed using kevlar and carbon fiber. The energy absorbing layer inside the helmet is only about 1/2 the width of a standard DOT approved helmet using foam, but it has met the DOT testing criteria.

The helmet fits well and is comfortable enough. I can't say that I really like the fastener arrangement for the chin strap, however. Its a buckle of sorts and is often difficult to latch underneath my chin once the helmet is on. I think I woiuld prefer a simple nylon strap routed through two D rings.

Anyhow, do a google search for "carbonfiber motorcycle helmet" and take a look. (They make novelty helmets as well, so be sure to click on the "DOT" button.

It ain't cheap at about $175 and up, depending on colors/graphics, etc.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:57 AM
SERB
Tourer

My friend has one of these NXT helmets. He says it is very comfortable and does not slide back on your head like some novelty helmets. The only thing is that you have to CAREFULLY measure your head so as not to get the wrong size. He had to send his first one back to J&P because he did not follow the directions. The inside of the helmet looks pretty good, nothing special, but it sure is a thin helmet. I will probably end up ordering one. The only thing he does not like, and it is a problem with most helmets, is that the stracp tends to be uncomfortable after a few hours under your chin.

Here is their web site: http://www.nexlsports.com/

Old 03-14-2005, 09:08 AM
TerryFXD
Novice

I have read the web info about these helmets and they seem like the helmet to have but I'm like Ironhead and if I'm going to pay that much for one I want to know if they ride as good as they are suspose to.
Also, for general info if a helmet is DOT approved it does not neccsarily mean it has been tested by the DOT. The DOT gives the approval then test the helmets, I'm not sure that they even test all the helmets that have the DOT sticker on them, the DOT web site gives the info of which helmets have been tested and pass or fail and why.[:-]

Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

Just in case you happen across 1... 01 and 02 model helmets have been recalled.

http://www.nexlsports.com/index.php/cmd/recall

Old 03-14-2005, 08:21 PM
skywagon
Cruiser

Bought a helmet from JAFRUM Leathers, and it is approved, and covered with the same leather as my RKC saddlebags. $34.95, good price good quality.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior

I bought a DOT approved 3/4 helmet from Jafrum for $22. Looks and feels just like the one I bought in '68 when I got mu first bike. It is important to follow each manufacturer's sizing chart though. If the site you're wanting to buy from doesn't have one, find it on another site before you order. In some helmets, I'm a large...in others I'm an XL. From Jafrum I was an XL and it's a nice tight fit. I figured for $22 I couldn't go too wrong and will ultimately keep it for a spare passenger helmet. I'm looking at the Nolan full face N100E, but wish I could find a place to try one on.
BTW, my local H-D dealer, carries Harley's and HJC. They told me that the Harley helmets are made by HJC. Anyone have any info on this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmets