Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HD Condor+Marauder boots ad red wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Default HD Condor+Marauder boots ad red wing

Was in a couple of dealerships for some things this week and, with no prior intent, ended up buying some new boots. I have to say, what followed is unusual for me. I do not usually have trouble finding boots/shoes that fit.

First pair I tried, subsequently bought and later returned were the Marauder boot made by Red Wing according to a RW dealer I spoke to later, but HD branded. Great logger style boot, very comfortable, very grippy on the road. Made me a few inches taller too! So, why the return? The space between the instep and the heel is tiny. Noticed in the shop, tried them while sitting on a few bikes, didn't seem to matter.

Later that same day, we were riding around town, no problem. It was not until later when I hit the highway and threw the feet up on the highway pegs on the engine guard that I noticed there was a slight problem\\; no matter what I tried, I could not get comfortable on the hwy pegs. Too bad, really liked the boots.

Stopped at a Red Wing shop and looked around\\; but selections was small\\; didn't see anything I liked, mostly logger style which would present the same problem.

A day later, at another dealership, I found and bought a pair of HD Condor boots, which, according the sales person, are made by Wolverine. They have a more regular sole, but with the exception of a 'pegbar' which helps you stay on. Tried it with a demo bike on the floor and sees good. The boots also have an indentation in the heel as a 'heel rest'. They are lace up with a zipper for easy-on-easy-off. Additional features include some reflective piping on the sides, in black, which had to be pointed out to me as I would have missed it.

The boots are narrow, especially in the ball of the foot area. Still, seem like good boots and have excellent traction, but after wearing them inside for a few hours, the tightness was too much, especially at the thought of putting an extra sock on for colder weather riding. So, the also got returned.

Yesterday, I happened by a Red Wing shop and popped in. I found a boot in their Worx line that I hated the looks of, that fit me, had good traction and is very comfortable for walking as well. The boot is not steel toe, rather has a composite material toe cap that is not conductive to cold. They are leather/Cordura lace-up with a side zip. Rode all day with them and they required no break in period.

The boot fiasco is over.

Happy riding