Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 with quiet baffle

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 with quiet baffle

I just put a Fat Cat, with quiet baffle, on my 2005 SE Fat Boy. I've had this bike for 2-1/2 years. The previous owner had put on Samson, Rip Saws, which are 1-3/4" drag pipes. The bike ran great with that setup, but the exhaust was annoyingly loud.
The first thing I did was put the header pipes and the muffler together on the living room floor. I noticed that the heat shields, on the header pipes, didn't quite go far enough aft, to cover the weld area, where the two header pipes and the muffler come together. I loosened the heat shields and tapped on the collector area, with a rubber mallet. This moved them enough to cover everything.
Next I took the bung plugs out, wiped them off,loctited them and tightened them back in.
Side note: It was a PITA getting the copper exhaust gaskets to fit into the ports.
The Fat Cat fit perfect.
It was very hard getting the upper/outboard flange nut on the aft cylinder. It may of helped if the heat shield was relieved ,another 1/4", in that area.
I ended up with some extra hardware: a 3/8 x 1-1/2"L socket head cap screw and 2 little black caps.
I used the 4- 3/8" bolts,2 nuts and 2 lock-washers that they supplied, to attach the hanger bracket.They also supplied 6 flat washers, but they were for 5/16" bolts, so I used my own.
Per instructions :I tightened starting from the aft bracket, then the muffler, then the exhaust flanges. I used a torque wrench on the muffler clamp bolt.
I am happy with the fit,look,sound and performance of the Fat Cat. It does not seem like the bike will need to be re-tuned.
I did notice heat against my leg, when sitting still at a light and I also touched my leg against the pipe when backing into a spot. I could feel the heat through my jeans, so I pulled away before I burned myself. Didn't have that with the Rip Saws. It seems the aft cylinder pipe sticks out further then my old exhaust.
Tom

Old 12-09-2008, 04:16 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you bike looks awsome with that exhaust on it. Did you notice and power increase?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

It pulls very strong. Switching from drag pipes, to a 2 into 1 exhaust, should be a noticeable difference, but I didn't notice that much. With my Rip Saws on, the bike also pulled very strong, with no lag in the lower rpm range. I can feel the back pressure difference in the bike just cruising, where there was no back pressure feel, with the drag pipes. It almost feels like it is holding me back when I am at a steady rpm. I know it isn't, it is just a different feel then I am not use to.
The reason it took me 2-1/2 years to change out my, annoyingly loud, exhaust was because the bike ran so great with the Rip Saws. I am very pleased with how the Fat Cat sounds, looks and performs. I'm sure if I did some timed runs the Fat Cat would show better then the Rip Saws, but I couldn't tell seat of the pants wise.
Tom

Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

TM: I am also thinking of putting a set of D&D's with quiet baffles on my 07 Heritage.
You said you like the new sound but could you compare the sound of it to other mufflers systems a little better. either quieter, same as or louder than! ballpark guess would be OK.
I have heard that the standard baffles is loud but have not heard any D&D's in real life as I cant find any around my area and I have looked..
I now have Rush slip on / 2" baffles and though I really like the sound of them I am looking for more perfromance with the bolt in cam I m installing this winter.
So I'm mixed up on which one to buy, Quiet or standard?

Any input would help greatly.... thanks Oct1949

One more, does the muffler drag on right hand turns as it looks a little low. I have never drug my floorboards so I dont think it would be an issue?

Last edited by oct1949; 12-26-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-27-2008, 10:20 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

I went with the quiet baffle, after reading quite a few good reviews on it. It is still a lot louder then a stock exhaust. The quiet baffle puts out a bit more torque and has a deeper, better, quality sound then the standard. The Fat Cat is quieter then the V&H big radius 2 into 2. I have the 103" engine, so it will sound louder on my setup then a 96" or 88".

My SE Fat Boy comes lowered approximately 1" in the rear. I am use to watching how far I lean the bike so I don't screw up my floorboards, so I haven't had a problem with scraping the Fat Cat so far.

Another reason I like the Fat Cat is because it does sit low and doesn't cover up the chrome covers on my engine/transmission.
You could also look into the new Low Cat, that has the muffler swept up, for better ground clearance. I thought the Low Cat would dump, too close, to the bottom, of my saddlebag.

I am very happy with the Fat Cat as far as sound,appearance and performance.
Tom

Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am pleased immensely with the D&D Fat Cats on my best. Also equipped with the quiet baffles.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Centerline,
You need to put some pictures of your bike in an album.
Tom

Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Centerline,
You need to put some pictures of your bike in an album.
Tom
Hey Tom, good idea. Until then, here is a link to my Fat Bob albumn on Photobucket w/ about 135 photos .......

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...eF4/Fat%20Bob/

Last edited by Centerline; 01-07-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: link
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
luckyavenger06
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
Thanks for the great info. I'm looking into the Fat Cats for my Heritage and am wondering what the cruising sound is like. Do they quiet down when you're tooling down the road or do they drone? I've already done enough damage to my hearing and a droning exhaust splits my head wide open -lol.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The d&d 2 into 1 is an awesome pipe!! I installed mine the day before christmas and i love it!! I bought mine used and replaced the big bore baffle with a std baffle and it sounds amazing...real throaty but not overly loud.
I cant wait to install some cams and tune this sucker on a dyno...

Quick Reply: D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 with quiet baffle