Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

HJC Sy-max II broken screw boss on chin guard

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts
Default HJC Sy-max II broken screw boss on chin guard

I own an HJC Sy-max II modular flip-up.
While inspecting the helmet i noticed a bubble on the inside of the chin bar located were tape has been placed by HJC to cover screws.
Upon removal of the tape i noticed that two screws on interior of chin guard (the bottom screw on each side) were completely loose due to a broken boss on chin bar.
Webbike World has a complete report.
I contacted HJC by email and have received no response but i contacted the internet seller and they want it mailed back.
Seller says they will repair/replace within 4 to 6 weeks.
If you have this helmet consider reading the link,checking for this problem and contacting the manufacturer and retailer.
My helmets are about 3 years old and the one with the least amount of use was the one with the problem.
Also note that i checked my second helmet and that one was OK so the situation is hit or miss.
Link to story on web bike world
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ip-up-failure/

Last edited by im; 01-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Just an update:
Waiting on return of shipped helmet.
I checked my other Sy-max II modular flip up.
Front chin bar screws were OK but i wanted to check the helmet in detail so i decided to remove the snap-in check pads, then removed the small phillips screw that holds the liner below the cheek pad, then removed the side styrofoam on each side of the helmet ..no damage is done in this process and it is rather easy to do..Of the three screws that hold the chin bar at the interior pevit point on each side ...two were totally loose on each side..these are good screws and they enter a brass type fitting in the helmet but it seems like nobody applied any kind of threadlocker on the screws...disappointed..but i applied the threadlocker, reassembled and all is good...if you own this helmet or similar it might be a good idea to check them at least yearly..in my opinion if you use a helmet you should check yearly anyways..

Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

I never got a response from HJC even after two emails and two phone calls but the internet seller did respond immediately and was excellent at follow-up communication.
The internet seller says:
Distributor reports that helmet is no longer in production and that repair was not possible due to unavailable parts??? so a store credit in the FULL amount of purchase was issued.
If you own a Sy-MAX II helmet or have a friend that owns one please inform them of the information i shared.
If you do not remember the seller or the store is unwilling/unable to help then contact the distributor directly and be persistent.
If you got the helmet in the USA it would have been sourced by Castle Sales, Helmet House or Sullivans and there is a tag inside with initials.. I think S.I is Sullivans while H.H is Helmet House.
This link will show the Distributors, contact numbers, email make sure to look at top right for distribution link:
http://www.hjchelmets.com/
http://www.hjchelmets.com/region_1.htm

Last edited by im; 02-22-2013 at 05:44 PM.