Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

pre week rally 2015 Sturgis week

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
well it depends.....if your staying in the super 8 and eating at mcdonalds you are not in the way....if you camp and eat or drink at the bars in town then yes YOUR IN THE WAY!!!
I still don't understand what you mean by "in the way".
Why do you care? You're not there until the next week anyway.

If the campground, hotel, bar or restaurant is not able to serve then they shouldn't be open.

But I will say, I don't spend but a couple hours in Sturgis anyway.
I just walk up one side of the street and down the other side, stopping by the open shops, getting my t-shirts, belts, and other crap.

Then it's back up to either Deadwood's Hickok Hotel or my relative's vacation home near Sheridan Lake.

I lived in Rapid City for 12 years and have been back every summer since 1993 so I know all about what the area is and what Sturgis is like.

I spent much time during many Rallys at the Chip and and on main street so "I've been there and done that".
That's why whenever we are going to the Black Hills with the bike I do the pre-Sturgis and get the hell out of there before the first weekend in Aug.

Next year we are skipping the pre-Sturgis and heading down to the Ozarks while the crowds are all in the Black Hills.

Last edited by Bluraven; 10-29-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I still don't understand what you mean by "in the way".
Why do you care? You're not there until the next week anyway.

If the campground, hotel, bar or restaurant is not able to serve then they shouldn't be open.

But I will say, I don't spend but a couple hours in Sturgis anyway.
I just walk up one side of the street and down the other side, stopping by the open shops, getting my t-shirts, belts, and other crap.

Then it's back up to either Deadwood's Hickok Hotel or my relative's vacation home near Sheridan Lake.

I lived in Rapid City for 12 years and have been back every summer since 1993 so I know all about what the area is and what Sturgis is like.

I spent much time during many Rallys at the Chip and and on main street so "I've been there and done that".
That's why whenever we are going to the Black Hills with the bike I do the pre-Sturgis and get the hell out of there before the first weekend in Aug.

Next year we are skipping the pre-Sturgis and heading down to the Ozarks while the crowds are all in the Black Hills.
LOL....so you best advice is during Rally head to Ozarks?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,255 Likes on 11,140 Posts

It's a very simple choice:

1) if you want to rally experience with all the vendors, crazy people, concerts, revelry, want to do the great rides, don't mind crowds, traffic, and big prices...then go during rally week.

2) if all you want are the rides go some other time.

Then there is the hybrids. Go midweek before the rally, and stay until midweek during the rally.

Someone put it well, when the question came up before the 2014 rally.
Going before the rally is like going to a stadium a week before the Stones appear. Then sitting in the stands by yourself listening to the Stones on your iPod.

Oh...IMHO...some of you are just a bunch of old fudy duddies. Let your hair down and enjoy. For example:

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Went out for my first time in 2011 and did the prreweek and enjoyed myself. Lots to see, plenty of bikes. Not a drinker and can give a crap about the bands at B Chip so I didn't miss nothing.

A couple of us are going out for the 75th and doing preweek again and leaving the day after the official start.
Have a blast with that!

Last edited by TriGeezer; 10-29-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Milwaukeebuddy
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

WoW, every time there is a sturgis related thread the crowd haters chime in. Seems like a lot of people need to be medicated at the sight of people. If its not your thing then why chime in? Trying to convince others to avoid crowds part of your therapy plan?

Don't be loser's and claim to have been to Sturgis cause you were on main street on Saturday morning before the rally. Direct your group right to the Full Throttle Saloon and belly up to any one of the bars. Your gunna be within walking distance cause your gunna camp at the Buffalo Chip. Not some gay azz hotel! geez, use your lodging savings to rip off a hundred rounds at the machine gun pit and live like a man. Or you could substitute getting ink for the shooting. Either way is acceptable. Just remember to eat a smoked turkey leg when you are getting inked. I don't know why, its just better. Its goes well with the free beer as well.

I swear a lot of people on this forum think "Wild Hogs" to be a hard riding adventure that they couldn't handle. Don't be scared. Most likely you will survive to work another day.

Sturgis won't be any more crowded than usual. The "69" was to be larger. It wasn't. The 70th was to be big. It wasn't. etc. etc. I think the rally has gotten smaller every year in the last decade. Blame that on the economy probably.

The experience will be great which ever way you choose. I hope this helped you make a decision.

PS: If your small and frail and have way to much bike then you can handle then yes, you should go prior to the rally for everyone's sake.

Last edited by Milwaukeebuddy; 10-30-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
LOL....so you best advice is during Rally head to Ozarks?
Well for next year that's the current plan.
I've never ridden the Ozarks and I hear it's a great ride.

However the reason to pre-plan for Sturgis is basically due to lodging and since my relatives vacation home is empty during Sturgis I've got that covered.

I'm more about the ride than the party.
When you get 400,000 motorcycle enthusiast all in the Black Hills at the same time, the ride suffers

That being said, there's nothing like Sturgis.
So everyone needs to experience it good and bad at least once.
If next year is anything like the 50th, it will be a huge memory and a good one at that.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Since during Rally Week it's so crowded it seems a lot of people are going the week before. I dislike crowds so much that I am going to go the week AFTER......

It does seem odd to go so close to Rally Week and not go during Rally Week. I'm going to go the year after I think. Does seem something you gotta experience at least once. I will probably go a few days before to get my riding in the area out of the way, then a few days during to experience the rally.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
It's a very simple choice:

1) if you want to rally experience with all the vendors, crazy people, concerts, revelry, want to do the great rides, don't mind crowds, traffic, and big prices...then go during rally week.

2) if all you want are the rides go some other time.
Put perfectly.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:15 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Milwaukeebuddy
WoW, every time there is a sturgis related thread the crowd haters chime in. Seems like a lot of people need to be medicated at the sight of people. If its not your thing then why chime in? Trying to convince others to avoid crowds part of your therapy plan?

Don't be loser's and claim to have been to Sturgis cause you were on main street on Saturday morning before the rally. Direct your group right to the Full Throttle Saloon and belly up to any one of the bars. Your gunna be within walking distance cause your gunna camp at the Buffalo Chip. Not some gay azz hotel! geez, use your lodging savings to rip off a hundred rounds at the machine gun pit and live like a man. Or you could substitute getting ink for the shooting. Either way is acceptable. Just remember to eat a smoked turkey leg when you are getting inked. I don't know why, its just better. Its goes well with the free beer as well.

I swear a lot of people on this forum think "Wild Hogs" to be a hard riding adventure that they couldn't handle. Don't be scared. Most likely you will survive to work another day.

Sturgis won't be any more crowded than usual. The "69" was to be larger. It wasn't. The 70th was to be big. It wasn't. etc. etc. I think the rally has gotten smaller every year in the last decade. Blame that on the economy probably.

The experience will be great which ever way you choose. I hope this helped you make a decision.

PS: If your small and frail and have way to much bike then you can handle then yes, you should go prior to the rally for everyone's sake.
Funny, isn't it? LMAO!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

We arrive on Friday prior to Sturgis start..ride the area and leave Tues morning for Montana and down thru Grand Tetons and onto Grand Junction (CO) and Durango and over to Santa Fe (NM) and back to Texas...