Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping equipment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:12 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Great recommendations above. I don't care for cooking at camp but do need a good cup of coffee in the morning. For that, the already mentioned Jet Boil and an Aeropress coffee kit get it done. I grind enough espresso roast at home and pack it with Aeropress. Got them both through Amazon.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I think I'm past the age for camping, but I'd suggest that you start with a minimum of equipment to see how you like it and what other equipment that you either need or want.
Staying warm and dry is the main issue when camping.
Get a good tent, a good sleeping bag that's rated for the temps you intend to be camping in, a sleeping bag ground mat, and a plastic ground sheet to place under your tent.

Many campgrounds have a small stores that sells the usual items and many also sell hot coffee but I usually try to make it to the nearest restaurant or truck stop for coffee and chow.

Another issue these days is personal security as well as securing your "stuff" when camping so be careful of where you camp and have some sort of defensive weapon (legal of course) just in case.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 AM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a two man low profile tent it is made for back packing it is the most important think shelter. Camp More has nice tent that well hold up in high winds, rain and snow. I like a self inflating mattress, down bag and wool blankets, a peek camp stove one burner pump tanks. It works up to 12,000' elevation and uses regular gas or white gas you can buy extra fuel cells and bring a siphon-hose about 5' long 1/2" gas line. Coffee pot is a most have and combo cook set. All of this stuff needs to fit in a dry bag I use a rock climber frame-less back pack. If you are in the back country you'll need rope to hang the bag of food from them varmints. As for your food and water that is on you.
You can carry more I don't.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebirdsride1
If you are in the back country you'll need rope to hang the bag of food from them varmints....
Yup! Mini-bears..aka chipmunks and racoons will make short work of bags and tent walls to get at some yummy smelling stuff. Even clothes with a lot of food smell. Ya don't want real bears either.

A shakedown cruise, one nighter not too far is a good idea to realize what you can/need to carry and how to pack it. Other words, realize what you forgot and what you can do without. RV parks often have laundry rooms, pools, those stores mentioned above, and we have shared some great times with real nice folks at those. Once our neighbors for the night saw us heating our cans of stew on our tiny coleman stove and brought over all kinds of additions to the meal. We talked for hours since they were going where we had been and vice versa.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:46 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a North Face Tadpole tent. It is small, light and folds up small. Make sure the rain fly covers the entire tent. Take sleeping bags rated for the season, neither too hot or too cold. I use a backpacker stove for coffee and sometimes breakfast.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM
oc1014
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bike camp often. My go to items are, Phone charger, Eureka Apex 2 tent, ground cover just big enough for the tent foot print, Pocket Rocket pack stove with one full can of fuel and foil for a wind screen, Two cup stateless pot with handle cut way down from the Goodwill, instant coffee tubes, sheep skin off the bike seat is my sleep mat, sleeping bag depends on temps, para cord ( indispensable), Glock, quality led flash light, rain gear etc. etc. All of this will fit in a Tou Pack. Go for a one night trip to give your gear a shake down and find what works best for YOU.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

A couple of things I like bring that I haven't seen mentioned.
A cooler with a couple of plastic plates, utensils and a small left over container that all fit nicely in the cooler. What I like to do is buy those whole cooked chickens, prepared salads and tortillas at a food mart. I use the tortillas for eating roadside. Instead of ice I use a bottle of water that most campground owners will be glad to leave in their freezer overnight for you especially if you buy it from them. You can drink it and no water splashing around either. One pointer always have your fluids in plastic containers . I once had a paper carton of chocolate milk burst . Don't forget garbage bags.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Carmo-25
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A simple one; a water bottle! So many times I've forgotten to bring one and I've had to fork out a couple of bucks at a service station to grab a bottle for the day only to forget one the next time and have to repeat the process. We all know how service stations like to increase the price aswel so it all adds up over time. During the heat of summer down here it pays to have water ready to go from the start.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In 1973 when I was 18 years old I rode cross country on a Sportster (they were junk back then, AMF days, we carried duct tape and bailing wire). We camped out and experienced the heat of Missouri to the cold of the Rockies, had basic equipment and learned and acquired additional equipment as we went.

Now all I need is a credit card.my version of camping is roughing it in a Days Inn as opposed to the Luxury of a Holiday Inn. Each to his own I guess. I can put up with heat, cold, rain, etc. if I know that at the end of the day I have a heated/air conditioned room with a hot shower.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

I will second several items: The Roc Straps are a great item for strapping something to a bike. Make sure the tent fly covers the entire tent. These days most suppliers have reviews of their items. Make sure the tent has a lot of good comments about keeping you dry.

Quick Reply: Camping equipment