Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping equipment

Old 09-21-2014, 08:29 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Camping equipment

I'm looking for ideas and tips on camping solo while doing 4-5 day tours. Tents, sleeping bags, cooking equipment....etc. I have nothing right now. What have you guys used? What works and what doesn't? I have a Road King so can carry quite a bit but obviously want to keep the weight to a minimum. Also where should I look for decent stuff? I have Amazon Prime so will likely do most of my purchases there, but would like to know what brands to look for. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 AM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

As for camping gear, I've never bought motorcycle specific gear though I've seen it available. I get most of my lite weight and compact camping gear in the hiking sections at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

I like to hike & camp and kayak & camp and occasionally motorcyle & camp. The one thing I do different with motorcycle camping from the other camping formats is that I don't take any food while motorcycle camping. I like eating at local "non-chain" establishments while on the road and I've never been so isolated while road touring that I need to carry cooking gear and meals with me on the bike. Might be different if I was into adventure riding miles from the nearest paved road.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,473 Likes on 4,600 Posts

Don`t go cheap when you buy a tent.

You will be looking at tents designed for backpackers, they will be light and pack up small.

When you look for them online, you should check the specs to see the actual width and length of the tent. You want the tent to be at least a foot longer than your height.

I have an REI Half Dome 2 + tent. It is great for one person and all your gear will fit inside. I had to get the + because I`m 6`1". They also make a shorter version, the Half Dome 2, for about 30 bucks less.

This is a great tent, easy to set up and packs very small.

There are several REI stores in Minnesota (I think near you), and you can also buy online. They won`t be the cheapest place to buy your gear, but they will have folks to help you find what you are looking for, and the company stands behind their products.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 1,435 Posts

I also ride a RK, have done a few 2 week+ camping trips. For cooking I have a JetBoil stove, it will boil water in a couple minutes great for a morning cup of coffee or instant oatmeal etc.

For a tent I have a Eureka Apex 2, nice little tent with 2 large vestibules. Ridden out some heavy rains in it with no problem.

Also carry a fold up chair made by Helinox, very light weight & packs up very small. Beats always sitting at a picnic table.

For a sleeping bag nothing fancy there, one that packs up relatively small, moderate insulation. Also carry a fleece blanket that I use 80% of the time.

Air mattress is a must, Thermarest self inflating.

Plus a lot of misc things.

My gear is always evolving, all the time I have for now, pm me if you have guestions

Last edited by Bricklayer; 09-21-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,473 Likes on 4,600 Posts

Even if you do not plan to cook, I suggest you pack a small stove such as the one Bricklayer has.

Carry a couple of dehydrated/freeze dried meals (Mountain House makes some very good ones), you never know when you will be arriving later than planned, and no time to stop for a meal.

And a fresh brewed cup of coffee before you start to pack up the gear...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 09-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Buy the best tent you can afford...

Old 09-21-2014, 01:59 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roc straps to tie everything down on the rack with they are by far the best. Another good idea a fella campin near me at sturgis taught me was get those dry bags that kayakers use to put all your stuff in that you want to stay absolutely dry. So it will keep stuff dry in you travels and when your at your destination load it up with studd that isnt needed in the tent and it will stay dry outside the tent.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.rei.com/map/store#MN

One stop shopping for all of your camping needs. Buy the best quality you can afford.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:28 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what others have said only want to chime in with go check out Midwest Mountaineering and go upstairs to thrifty outfitters. Can get some great deals on equipment both new and used. It is a must stop every time we are in the area. I use an REI tent with a "porch" area and keep my bag and boots in there at night.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Hammocks are an option, depending on where you want to go. Sometimes trees are sparse. Sleeping pads or air mattress can make a major difference. We used to hit a room every 3rd or 4th night. Agree with a good metal pole rei or good brand tent. Kelty, big agnes, eureka... A cheaper version may do good but if you use it a lot, a heavy rain day is not when you want to find out it leaks.

Bags can be added to with liners and extra blanket in colder times, without for warmer trips. I always remember a trip from big bend... 100ish degree days to the new mexico rockies and much cooler

Also carried a single burner camp stove, but there is merit in the eat out approach posted above

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camping equipment