Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

400 Miles for Chicken Gizzards

Old 09-22-2014, 02:05 AM
smke54
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 Miles for Chicken Gizzards

Having recently joined my local HOG chapter, I was anxious to try my first group ride. The first ride scheduled after joining was a 3-day Triple D themed ride to Detriot(from the Chicago area). Now as a new rider I knew that there was no way I could make that. But I thought I could start out and ride for as long as I was comfortable and then just return home on my own. Not till the morning of the ride did I find out things had changed and it was now just a one day lunch ride. Still it was about 200 miles one way to our destination. So, I'm thinking it's still too far for me to attempt, but I'll start out and see what happens.
Well guess what?--I made it all the way to Potterville MI for lunch at Joe's Gizzard City! I had never rode more then 75 miles in a day before.
The return ride was pretty unremarkable, oh, except for the 90 miles of rain!
Luckily our Road Captain packed an extra rain suit that I could use, not having one of my own yet(I will before my next ride!).
All in all a day of firsts for me--1st group ride(4 bikes, 1 passenger),1st all day ride, 1st rain ride and 1st(and last)deep fried chicken gizzard!
And I wouldn't change a thing. Except for me being better prepared.
Thanks to Jeff, Gary, Jim and Lee Ann for puttin' up with a newbie. Cindy too!
Next ride I'm shooting for--Turkey ******** Festival. I'm sensing a theme here.

My bike-- 2014 Iron

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like quite an experience for you. Glad you had an available rain suit. I don't carry one and I plan to stay away from rain as much as possible.

I prefer being grounded when the pavement turns wet and the danger level goes up. Been pretty lucky only to get hit with a few "splash and dash" type showers. I'll be the guy setting under an overpass, or parked in a self serve car wash bay when the rain gets heavy.

Grandfather used to pan fry gizzards and for some reason I remember liking them in bacon grease. Think I'd rather have thighs, legs or wings, or the occasional well prepared breast. Not sure Turkey ***** have any appeal, including Bull's ball too. I will eat deer heart, but no liver on my menu ever again, don't care how you cook it.

Thanks for sharing your ride, always fun to hear about someone's adventures. Check out mine from a couple of weeks ago. 2014 Bikes On The Bricks. September 12th, 13th & 14th in Flint, MI