Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Arkansas Motorcycle Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfinds
LOL...Obviously, not. Last thing I want to do is get in a sticky situation or god forbid....drop my bike. I am debating going to ride the blue ridge pkwy next week and concerned about the mountain elevations. I hjave ridden bikes my whole life, but always on flat ground and this bike is the largest. If it were my old fatboy, it wouldnt be a concern.

Any mountainous area will have some steep driveways and such. I recall pulling off at a restaurant in Little Switzerland NC. The driveway was quite steep. It had been a long day and I stupidly rode straight down the hill into the parking space nose 1st. Needless to say, after a nice lunch I got to burn some calories muscling the loaded Ultra up an incline backwards. Moral - plan ahead. In your case, seek level ground to stop on.

On the topic - Arkansas is one of my favorite riding states. Eureka Springs is a great hub to base out of. But again, some very steep driveways and streets.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Golfinds
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Im headed to Eureka Springs in June with a bunch of guys, but the terrain is weighing heavy on me. I dont mind searching for options as long as they exist.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Im headed to Eureka Springs in June with a bunch of guys, but the terrain is weighing heavy on me. I dont mind searching for options as long as they exist.
I ride to Eureka Springs seveal times a year, great motorcycle destination. I can't think of any terrain issues that should give a flatlander cause for concern as long as they pay attention to where you park.

Kinda ironic, the two times I came closest to spilling my bike were both in Florida and both were because of sand, once in a parking lot and once at an intersection.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I would worry about the riding more than the parking. I've come across a wreck every ride I've done down there lately. There is no forgiveness beyond the fog line in Arkansas.

Watch your entrance speeds. There's no better place to have fun but there are a lot of descending radius curves.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Golfinds
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advice is much appreciated. Looking forward to the trip.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

They've had paved roads in Arkansas for quite some time now, and even put stripes on the roads and signs for curves and other potential road hazards. Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing that is a concern for anyone who has graduated from a cage to a bike in their lifetime, or has ridden around a sweeping curve in the past 20 years or so. However, they cannot protect against stupid, so don't overdrive your comfort zone -- and you'll wonder why you didn't make the trip sooner.

???!