Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Snowbird...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Snowbird...

From north Illinois first year as a real snowbird to Ft Myers, FL...leaving 1st week of December to 1st week of May...
Thinking of taking my RK with me....how dangerous are the drivers? Any good roads down south Florida..should I? Or shouln't I take the bike?
I have done all the touristy stuff by car....
Thanks.....

Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Cant imagine being in Florida for 5 months without my Harley.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same dilemma in NE Wisconsin. We will be in Punta Gorda for just 2 months, February and March. I toyed with the idea of trailering my Trike to FL but my current thinking is that I won't. Not that I'm young and never make mistakes but there are a lot of elderly drivers in FL in winter who don't always do well behind the wheel. But I'm only going for 2 months. I might rethink that if I was going for 5 months like you are.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 2,566 Posts

If I was going to Florida for a week during the winter, the bike is coming with me. Six months it is not a conversation, I am all in for south Florida winter riding.

Obvious ride is the Keys, also the everglades are a good time. For me it would be about the ability to ride when most others are shut away due to white stuff.

Cage drivers pretty much suck everywhere, wouldn't use that as a deciding factor. I have ridden in Florida during the winter several times, no worse then other places.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
I have the same dilemma in NE Wisconsin. We will be in Punta Gorda for just 2 months, February and March. I toyed with the idea of trailering my Trike to FL but my current thinking is that I won't. Not that I'm young and never make mistakes but there are a lot of elderly drivers in FL in winter who don't always do well behind the wheel. But I'm only going for 2 months. I might rethink that if I was going for 5 months like you are.
Where do stay in Punta Gorda? You rent an apartment? Just curious, as i'm almost 100% retired.

Thank you,

Racer

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't go south without it.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:46 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

I have ridden in Florida and like anywhere else the cities and tourist areas can be congested so you have to be extra careful, but out of the cities on the back roads it can be most pleasant.
I know it is not Florida, but I wintered in Arizona and the bike most definitely was coming with me. Now there is some AWESOME riding to be had there.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:03 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer99
Where do stay in Punta Gorda? You rent an apartment? Just curious, as i'm almost 100% retired.

Thank you,

Racer

We rented a house in Punta Gorda Isles. Lots of rental listings at www.homeaway.com and www.vrbo.com.

The house is on a canal with access to the Gulf so I'm still searching for a boat to rent.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Racer99
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
We rented a house in Punta Gorda Isles. Lots of rental listings at www.homeaway.com and www.vrbo.com.

The house is on a canal with access to the Gulf so I'm still searching for a boat to rent.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM
mister o
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default take it

you still have a window of opportunity to ride it to ft. myers. did that from southern wi a couple years ago. plan to do it every year once i retire. gives you a good excuse to ride it back in the spring - 2 road trips for the price of one! if you can't, then trailer or ship. not that expensive. roads are flat and mostly straight, but is there really a bad road if it means you can be riding your bike instead of looking at pictures of it parked in your illinois garage? why waste 5 months of perfectly good riding weather? besdies, there are plenty of decent local diners in hundreds of little towns throughout fl. have you ever met a HD rider who didn't like food, even the fried florida variety?

Quick Reply: Snowbird...