Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road King trips!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:42 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Road King trips!

I am lucky enough to live In Ft Worth texas where the weather is usually nice enough year round to get miles in.
I traded and bought my 2013 RK Classic June 29th, 2014. i immediately took a trip to Arkansas the following week, riding the PIG trail, Talihina Rt 1 and all over Fayetteville. In September, we rode out to Ruidoso, NM for the rally, then in the spring we rode down to the 3 sister, staying in Leaky. June we rode to Milwaukee to see the muesem, visiting Leclair Iowa, Anamosa Iowa, Field of dreams, house on the rock, etc.
then trailered to Sturgis where we put 1000 miles on in 5 days during the rally.

This past weekend, we rode to broken bow OK an up to Hotchitown for the weekend and back.

WE, in all cases are my wife and I, almost 50 years old, riding the simplistic Road King classic we a couple of Scala radios and a tourpack to pack our goodies.

My wife loves riding on the back of the bike, loooking and remarking on the passing scenery as we roll by. Usually we trip with other couples, sometimes several, and enjoy the comraderie at the end of each days ride.
Our beloved rk classic now has 11000 miles on it, mostly 2 up touring with some local trips and some rides to work when i need my fix.

I was just feeling nostalgic for all of the rides we have managed since trading in our old 1999 rk classic for the new one. We put a lot of miles on the old one as well but usuall one or 2 trips a year. now we are planning trips on regular basis and looking forward to riding out to the Dragon in 2015 and then doing the pacific coast highway laster in the summer.

I really enjoy reading the road trip forums and looking at everyones rides and advice so when we do our trips, we are prepared!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:16 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

I did things backward and am almost g-parent age of my youngest kid. Puts a kink in just running off...school. That said, he is my main passenger. We have logged several cross AR trips over our first wet Arkansas summer with "our" road king. His love of riding was one of the main boosts in mom saying we needed a real touring bike as we looked at a few thousand in upgrades to the honda we had. Looking forward to some real road trips. Colorado got nixed for us last summer.

I, too, love reading the ideas, details, reports, pics...the info here and piping in when I know what someone is asking about.

Happy trails to you two.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM
Suruchi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi Kevin, we are in fort worth too. we should try to get together for a "get to know you ride". we ride with the FW HOG group but owuld love to meet some other folks to do other rides with also. we are relatively new to riding. My hubby rode before we ever met and now that we own an ultra, we love to go together.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Yep, I understand your delema.
I have a 14 RK and racked up many miles...I like it.
Had a Fatbob and did the same thing...I liked it too.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:35 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

That RK is a great all around bike. I like my Limited and have had a couple RK's but was just thinking I just may go back that way.....especially since I ride solo. You've got some great riding nearby. Obviously you folks are enjoying it.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Good to see you and your wife are able to get out and enjoy your RK. And you're fortunate to live where it's still nice to ride! My Road King has maybe 500 miles now and that'll probably be it for this season. Once they start brining and salting the roads I'll winterize it.
So far I'm liking the change from EG to RK. It's not bad the way it is but once I get a seat and lower windshield it'll be dialed in just perfect for me.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:13 PM
94ruck
Road Captain

I am a FW hog member but i have done few social events. i got a buddy that has started working in the parts department at FT Worth HD and we frequent the place occasionally.
We also run a winter dirt bike series in North Texas so we when climb off the RKC we climb on to KTMs to ride in the woods all winter.
My wife doesn't ride her own bikes but she does enjoy riding on the Harley alot. we are looking forward to planning our next adventure!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 PM
94ruck
Road Captain

Hey Road King Q, i see you are from Northern Arkansas. I am a Missourian by birth and frequently ride there and around Arkansas on both street and dirt. My dad is a member and trail king at Cloud 9 ranch near Caulfield Missouri just across the border from Arkansas. I think some of the best riding in the country is around ya'all!

Old 11-04-2014, 06:14 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Cool... I am actually a foreigner ...up here from south Louisiana almost 20 years ago. Love theses hills. Moreso in the upcoming season..no leaves, ticks, more water in the streams.. I love hiking in and driving thru.

As you would know, winter up here can be like you mentioned in big D area... some years a lot of ridable weekends with 50 60 degree weather. Just stay on 4 wheels when the ice and salt hit. That's what the jeep is for

I have some big areas in the Mt Home area over where you mentioned yet to explore. Have always wanted to get up to the Current/Jack Fork area too

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 AM
94ruck
Road Captain

Suruchi, we are busy the next few weeks but i like the idea of getting to know more of the group. we have several friend in the area that ride as couples and my brother in Missouri also rides with his wife and we meet all over to get in a 3 day trip.
Road King Q, Hiway 160 across the bottom of Missouri is a great ride and there are great 2 lane roads all the way to the Missouri river through some of the prettiest land in the country.

Quick Reply: Road King trips!