Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

I'm gonna get my kicks on RT66

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:06 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Granddaughter "Standin on the Corner".

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...pseb5fa0c5.jpg

Corvette at Hackberry General Store

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...ps92ed931b.jpg

Bill

Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Granddaughter "Standin on the Corner".

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...pseb5fa0c5.jpg

Corvette at Hackberry General Store

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4...ps92ed931b.jpg

Bill
Pretty girl. Nice Vette.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:11 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

My first trip on Route 66, Chicago to California and back, was in 1959. Ok, no, I wasn't driving, I was in the back seat.

I still remember that first trip, though. I've been over major sections of it probably ten times since. The last time I drove it was around five years ago. I'll add one more suggestion to underscore one that was already made: do NOT miss out on seeing the Grand Canyon. Seriously, it's one of those exceptionally rare sights that truly justify the hype. You'll stand there, at the edge of the parking lot, looking over the railing, and the thought running through your mind will be: "This. Can't. Be. Real".

It is. Trust me. Go see it.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
My first trip on Route 66, Chicago to California and back, was in 1959. Ok, no, I wasn't driving, I was in the back seat.

I still remember that first trip, though. I've been over major sections of it probably ten times since. The last time I drove it was around five years ago. I'll add one more suggestion to underscore one that was already made: do NOT miss out on seeing the Grand Canyon. Seriously, it's one of those exceptionally rare sights that truly justify the hype. You'll stand there, at the edge of the parking lot, looking over the railing, and the thought running through your mind will be: "This. Can't. Be. Real".

It is. Trust me. Go see it.
It is one big hole in the ground, Pretty amazing

Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Thanks again folks! I have been to the Grand Canyon, just not on my bike. The wife and kids and I took the Amtrak out several years ago for a family vacation. Absolutely awesome sight.

Joe Mc - I have stood right where you are in your sig pic at Jackson Hole WY. Bought a nice pair of Boulet bison skin boots there at the store behind you and to your left. I love that area of the country.

More things than just my age working against me on getting to take these long trips my friend. Oh well, you play the hand your dealt or just fold out.

Your grand daughter is a very lovely young lady billnourse!

LiiT

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM
mike lhc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into a National Park Pass? See what you can hit on the way in. Sedona area Grand Cyn, Vegas, Death Valley??? Joshua tree....

Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 AM
harleyglen
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We were in vegas last year and we hired a heritage from vegas HD and rode some of r66, we went to kingman which is a nice place full of route 66 stuff and great little café there called Mr Dz route 66 diner. We also rode to Hackberry general store which is great and defo worth a visit. We had a great time and rode about 300 miles, only regret is we ran out of time so never went to Oatman and never got to go to Kingman HD and grab a t shirt.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey OP, I've got a long trip planned for next year too and a portion of that will be running the entire length of Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA. There's a lot on the web but I found this site to be helpful....it covers state-by-state and describes some of the highlights within each state. Enjoy your trip.

http://roadtripusa.com/routes/route66/route66.html

Old 12-15-2014, 11:36 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Been to Rt. 66 from Seligman to Needles on a Harley Rental. My lady and I stopped at Seligman's Rt. 66, Ice Cream Parlor, Restaurant, Stores, Bar and Motel. So sad to see an iconic town fading away over the years. Paid a visit at Grand Canyon Caverns. So cool to know that they were prepared to save lives from War as they got survivor kit (bunch of barrels there). Also, They got one room motel in the cavern as well. Kinda cool to spend the romantic nighty in an eerie feeling.

Roads were OK here and there. Lots of history that can not be explained on here. Stopped at Cool Springs Gas Station just to browse. Walked around Oatman where there are sightings of burros. Some are friendly, Some aren't. See a lot of turd droppings everywhere in the town. A lot of cool biz names in Oatman cuz you definitely need to stop, enjoy the sightings and ask the locals to tell you stories on how Oatman established by miners many years ago.

Have a safe trip,

Thorey

Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I hate to be a naysayer(not really), but if this is your first time out west don't take Rt. 66. Ride across Kansas and eastern Colorado as fast as you can. Then either ride across southern or central Colorado, then southern Utah and then down to the Grand Canyon. West of Flagstaff, Rt. 66 may have some points of interest, but IMO there is nothing of interest between Tulsa Ok and Flagstaff Az. Your options in Colorado, Utah and Arizona are unlimited. Don't pass up these areas for a romantic ride that no longer exist.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 12-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm gonna get my kicks on RT66