Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

I'm gonna get my kicks on RT66

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:50 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,028 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I hate to be a naysayer(not really), but if this is your first time out west don't take Rt. 66. Ride across Kansas and eastern Colorado as fast as you can. Then either ride across southern or central Colorado, then souther Utah and then down to the Grand Canyon. West of Flagstaff, Rt. 66 may have some points of interest, but IMO there is nothing of interest between Tulsa Ok and Flagstaff Az. Your options in Colorado, Utah and Arizona are unlimited. Don't pass up these areas for a romantic ride that no longer exist.
Ditto---have done it 7 times----Rocker:

Old 12-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed, lots of great info here. Enjoy your ride!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
Been to Rt. 66 from Seligman to Needles on a Harley Rental. My lady and I stopped at Seligman's Rt. 66, Ice Cream Parlor, Restaurant, Stores, Bar and Motel. So sad to see an iconic town fading away over the years. Paid a visit at Grand Canyon Caverns. So cool to know that they were prepared to save lives from War as they got survivor kit (bunch of barrels there). Also, They got one room motel in the cavern as well. Kinda cool to spend the romantic nighty in an eerie feeling.

Roads were OK here and there. Lots of history that can not be explained on here. Stopped at Cool Springs Gas Station just to browse. Walked around Oatman where there are sightings of burros. Some are friendly, Some aren't. See a lot of turd droppings everywhere in the town. A lot of cool biz names in Oatman cuz you definitely need to stop, enjoy the sightings and ask the locals to tell you stories on how Oatman established by miners many years ago.

Have a safe trip,

Thorey

Thanks Thorey. Sounds like some cool places to check out.

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I hate to be a naysayer(not really), but if this is your first time out west don't take Rt. 66. Ride across Kansas and eastern Colorado as fast as you can. Then either ride across southern or central Colorado, then southern Utah and then down to the Grand Canyon. West of Flagstaff, Rt. 66 may have some points of interest, but IMO there is nothing of interest between Tulsa Ok and Flagstaff Az. Your options in Colorado, Utah and Arizona are unlimited. Don't pass up these areas for a romantic ride that no longer exist.

Not my first trip out west, just the first I will get to make on my bike. I plan on heading north before the return leg and so will be coming back through some of the areas you mention. I have a friend living in Topanga CA to visit briefly and then on my way again and up the coast.

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Hey OP, I've got a long trip planned for next year too and a portion of that will be running the entire length of Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA. There's a lot on the web but I found this site to be helpful....it covers state-by-state and describes some of the highlights within each state. Enjoy your trip.

http://roadtripusa.com/routes/route66/route66.html

Great site Hausguy. Sounds like a great trip. I will probably hook into RT66 in MO. I have no desire to go up to Chicago.

Thanks again folks!

Tracy aka LiiT

Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Tracy, if you will click on this link to Travel Oklahoma you can order free brochures that will give you the Oklahoma Route 66 things to see. Above someone mentioned the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum. Nice stop and right next door on 63rd St is a GREAT Italian restaurant, Gabriella's.

http://www.travelok.com/
http://www.gabriellasokc.com/

edit: link to the Route66 portion of the site
http://www.travelok.com/route_66

Last edited by OKMICK; 12-18-2014 at 04:52 PM.