Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

1,528 Miles in 20hrs 57 mins

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:37 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

That's quite an accomplishment!

I would look at the RT vs the in-line 6s. Proven design. Much faster than many people think. I'm pretty sure BMW has gotten past the final drive issues they used to have. Even at that, I've had hex heads and zero problems in many, many miles. Sometimes you have to look past the internet complaints.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
I've researched the BMWs and they are having too many issues right now. I keep looking at them and then get scared away again. I want bullet-proof and the BMW bikes right now don't reach that level. They may truly be fine and the owners may just be really discerning knowledgeable riders and complain loudly if the bike isn't perfect. Every time I search I run through BMW's line too.

I like the Concours and it keeps coming to the top of my list But I wonder about leg comfort.
The FJR basically owns the Iron Butt Rally so it is battle tested and tied with the Concours in my book.
Basically I am looking for a tie breaker between the 2.
Tie breaker...how about cruise control? I don't believe the '14 Connies had it but not sure on '15's. Both great sport tourers though.

Also, great accomplishment on your BBG. It was fun reading your OP. Bike prep and rider focus have to be at an amazing level.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Mike Horrell,
That is good information, thank you.
The bike I get will be used for more than just single touring.
My wife rides with me and she isn't a big lady (135), but the load weights get up there with her and all the gear loaded to the back of the bike for a trip.

It looks like pillion and bag loads are causing it.

That would be a deal breaker.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-30-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:55 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Tie breaker...how about cruise control? I don't believe the '14 Connies had it but not sure on '15's. Both great sport tourers though.

Also, great accomplishment on your BBG. It was fun reading your OP. Bike prep and rider focus have to be at an amazing level.
I've been schizophrenic on cruise control. When I ride with my bagger buddies it is cool to follow them after they set the cruise. Following and pacing them is a no-brainer. I start to think, man I need cruise!!

Although, I've lived so long without it, I realized yesterday I rarely even used the throttle lock.

You are correct, the Concours does not have cruise and that is definitely on the minus side of the list.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:17 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Great RR, and congrats on the accomplishment.

I set out early last spring to do my BB Gold, it was only 5C at 5am when I left, I figured it would warm up from there. No chance, by the time I hit the mountains the temp had dropped to -5C. Way too f'n cold to sit on the bike for 24 hrs, after 2 hours I was done. Had to turn around. Failed attempt, I'll try again next year.

Did you look at the Honda ST1300, it's in the same class as the Concourse and FJR, depending on who you talk to, the ST is the better bike. I have friends that swear by all three.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

I have looked at the ST1300.

They seem to cost a bit more.
And, I don't like the saddle bags. Seems stupid, but the looks get to me.

If I found a screaming deal on one I wouldn't hesitate to buy it though.

Last night with about 400 miles to go. I was bone cold. You have nothing to do but think and I admit one of the thoughts I had was to chuck it and quit. Then I realized I was heading home anyway, I might as well keep moving.

Riding in really hot temps I can manage. But, once you get cold you can't escape it. You just stay cold.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:39 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I know what you mean about the cold. The one and only SS1000 that I did ended up like that as well. It was dark, cold, raining. My legs were so cold I don't think I could have moved my foot to hit the brake if I had to make an emergency stop. Dangerous riding like that, but we do it sometimes.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 700 Likes on 352 Posts

I guess I don't get the iron butt thing......... It must be like the folks who run marathons just because they can.

Now, throw in some bucks..... as in greenbacks, chedda, I'm in!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:26 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
The Albuquerque police use BMW 1200s (R-1200? Not sure of the exact model) and they love them
compared to the Harley's they'd ridden before. I test rode one at the BMW dealer before buying
my 2009 FXDC and it was an AWESOME bike.. but after a couple hour test it was obvious that
I'd never be able to stand the riding position for hours on end.. my hips started cramping within
an hour. So I got the FXDC because I could (and have!) ride it for 14 or 15 hours in a day for weeks
at a time with only minimal stops.

FWIW..
Glad to hear that, because although I'm lusting after a new Road King, my SS1000 will definitely be on my Super Glide.

Originally Posted by traildog
I guess I don't get the iron butt thing......... It must be like the folks who run marathons just because they can.

Now, throw in some bucks..... as in greenbacks, chedda, I'm in!
Classic response: When Sir Edmund Hillary was asked why he wanted to climb Mt. Everest: "Because it's there".

Old 11-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

I admitted in the original post I've never been able to adequately explain to someone why I do it.

Just to prove to myself I can, I guess.

As for chedda... It only costs, it doesn't pay.

The men and women that do it at the highest level, like the Iron Butt Rally I can't hold a candle to. The routing and planning they do is crazy.

A member here sent me the route sheet for the Hoka Hey and there is no way I could ever follow those directions once I was road weary and exhausted.

Give me time and I can plan and do plan almost every detail. But to do it tired, exhausted and on the fly... Damn

Still, I'd still like to try a rally someday, but finding time is almost impossible.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-30-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 1,528 Miles in 20hrs 57 mins