Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

1,528 Miles in 20hrs 57 mins

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 1,528 Miles in 20hrs 57 mins

Iron Butt Association Bun Burner Gold

I ran it yesterday from Pompano Beach FL to Pass Christian MS and back.
23 hours was my target, 22 hours was the best I was hoping for.
Less than 21 hours exceeded anything I planned

My bike is a 2005 Super Glide
88 Twin Cam
5 speed
Carbed
Stage 1 only.

For long runs I add mid pegs, windshield and pull the handlebars back as far as I can. I throw a sheep's wool pad on the seat. I also throw a tankbag on the bike. I keep everything I need in the tank bag. I have a t-bag on the back with spare fuel, tools etc.

The temps ranged from the 30s-50s. Running through the lowlands on the turnpike, around Alachua, Gainesville and I-10 got very cold with the damp at 80mph.

My overall average speed with stops included was 72.8 mph.
I tried to hold my moving speed to 80mph. When it varied, I would say I ranged primarily between 75 mph and 85 mph. Huge amount of Highway Patrol out running speed traps for the T-giving weekend travel!!

My goal was to keep my stops to less than 10 minutes. I believe they were closer to 7 minutes

I only got off the bike twice. Once at the first fuel stop to get a neck gator from my bag and put it on. Once at the 1/2 way turn-around to eat a granola bar, drink a water and hit the head. On the return trip I never got off the bike. I fueled standing straddling the bike and filled out my log on the tank bag.

I plan every fuel stop in advance.

I haven't calculated my fuel average but it was way down pushing the windshield at the speeds I was running. My guess is 36 mpg. Wind was gusting all day, at times very very strong. Went through MS leaning to the left westbound and right, eastbound.

I switched to fuel reserve 3 times on the trip. 2 of those times I was far enough from a fuel stop I reduced my speed to ensure I would make it. Fuel on the turnpike is approx. 40 miles apart, and the panhandle of Florida west of Tallahassee has a few areas like that also. On previous runs I planned 140 miles between fuel stops and never had an issue. This run I used 150 miles between stops with my furthest leg at 162 miles. The longer legs were a bit close on fuel.

Observations:
I won't ask my bike to do that again. That is a long time to wring out a 9 year old 88 ci twin cam. It performed flawlessly. I won't sell the Dyna but the next bike will be a sport tourer designed for high speed long distance touring.

I hate cold weather riding. With everything going on during a run, I hated being cold too. That is the second run I did in the cold. I'll avoid them in the future.

It is very cool when you hit the zone. Somewhere after a few/several hundred miles you realize you are comfortable, and riding/driving the bike becomes subconscious. You don't think about throttle and guiding the bike anymore, it is just happening. You don't even realize your hand is on the throttle anymore. I could go on, but it would sound weird. Those who have ridden for long periods at one run will understand.

Motrin is your friend. Joint aches especially in the legs are inevitable.

Edited post to add:
I can't look at the ride as a whole as I ride it. It is too big and too daunting. I ran 2 odometers. One to keep track of miles on the tank of fuel and a second for the trip as a whole. A few times, no more than 3, I looked at the trip odometer while I was riding to calculate how far I had to go and how long it would take and each time I felt a bit overwhelmed. I said this on other posts too. I just look at it as tank to tank. I don't have 1500 miles, I have 10 stops. I don't have 450 miles to go or 6 hours, I just have 80 miles left on this tank or an hour. This perspective is key with me. Others may different.

What's next?
A new bike then the CCC100.
Jacksonville FL to San Diego CA and back to Jacksonville in less than 100 hours. I've already started planning it.

Any questions, ask away. I can answer any of them except why I do this.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-01-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:20 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Sweet! I've got my first SS1000 planned for this coming summer.

Two questions:

How important and/or difficult is it to get signatures from somebody at the start and finish? Some guy at a gas station? Your wife before you leave the house? What sig will be acceptable vs rejected?

Once you send in your log, gas receipts, etc., how long before you get your certification back?

Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 AM
131IRONMIKE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For your Next bike you'll have to get a GT1600 Beemer,cut some time off the Clock,that bike run all day and Nite for your next run,I used to run 1000 mile days many times in the big truck coming off the East Coast,Can't do that Chit anymore,Hats off to you, I'll poke along and catch the view,

Back than we did it for money......

Old 11-30-2014, 10:27 AM
John5395
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the Iron Butt SS1000 a couple yrs ago, and can't wait to pull off a trip like you just did. Congrats, that's one hell of a ride. When I did the SS, all of my friends said, why, or you're crazy. I totally get the part that you can't explain why. Can't wait to do it again, just have to wait til I get something more comfortable than my old Evo.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Sweet! I've got my first SS1000 planned for this coming summer.

Two questions:

How important and/or difficult is it to get signatures from somebody at the start and finish? Some guy at a gas station? Your wife before you leave the house? What sig will be acceptable vs rejected?

Once you send in your log, gas receipts, etc., how long before you get your certification back?
On the SS1000, they will accept any signature. If it is a round-trip, your wife can sign both ends. For one-way trips you will need to ask someone to sign. I've had police sign, gas station clerks sign, motel desk person sign etc. Basically be polite, tell them what you have done and ask nicely. I only ever had one guy turn me down (in Sturgis of all places) and then after 2 gas station cashiers signed, he suddenly wanted to.

How long it takes on the paperwork depends on the time of the year. During the summer months starting with Daytona Bike Week I'm sure they are slammed with paperwork. This time of year not so much. 2-3 months though.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 131IRONMIKE
For your Next bike you'll have to get a GT1600 Beemer,cut some time off the Clock,that bike run all day and Nite for your next run,I used to run 1000 mile days many times in the big truck coming off the East Coast,Can't do that Chit anymore,Hats off to you, I'll poke along and catch the view,

Back than we did it for money......
I've researched the BMWs and they are having too many issues right now. I keep looking at them and then get scared away again. I want bullet-proof and the BMW bikes right now don't reach that level. They may truly be fine and the owners may just be really discerning knowledgeable riders and complain loudly if the bike isn't perfect. Every time I search I run through BMW's line too.

I like the Concours and it keeps coming to the top of my list But I wonder about leg comfort.
The FJR basically owns the Iron Butt Rally so it is battle tested and tied with the Concours in my book.
Basically I am looking for a tie breaker between the 2.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
On the SS1000, they will accept any signature. If it is a round-trip, your wife can sign both ends. For one-way trips you will need to ask someone to sign. I've had police sign, gas station clerks sign, motel desk person sign etc. Basically be polite, tell them what you have done and ask nicely. I only ever had one guy turn me down and then after 2 gas station cashiers sign, he suddenly wanted to.

How long it takes on the paperwork depends on the time of the year. During the summer months starting with Daytona Bike Week I'm sure they are slammed with paperwork. This time of year not so much. 2-3 months though.
Thanks!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I personally wouldnt have picked a turkey day weekend because of the extra traffic and the weather but very impressive nevertheless

Old 11-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ynots
I personally wouldnt have picked a turkey day weekend because of the extra traffic and the weather but very impressive nevertheless
I agree.
I had attempted it before and lost my billfold on the first stop. End of trip...
Got ready to make a second attempt, bike loaded and ready to go. My father-in-law passed away.

My work takes up a huge amount of time and this was next open day to make it happen, so off I went.

Traffic west bound was the worst.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great ride!

I have two friends here in Albuquerque who I would classify as extreme long-distance riders, both
formally (Bun-Burner-Gold) and on their own hook. Both have had FJRs and both have had problems
with structural cracking in the "stinger" section behind the rider and above the rear wheel. My
impression is that even fairly light loads can cause cracking under repeated shocks from bumpy
roads. Both had extra gusseting and sleeves welded around the weak areas to counter the problems
on their bikes.

The Albuquerque police use BMW 1200s (R-1200? Not sure of the exact model) and they love them
compared to the Harley's they'd ridden before. I test rode one at the BMW dealer before buying
my 2009 FXDC and it was an AWESOME bike.. but after a couple hour test it was obvious that
I'd never be able to stand the riding position for hours on end.. my hips started cramping within
an hour. So I got the FXDC because I could (and have!) ride it for 14 or 15 hours in a day for weeks
at a time with only minimal stops.

FWIW..

Quick Reply: 1,528 Miles in 20hrs 57 mins