Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast to East Cost route options

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:17 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default West Coast to East Cost route options

Bucket list trip, shipping my bike to San Diego & riding east to New Brunswick Canada( north of Maine) in May-June, planning 3 weeks plus, looking for route suggestions,cool places, tips for long travel, thinking of doing a southern route. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:04 AM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds awesome. Been planning a trip the opposite way for sometime . Here is a thread I found helpful.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...s-to-ride.html

Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 PM
robw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider following Route 66. Google has some good sites about the old route.
I'd definitely stay south that time of year. the northern route is more scenic but the weather is too unpredictable. I hit snow in Montana last June.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not quite the south but I've done pretty much all of Rt. 50. Beautiful in the west and pretty nice in the east. Avoid Cincinnati, St. Louis and Kansas City, use bypass.

It's a classic run.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:32 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonizer
Bucket list trip, shipping my bike to San Diego & riding east to New Brunswick Canada( north of Maine) in May-June, planning 3 weeks plus, looking for route suggestions,cool places, tips for long travel, thinking of doing a southern route. Thanks in advance.
Many routes from Southern California, quickest would be I8, to I10, to I12, to I59 to I24, to
I75, to I40, to I81 to I84 to I90, to I495 to I95. This will be the least traffic and take around 5-6 days from your A to B. A good ride is up from San Diego to Gallup, NM north to Moab, Cortez, 4 corners area, work you way east into Colorado, I believe it is US 36 east into Illinois and east from there to I71 in Ohio to I90 and run the Turnpike to Buffalo and up thru Watertown NY, Vermont etc.

Last edited by checkers; 12-05-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Telluride Grand Tetons, Yellowstone. Smokey Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Washington DC, Lake Placid, to name a few. Kinda south???

Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 PM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been fooling around with this site. With a little patience it can be helpful.
https://www.freetrip.com/

Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Not quite the south but I've done pretty much all of Rt. 50. Beautiful in the west and pretty nice in the east. Avoid Cincinnati, St. Louis and Kansas City, use bypass.

It's a classic run.
I plan on doing coast-to-coast ride while incorporating Rt 50 this summer. I do plan on avoiding the major cities as you mention and any veering off Rt 50 will be via secondary highways. It's truly the best way to travel and enables actually going through towns and meeting the locals.
Like the OP, I plan on doing a coast-to-coast ride from San Diego back to MA in 2016. I want to do a deep south route for that trip. I'm wondering how far south the OP wants to go before heading north to New Brunswick?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonizer
LOL this is a bit random but here are some suggestions.
Do ride through southern Utah if possible. Include Zion and Bryce N.P.s, from Bryce Rt 12 through Boulder, Torrey, to Hanksville. Then southeast to Blanding. From there east over to Durango Colorado. Colorado's higher elevation should be ok by June. Or from Blanding go a bit south and across New Mexico.

Coming across somewhat south into the southeast, depending on your route, you might incorporate some of these.

Texas Hill Country just west of San Antonio and over to Austin is nice. Northwest Arkansas is hilly and fun.

The Barber Motorsports Museum, Birmingham Alabama is worth a visit. It's the largest motorcycle museum in the world and also has the largest collection of Lotus cars.
Head NNE from Barber to Great Smokey National Park and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway which runs almost 500 miles north east. 500 miles of curving 2-lane road with no commercial traffic or stop signs.

If you're coming through Texas into Louisiana (south of Arkansas) you could go to Natchez Mississippi and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway and take it to it's end near Nashville TN. Then east over to again the southern beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

From the north end of the BRP continue NE staying west of I-81 roughly along the VA/WV border up into PA. Maybe a tour of Harley's factory in York, PA?

From there I would continue up through PA and NY not going too far east to avoid the continuous coastal congestion from DC, Philadelphia, New York City, past Boston.

Last edited by Ridewva; 12-11-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I'm wondering how far south the OP wants to go before heading north to New Brunswick?
Thinking of heading North at New Orleans thru Birmingham to Nashville. Lots of great info here please keep it coming. Thanks.

Quick Reply: West Coast to East Cost route options