Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Garmin that locks into place!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I left my Zumo 665 on my bike for a 10 day trip to Colorado. I do put a cover on the bike overnight, but I never remove the GPS unit. My normal stops are for fuel and to eat lunch. I just leave it there. I also left it on the bike in Telluride when I was away from it for 5-6 hours.

It would **** me off if I returned and it was gone. $800 down the drain. I guess I'm just too trusting.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Howler_LI
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I purchased a small sheet of stainless steel and a very small key lock. I used some poster board to mock up the locking plates. When locked, the Garmin pushbutton can't move so the GPS stays locked in place. The top plate swivels up to load/unload and down to lock.

It's not meant to be theft proof, i.e. don't leave it overnight, but you can stop for gas, even dinner in the right place without fear. I found that my helmet sits over the GPS, out of sight is out of mind.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:59 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,318 Likes on 10,699 Posts

BigDogIdaho: Yes. I leave my helmet on my bike. come to think of it, I put it ON my GPS so it is COVERED! But not locked. (I want to lock it.)

My jackets are stowed other than the 1 I may be wearing. Only my left saddlebag I keep locked at ALL times.

Everyone Else: THANK YOU for your very valued input and pictures that are really worth 1,000 words. I greatly appreciate the time and effort for taking the pictures and uploading them with an explanation.

What I will do is this:

1) Since I am very bad at engineering my own locking mechanism, I am going to take your PIXs and bring it to my local HD where they know me well and will not poo-poo me so fast. And See if they can rig something like you guys did that will make it all work.

2) Keep watching here for further ideas others may come up with while I figure exactly which route to ultimately take.

3) I am going to look for a device (like mentioned in an earlier post) where I can take the GPS and mounted within the grips of something like the "KradleLock" and not reinvent the wheel. <-- But will if need be.

Again THANK YOU and I am still checking in........

BuzzCap7

Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Why not just buy a Kradlelock? One of my buddies said to me when he was looking to lock his now stolen 665 "$70 for a lock, that's way too much". I responded "$34k CVO with $10k add ons and a $750 GPS, what's another $75"
His GPS went missing 4 days later.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Those metal locks are great. I never knew there was such a thing. I removed the GPS every time we stopped for more than gas. Glad that my new bike has it built in.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by BigWaterJim
Why not just buy a Kradlelock? One of my buddies said to me when he was looking to lock his now stolen 665 "$70 for a lock, that's way too much". I responded "$34k CVO with $10k add ons and a $750 GPS, what's another $75"
His GPS went missing 4 days later.
OUCH! That must have hurt. Real bummer.

I never heard of the KradleLock until you mentioned it in another post. I wrote it down along with the company "Iron Basis Mount".

Hopefully later today and no later than tomorrow I will be checking into it.

I greatly appreciate your mentioning that product. Heck, I never even heard of the company Iron Aces Mount let alone the KradleLock. It sounds like the easiest way to go.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Quick search on google brought up a few ideas.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...FSxk7AodACcAUA

Attached Thumbnails Garmin that locks into place!-dwmjpt-1.jpg  
Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM
BuzzCap7

BigWaterJim,

I got too excited about the Kradlelock so instead of going back to work I checked out the product immediately. It does not appear they support the Garmin GPS 590LM <-- which is the one I am planning on getting.

So I dropped them a note to see if the 590LM will work on any of their present Kradlelocks.

It looks like it would work PERFECTLY for me!!!!

I also checked out the Iron Aces Mount (the universal one and others) but they are not for MY model bike. :-( <-- I spoke to them as well and their mount will block the usage of my windshield pouches which I use a great deal. Oh well.

Thank you again for putting me onto the Kradlelock.

Happy Dance Happy Dance

BuzzCap7

Old 12-10-2014, 02:48 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
AND

Grandslam & 1plumr1, neither of you are concerned about when you ride across country that someone will just pop it right off your bike? (Maybe I am being paranoid. ??)

I am horrible at directions and rely 100% on my GPS. Is it unfounded for me to be concerned about someone stealing it during the day?

My comfort level would be 1,000% higher if I was able to lock it on.

BuzzCap7
I have a Zumo 500. When I'm touring cross country I mount it in the holder in the morning and leave it there, even when stopping until I'm at my hotel for the night. I may set my helmet over it to obscure it from view when stopped for a break or gas or a meal, but I'm not overly worried about someone stealing it.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:38 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by slhanks4
I have a Zumo 500. When I'm touring cross country I mount it in the holder in the morning and leave it there, even when stopping until I'm at my hotel for the night. I may set my helmet over it to obscure it from view when stopped for a break or gas or a meal, but I'm not overly worried about someone stealing it.
That is exactly what I do.

My Zumo 550 has a specialty screw like lock so it is very unlikely anyone will try to take it off.

Most Garmin GPSs, have a quick release button which makes it VERY easy to steal. Does your 500 have the screw type lock or no lock, and just a quickie button release??

BuzzCap7

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garmin that locks into place!