Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Garmin that locks into place!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way. I realize it didn't answer your question, was just trying to suggest you may not have to worry about it.
I think if you show someone who is handy with fabrication work those photos, they can make you something. Possibly for less money then some of those other mounts.
If you can't find something, or in the meantime, you could always throw it in a lockable saddlebag. You said you always keep 1 locked so maybe throw it in there when you stop and then lock it?
Let us know what you end up with either way. I have an older GPS with lifetime updates so I may try and fab something using these other ideas.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Sorry if my comment was taken the wrong way. I realize it didn't answer your question, was just trying to suggest you may not have to worry about it.
I think if you show someone who is handy with fabrication work those photos, they can make you something. Possibly for less money then some of those other mounts.
If you can't find something, or in the meantime, you could always throw it in a lockable saddlebag. You said you always keep 1 locked so maybe throw it in there when you stop and then lock it?
Let us know what you end up with either way. I have an older GPS with lifetime updates so I may try and fab something using these other ideas.
Thank you my friend. I greatly appreciate your comment and the sticking to the original question asked. Hat's off to you!!!

BigDogIdaho suggested the Kradellock and it was a FANTASTIC suggestion. I looked into it and bought it!!

The Kradellcok is EXACLTY what I need. AND once installed, I can leave the GPS on the handlebars 100% of the time!!! Whoooo Hoooo. Happy Dance

As a last resort, fabrication would have been the forced route to go. Paying extra for the pre-fab is well worth it in my eyes for a variety of reasons.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

When I'm gone from the bike for short periods of time like at fueling stations or grabbing a bite to eat, like others suggested I place my helmet on top of the GPS. I also leave an empty gun holster laying in the seat in plain sight. I've never had any problem.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Faulkner
When I'm gone from the bike for short periods of time like at fueling stations or grabbing a bite to eat, like others suggested I place my helmet on top of the GPS. I also leave an empty gun holster laying in the seat in plain sight. I've never had any problem.
When I read u left an empty gun holster sitting on ur saddle, a HUGE smile came up on my face.GREAT idea. Do u really do that tho??

I ask bcs other than my FOB auto-lock, my bike does not lock. And ur suggestion just might be a GOOD idea.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Someone will make off with that holster for sure.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:18 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by BigWaterJim
Someone will make off with that holster for sure.
Not when u put C4 underneath it.

Hey, I just say'n.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-20-2014, 04:34 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
When I read u left an empty gun holster sitting on ur saddle, a HUGE smile came up on my face.GREAT idea. Do u really do that tho??

I ask bcs other than my FOB auto-lock, my bike does not lock. And ur suggestion just might be a GOOD idea.

BuzzCap7
I don't do it often, but I have indeed left a gun holster in the seat several times so that it would be obviously seen by anyone venturing close enough. Once while passing through central Mississippi I stopped for some much needed fuel and pee break at a place that I don't think I would have normally stopped at. When I left the pumps to go in and take care of business I left my empty holster laying on the seat. When I came back out there were three gentlemen standing around my bike, presumably admiring it. As I got ready to mount the bike one of the gentlemen commented to me politely, "hey whiteboy, you got a pretty good sense of humor." I gave him a thumbs up and it was all good.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Faulkner
I don't do it often, but I have indeed left a gun holster in the seat several times so that it would be obviously seen by anyone venturing close enough. Once while passing through central Mississippi I stopped for some much needed fuel and pee break at a place that I don't think I would have normally stopped at. When I left the pumps to go in and take care of business I left my empty holster laying on the seat. When I came back out there were three gentlemen standing around my bike, presumably admiring it. As I got ready to mount the bike one of the gentlemen commented to me politely, "hey whiteboy, you got a pretty good sense of humor." I gave him a thumbs up and it was all good.
LOL!!!! THAT is funny!!!

U reminded me of being in Columbia SC, where I pulled in with a retired police officer.

Now get this, there was out front of this hotel (a name brand hotel) a hooker giving a guy a BJ, another person drove by ME and asked to borrow my cell (yeah sure thing), and what looked like a possible drug deal (too hard to tell but looked something like it).

We park under the portico like always and when in our room, he looked around for 1 of his guns. HE LEFT IT ON HIS SADDLE!!! LOL!!!!!!

Luckily, in this scumbag location with low lifes all over, the gun was still where he left it on the saddle. LOL! We laugh about it to this day. Although it really is not a laughing matter. And that was so NOT like him.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-21-2014, 07:18 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I make short stops, bathroom or water breaks at a gas station I cover the GPS and mount with my helmet. If I go in for a meal I slip it into my pocket. If someone knows it's there and wants it they'll take it but most people seem to leave bikes alone in public areas I've found.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by bmorebhoy
When I make short stops, bathroom or water breaks at a gas station I cover the GPS and mount with my helmet. If I go in for a meal I slip it into my pocket. If someone knows it's there and wants it they'll take it but most people seem to leave bikes alone in public areas I've found.
Excellent point and that is exactly what I do as well.

The only difference is, I take long trips where if it was stolen I am in deep doo doo since I am totally, totally lost once I am 3 feet from my house. Heck, sometimes I get lost in my own house I am that bad with directions.

If I am going around the USA/Canadain my GPS is stolen anytime after I leave my hometown I am honestly in deep doo doo. So the idea of locking it on the bike like with the really good kradellock gives me a HUGE sense of security. THAT feeling of security is worth a great deal to me.

To go back to my bike and see my helmet taken off of the GPS and put onto the saddle or if I removed the helmet and there is no GPS sitting in the cradle then anxiety is going to enter into the picture in that will not be fun.

I can erase that entire possibility and make the trip way more relaxing and enjoyable with a simple lock.

On the other hand, by Garmin did not make them all lockable (and I reviewed this with them twice) is well beyond me.

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: Garmin that locks into place!