Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Garmin that locks into place!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:41 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts
Default Garmin that locks into place!

Question: HOW do you LOCK a Garmin GPS onto your bike?

Note: There are NO Garmin GPS's that LOCK onto your bike now that is presently supported. I know the Zumo 550 does lock on but it is NOT supported anymore.

ALL of the NEW Garmin GPSs do not lock on. So I was looking to see if anyone has come up with a way to LOCK the NEW Garmins onto the handlebar so u do not have to take it off each time u get off the F'ing bike. (Sry, I am frustrated.)

I am aware the new touring HD bikes have their own GPS built in. But I still want the NEW Garmin's.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

How do you lock the new Garmin's onto your handlebar?

BuzzCap7

Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 660 on a inner fairing mount. If I'm going to be away from the bike for a period of time, I just pop it off and put it in the tour pack. Only takes a second.

I prefer it over the built in ones in the new bikes. More options with it, and I can take it into the motel at night a program for the next day.

Bill

Old 12-07-2014, 10:16 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by billnourse
I have a 660 on a inner fairing mount. If I'm going to be away from the bike for a period of time, I just pop it off and put it in the tour pack. Only takes a second.

I prefer it over the built in ones in the new bikes. More options with it, and I can take it into the motel at night a program for the next day.

Bill
billnourse, I understand 100% and that will not work for me.

1) I ride every day when I am home. I make an average of 6 stops a day. So to take it off 6 times and stick it in my pocket or wherever is unbelievably annoying.

2) When I am traveling(which I do a lot) I average approximately 525 or 550 miles a day refueling every hour and a half or 2 hours approximately. Which means again I am constantly popping it off and sticking it in my pocket with the trunk. Annoying and totally not acceptable.

Thank you for your input my friend but if you have a more permanent solution like the way Garmin used to do it locking them onto your bike, that would interest me greatly.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

When I use my GPS, I take it off the bike when parked overnight at a motel, but definitely not every time I stop.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:53 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

I also only remove mine at the end of the day, not for fuel, food, etc. The 550 I had ,coked to the mount held by a ram mount, the ram mount wasn't locked to anything.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
I also only remove mine at the end of the day, not for fuel, food, etc. The 550 I had ,coked to the mount held by a ram mount, the ram mount wasn't locked to anything.
AND

Originally Posted by Grandslam
When I use my GPS, I take it off the bike when parked overnight at a motel, but definitely not every time I stop.
Grandslam & 1plumr1, neither of you are concerned about when you ride across country that someone will just pop it right off your bike? (Maybe I am being paranoid. ??)

I am horrible at directions and rely 100% on my GPS. Is it unfounded for me to be concerned about someone stealing it during the day?

My comfort level would be 1,000% higher if I was able to lock it on.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

When I am traveling I definitely don't take mine off at every stop.

If you are handy, or know someone that is, you might be able to fabricate a little block that would prevent the release button from being pushed, and that would lock in place with a small padlock.

Bill

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

I use a Kradlelock. Being that anyone can bust anything off a bike with a pry bar I remove when going to be away from the bike for awhile. I live in a real safe nice area so I leave it on there. When going into a store or lunch I leave GPS mounted. Here is what I have on my RoadGlide. Iron Aces mount, the Kradlelock mounted on that, the the Zumo mount to it. Here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Garmin that locks into place!-image.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Wrong pic, that pic shows what I have except that one has a pic of phone mount attached to Garmin cover that goes onto the cradle when GPS not in use. Notice the lock holding the mount from opening(popping up)

Old 12-08-2014, 08:33 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Do you leave anything else out on the bike when you are inside (jacket, helmet, etc.)? I can't believe there is nothing around to do this though...

Quick Reply: Garmin that locks into place!