Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wife finally got on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wife finally got on.

Didn't think she'd do it. But she finally decided to get on the back of my road king. Maybe it was the Pacific Coast Highway or was it my rugged handsomeness, but either way, she did 140 miles her first day. Pismo, CA to Ragged Point, CA

Pictures to follow. Ipad can't load them for some reason.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:33 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations! That's monumental. Getting buy in from your wife is a good thing. My wife said she wouldn't get on anything with 2 wheels so I bought a Trike. She was true to her word and I'm loving the Trike. Win win situation for us.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Good deal brother! It is a good feeling indeed to have your wife with ya.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

It took some time for my wife to start riding with me and now she greets me at the door in her leathers and we spend some great time together. Every now and then we even ride the bike.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Family genetics make a real smile difficult for me. I look lopsided. However, I found that if I over smile with my glasses on, I can get a bit of a Jack Nicholas look going on.

Don't worry...we're stopped!

Ragged Point, CA about 70 miles north of Pismo Beach.

Sea Lion breeding season in full swing... this time of year on the CA coast. These things swim 9 months out of the year and put in over 25,000 miles in the water between San Simeon, CA and the Aleutian Islands, Alaska. Then they beach themselves to Fight and breed. Sounds like a typical Harley ride to me.

Hearst Castle State Park has Zebra's? Who'd a thunk? Well, I can scratch the trip to Africa off my to do list.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:44 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Congrats on finally getting your wife on the bike.

Through the years I've managed to convince many friends and relatives to go for a ride on my bike(s), including my late father, mother and sister.

Long before we were married, my now-wife rode many miles on my new '75 FLT Electra-Glide and '76 FXE Super-Glide.

In early '89, on a sunny, but frigid winter day, I convinced my wife to go on a short ride on an '87 FXST Softail Custom which I had purchased used a few months prior.
I had no idea that the previous owner had "plugged" the rear tubeless tire and before we had traveled a very short distance (less than 200') the plug popped out and although I managed to get the bike slowed down, I was unable to keep it upright and to the pavement we went!

The good news was that we only had a couple of bruises, no cuts, and no broken bones. If we had managed to make it out of our sub-division and onto the main street, I think it would have more than likely been much more serious due to speed and heavier traffic.

For a few months after that mishap, I could tell my wife was hesitant to go for a ride and when she did, I could tell that she was very tense.
Later that summer, we went on a long trip and before long, she was back to her old self and totally relaxed on the back seat.
Several years later, she got her motorcycle endorsement and currently rides her own Heritage (her THIRD Harley)!

My advice to all riders when taking a "newbie" for a ride is to ride slow and safely, in a low traffic, scenic area if at all possible, and they'll probably want to go again and again.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:16 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice day on the coast. Ibfuelish you are right about the Jack Nicholson look.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:52 PM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice shots! My wife has watched my kids and I ride and race dirt bikes for almost 30 years but never had the hankerin' to ride. We got a road king 6 years ago and 35000 touring miles later( and 2 different road kings), she loves it. We have seen many parts of the country, experienced Sturgis, met tons of new people and have hundreds of photos including a sunset at the Grand Canyon that she took and we have made into a canvas hanging on the wall. We look forward to planning 3 or 4 yearly tours plus just getting out on the weekends. Keep it going and lets see more pictures

Old 12-10-2014, 08:15 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best part is the hotel action after riding.