Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Across Canada on a Nightster

Old 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM
*Chief
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Across Canada on a Nightster

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip on my Nightster at some point this summer across Canada from Vancouver to QC.

It will be my first motorcycle trip and planning on doing it by myself so far..

I'm wondering if the I-2 from Seattle to Sault Ste Marie is an awesome road and another thing that bother me a lot is gas station. As Sportsters have a small gas tank, I'm worried there won't be a gas station every 200km along the road. Anyone could confirm if I'll be fine or should bring a small jerry can ?

Also, looking for a rough idea for check-list of what to bring and what to leave behind for this trip !

Thanks for your time and answers !

Old 12-16-2014, 10:33 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 305 Likes on 193 Posts

Well - It'll be tough on a sporty. But you're tougher than I I have a Street Glide...

There are a few good routes I'd think - But it depends if you're comfortable 70+ MPH on an interstate, if you're planning on smelling the roses [or beers] or if the nostalgic idea of riding our country's main road.

I've done quite a bit of riding south of the border, but I want to ride across this beautiful country of ours. So my pick is the TCH. It's more expensive for fuel. It's more expensive for hotels. But...

Bring a good couple of CCs.

Good boots. Good rain gear. Heated vest? [Black Jack is from Vancouver Island.] Small tool kit? [The Cruz Tool kit I have can do -most- jobs on the motor cycle with that kit. Add a good adjustible wrench, some wire, and my favorite ty-wraps...]

If your cel phone is a smart phone, it'll help with looking for hotels, gas, distances etc.

Know your fuel range and really respect it...

Have the Road America [HOG freebie] or equivelant roadside. For gas etc.

Plan your ride based on fillups, points of interest, and pass it along to someone to know to start looking for you... [Check google maps and HD Ride planner.]

It sounds like a blast. Feel free to PM me.

Have a good Christmas!

H

Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

All good advice.
If you are a planner, you can plan out all fuel stops and distance between using MapQuest.
You could also carry 4 MSR style bottles with extra fuel in them. (I do)

Add a tire plug kit and a compressor if you have alloy wheels, or at least a large can of fix a flat if you don't have a compressor or have spoked. (if you don't have a power port on the bike forget the compressor and go with the large can of fix a flat)

Lay all the crap you think you need for the trip on the floor a month in advance. Then, over that month, start removing stuff you really won't don't need before packing for the trip. Your crap will be cut in half at least.

Get a tank bag. It is the best and most convenient storage you will have on a bike that isn't a bagger. Everything you need for a day's riding, put in the tank bag. (water, Excedrin, motrin, sunblock, extra sunglasses, clear glasses, granola bars, camera, flashlight, bike registration and insurance papers etc.)

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-17-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:30 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

There's precious few gas stations between Winterpeg and Thunder Bay. At least that was the case when I rode thru there in 2001. Other than that I had no problems with fuel.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Not familiar with the route but with just a 3.3 gallon tank I think carrying some extra gas might be a good idea.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:51 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you plan to explore Northern Ontario avoid Rt. 101 between Chapleau and Timmins. That section is really beat and your suspension will hate you.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I rode from Fernie to Ottawa last summer. I chose to go US2 to Sault St. Marie because it is/was way cheaper for fuel and motels and the beer is almost free compared to Canadian prices. The prairies are pretty tedious across Alberta, Sask. and Manitoba, somewhat more interesting across Montana and N. Dakota. The ride south of Lake Superior was great. Do both, one way in Canada and the other way in The US. Which ever way you go, it will be a great ride. Enjoy.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:06 PM
DTPB
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Would definately take some extra gas, just to make sure you never have to worry. Sounds like it will be an excellent ride though. HAve fun!

Old 12-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Jetlag
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppawhiskey
Do both, one way in Canada and the other way in The US. Which ever way you go, it will be a great ride. Enjoy.
I would mix it up a bit. We like to go thru the Rockies and head south in Aberta. My nephew came on the last ride (6000km) and he only had 150km-175km range so the plastic tubing for siphon gas from the larger bikes came in handy.

Attached Thumbnails Across Canada on a Nightster-iron.jpg