Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM
YoungLife
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip to Florida

My wife and I are taking a trip to Florida the day after Christmas on our Street Glide. We will be doing approx 1300 miles, starting from the upstate of SC, going down to Tampa, over to Orlando, up to Jacksonville and then back home near Charlotte, NC. Are there any suggestions for things we must see around Tampa/Jacksonville area? Any nice bike rides around those ares/further south that would be nice on the bike? Tips for the long trip down and back?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:19 AM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

Don't know anything about the area, just check those tires and air in the shocks. Fuel stop to fuel stop and look around every once in a while!!!!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:04 AM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Go over toward Daytona and take the "Ormond Loop" short but a nice ride then take A1A all the way up to Jacksonville, stop along the way and enjoy the ride.

http://www.daytonabeach.com/things-t...oop%20+daytona

Old 12-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There is some real nice riding around the Gainesville area, north of Ocala, south of Lake city, stay on the secondary roads, 27, 441, 41, the old us highways were made before the interstates so some pretty roads, old farm land, east and west of there is flat scrub forest so not so pretty.
Stay out of any big city, unless you are used to heavy traffic.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Quick question:

Why did you choose that loop? Is it flexible?
Your response will determine what I would advise you to do.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM
YoungLife
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We actually have family in Tampa that we'll see, then over to Jacksonville to see some friends and Orlando is just between the two so the wife wants to stop there for a night or two.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:16 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Other than Miami...Or SE Florida in general, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather ride less than Tampa. Orlando, and Jacksonville.

In the panhandle, from Pensacola going east, you can ride some great roads like 90 (Parallels I-10 with one small town after another), or ride the coast along 98 (Great small towns almost all the way down to Tampa). Pick up 441, 41, 27, 301, or 19 into North Central Florida. Take 40 west to Dunnellon or east through the forest to Ormond/Daytona. Ride A1A from Port Orange to St. Augustine. Ride 100 from Lake City to Flagler Beach...But avoid Tampa/Orlando/Jacksonville unless you like riding in traffic.

Sorry but Orlando is probably the worst. I'd try to convince your wife otherwise if you can. You can take 301 from Tampa to Jacksonville and see some nice old Florida towns along the way.

Last edited by rdam; 12-17-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:29 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you want the stops in those areas you hitting

Tampa - Bush Gardens
Orlando - Universal and Disney
Jacksonville - just get back across the boarder to GA and hit Savanah

there really aren't any must to, stops in those areas as they are big cities with tons of people that don't know where they are going because its a tourist area

now I do agree with some others, take back roads and enjoy the drive

I would make a stop in Cedar Key if you have the chance, that's north side up from Tampa, hit Ocala which is another good ride through Florida's horse country, stay OUT of Orlando for as long as you can, its crazy around that week with everyone down from up north hitting the parks, if you head out from Orlando east find a good back road path (not 17/92) think smaller and get over to Daytona and then like they said, take the Ormond Loop from there up to St Augustine

spend a day or half of one in St Aug, then on to Jacksonville, but leave Jville and head up to Savanah, it's just nicer

Old 12-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

OK, given your "restrictions", here are some suggestions:

St. Augustine just south of Jacksonville, then ride on down to Daytona.
Hit Boot Hill and Iron Horse at Daytona at least.
Towards Orlando, hit the area around Mount Dora for some great riding.
West of Orlando and north of Tampa, hit the horse country and Ocala National Forest around Ocala.

Straight east of Orlando on the Bee Line you can get to the Atlantic coast and the Cape Canaveral.

Those will get you started.

Be careful on the highways in Orlando, Tampa and all points between. The tourists will kill you. (literally and figuratively)

Old 12-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Pretty good advice so far. For nice riding, I'd suggest going north out of Tampa & head toward Crystal River, Cedar Key, east toward Ocala & horse country, then up toward the Gainesville area & on into Jacksonville. If you're more into sights or attractions, then you'll have to head east out of Tampa & hit Orlando (ugh!), Cape Kennedy, New Smyrna Beach, Daytona & up along 1 & A1A. Flagler Beach, just north of Ormond, is cool if you if you want to feel like you're back in the 50s or 60s. St Augustine is very pretty & has become a bedroom community of Jax. IMO, the better riding is in the north central part of the state, but the attractions are in Orlando (ugh again!) & along the east coast. Guess you could take one way down & the other way back?

Quick Reply: Trip to Florida