Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

roadside accommodations

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 PM
oc1014
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Raven said map your route first and choose your target to stop at. I did the KOA in Forsyth Ga. This summer traveling from Toledo Oh. To Naples Fl.. This was my comfortable stopping point. Especially after riding through Atlanta rush hour in a genuine down pour. I reserved one of there cabins which had A/C. Let me tell ya August in Georgia sucks the big one, hot and humid. The cabin was OK, the showers were just OK. But at $35 a night was worth it to me to be dry. My trip dates didn't allow waiting for great weather to tent it. I do know the closer you get to Fl. The higher the KOA prices. If I'm fairly sure of good weather I will stealth camp, but there are some risks involved with this.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

If you just looking for a park and sleep, National forest lands often allow free camping as well. May have to run some unpaved road to get out there. I didn't look for any along your direction

Old 12-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

You spent 20k on a motorcycle and you want to sleep in a cemetery or in a tent on the side of the road? I would rather stay home. Motel rooms are between $45 and $80. You get a bed, hot shower and in some cases a continental breakfast and you feel like a human the next day.
Try this website for reasonable lodging. lodging.http://www.momandpopmotels.com/app/v1/index.php

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
You spent 20k on a motorcycle and you want to sleep in a cemetery or in a tent on the side of the road?
I certainly agree with you on the cemetery and tend to agree with you on the tent camping but I've been on rides where-as the tent camping is part of the trip and I might add an enjoyable part at that.

I would though not tent camp in the heat of the summer.
There's just no fun in that.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You spent 20k on a motorcycle and you want to sleep in a cemetery or in a tent on the side of the road? I would rather stay home. Motel rooms are between $45 and $80. You get a bed, hot shower and in some cases a continental breakfast and you feel like a human the next day.
Try this website for reasonable lodging. lodging.http://www.momandpopmotels.com/app/v1/index.php
Different strokes for different folks.
I tent it frequently and don't think I am less human than you on the second and subsequent days.

The fun and adventure of the trip is what you make it.

Hey, that just gave me an idea for a thread. Stay tuned...

Old 12-21-2014, 01:30 AM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

One nice thing about tent camping is I am able to get off the grid and unplug from life before returning to the work world. Motels have T.V. and news programs, I can't get as good of a start in the morning cause I stayed up all night watching reruns.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 AM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I certainly agree with you on the cemetery and tend to agree with you on the tent camping but I've been on rides where-as the tent camping is part of the trip and I might add an enjoyable part at that.

I would though not tent camp in the heat of the summer.
There's just no fun in that.
Tent camping is fun I agree but under the right circumstances i.e. a stationary venue for more than one night replete with campfire, food, booze etc. not in lieu of motel accommodations when traveling from A to B.
Like another poster said "different strokes for different folks". The OP was seeking opinions and I presented mine.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the KOA cabins. Hauling a tent, sleeping bag and all that stuff takes up so much space.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:58 PM
rattracer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. I see a lot of, "just get a room", and that makes sense. I try to do two or three trips a year, 5-6 nights out at a time. I track my expenses pretty close, and I can do a week on $1,000 (except Sturgis!). Motels are always about $500-$600 of that, I was just trying to figure a way to get my trips down to around $500-$600. Thanks again for all the input. But cemeteries - well, that's why we have conversations, I guess. Would never have come up with that on my own!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Not everyone is afraid of the Boogerman. Some of us actually strike out on the road with no reservations and no idea where we'll bed down that night. Look at my sig pic. I slept more than few nights in bear country at the side of the road to get to where I was going on that trip. For the record, I've never paid 20k for a motorcycle in my life.

If you're gonna dress the rugged individualist part, you gotta be willing to skip the continental breakfast sometimes.

Quick Reply: roadside accommodations