Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

roadside accommodations

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Not everyone is afraid of the Boogerman. Some of us actually strike out on the road with no reservations and no idea where we'll bed down that night. Look at my sig pic. I slept more than few nights in bear country at the side of the road to get to where I was going on that trip. For the record, I've never paid 20k for a motorcycle in my life.

If you're gonna dress the rugged individualist part, you gotta be willing to skip the continental breakfast sometimes.
I'm not quite sure of the tone or intent of your post but the OP asked for advice/opinions and I rendered mine. You have directed your post at/to me inferring that I am afraid of this "Boogerman" and I dress the rugged individualist part"?

"Not everyone is afraid of the Boogerman."

"Boogerman"??? What is or who is a "Boogerman"? Some guy who picks his nose in public?

"Some of us actually strike out on the road with no reservations and no idea where we'll bed down that night".

I call that poor planning.

"I slept more than few nights in bear country at the side of the road"
I call that foolhardy.

"If you're gonna dress the rugged individualist part, you gotta be willing to skip the continental breakfast sometimes".
I assume you are inferring that I am a poser. In my signature there are two of the many trips I have taken over the years. I have ridden every state in the lower 48 with the exception of North Dakota and Minnesota and ridden to Mexico twice so I would say I am no poser or boulevard biker. I dress without pretense according to the conditions.

Last edited by Joe Mc; 12-22-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Like others have said, map out your route and see whats available in the area where you'll be stopping at nite. Have stayed in many KOA CG often located close to interstates, or if you're the running 2 laners check the small towns you pass thru as most all of them have a small park that allows camping,often free of charge.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:19 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Not everyone is afraid of the Boogerman. Some of us actually strike out on the road blah blah blah
Stop... Please...This is not a real biker thread, don`t turn it into one.

OP:

I lived most of my life in south Florida, and spent a lot of nights camping, but not in the summer. Too hot and humid to be in a tent.

The temperature does not go down much at night like it does up north.

But, I say take the camping gear and give it a shot, maybe you are one of those that aren`t bothered by the warm temps.

The big commercial campgrounds may not offer a wilderness experience, but they will have good facilities like clean, working showers and probably a convince store, and it will be quiet at night.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 AM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Down load the app "Camp and Tent" into your tablet or smart phone .No more worries .

Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM
coopermwc29
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We usually try to catch any motorcycle advertised friendly campgrounds. Had good success with National and State park campgrounds and KOA as well. Good thing about KOA is they also have sites with washers and dryers when you get a bit crusty.

Also found a great deal on the Oregon Bedroll that makes for quick packing on the bike. Dew cover for the good weather nights and use a tent or motel for really wet evenings. Also try to scatter in a cheap roadside motel for the washouts.

http://www.oregonbedroll.com

Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I've never camped on a bike, but I wouldn't want to haul camping gear. If you have room and the weather is good enough for ya, then I say go for it. It seems if you are going for something like a KOA, you can get a cheap hotel for the same price. Like others have said stay on the other side of cities to avoid traffic. I've done the no reservation thing with little to no difficulties, just make sure to get someplace figured out before it gets too late. There are plenty of apps to help you with this, or you can just Google hotels and figure out where you will be when you want to stop for the night. If staying low on the budget is what you're after, then conti breakfast might be a good bet. Taking some food with you is another option if once again, you have room.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Most KOA's I've stayed at were $20-$25, where can you find a hotel room for that amount?

Old 01-14-2015, 06:47 PM
sadsack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Different strokes for different folks.
I tent it frequently and don't think I am less human than you on the second and subsequent days.

The fun and adventure of the trip is what you make it.
+1
On a two week bike trip, I might spend 1 or 2 nights at a motel...(if it's pouring down rain)

Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 PM
sadsack
Intermediate

[QUOTE

Also found a great deal on the Oregon Bedroll that makes for quick packing on the bike. Dew cover for the good weather nights and use a tent or motel for really wet evenings.
[/QUOTE]

Another good bedroll is made by Duluth Pack....doesn't need a "dew" cover. I've spent several nights in a light rain without getting wet. Like the Oregon Bedroll, it's a little pricey, but well worth the cost. I've used mine for over two years (probably 150 nights) and still looks new.

WWW.duluthpack.com

Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

If you use it often.... good camping gear is worth the price. Some time back other brands were very good but anymore lot of economy stuff just doesn't last or is iffy. Sleep pads come apart. Tents leak or zippers crap out...etc... A little more for a good quality setup may be worth it? Read reviews.

Quick Reply: roadside accommodations