Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

What Is Your BEST Ride EVER & Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

One goal which cannot be done in a single ride is the "farthest" rides.

The farthest landfall ride east in the US is a light house in Maine. For the farthest landfall south is Key West of course. But it needs an asterisk. There is some private islands more southern. The farthest west is in a park below Seattle. It requires walking out some on a wooden walking path. The farthest north is unique. Due to an error in mapping an Indian reservation east of Winnipeg is US territory. The entry road has a kiosk with a video phone to handle the border crossing. Unless go go by boat up from Minnesota you need to ride into Canada to get there.

The central land mass of the 50 states is in Belle Fouche (sp) South Dakota. The population center of the US keeps changing so I have never tried to catch it on a ride.

It is like counting coup or getting a merit badge to visit those places.

Do the Arctic Circle and Death Valley which are good bucket list goals.

I have not done Pikes Peak yet or the Grand Canyon. Both can be done in one ride.
The other goal I have not done yet is the highest ride. Haven't done the research to find the location but it should be in the Rockies over 12,000 feet. I have done over 11,000 feet.

Setting these goals keeps me motivated to keep living and riding. What do I do when I finish my list? Very easy, do it all again but by a different route. So far I have used interstates as much as possible. Repeat rides will use local roads as much as possible.

See ya on the road!

Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 AM
Mikey_P
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My best ride so far has been a 4500 mile trip with my oldest son when he returned from Afghanistan and a close second was a motorcycle trip through Vietnam with him, my brother in law and his son.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
One goal which cannot be done in a single ride is the "farthest" rides.

The farthest landfall ride east in the US is a light house in Maine. For the farthest landfall south is Key West of course. But it needs an asterisk. There is some private islands more southern. The farthest west is in a park below Seattle. It requires walking out some on a wooden walking path. The farthest north is unique. Due to an error in mapping an Indian reservation east of Winnipeg is US territory. The entry road has a kiosk with a video phone to handle the border crossing. Unless go go by boat up from Minnesota you need to ride into Canada to get there.

The central land mass of the 50 states is in Belle Fouche (sp) South Dakota. The population center of the US keeps changing so I have never tried to catch it on a ride.

It is like counting coup or getting a merit badge to visit those places.

Do the Arctic Circle and Death Valley which are good bucket list goals.

I have not done Pikes Peak yet or the Grand Canyon. Both can be done in one ride.
The other goal I have not done yet is the highest ride. Haven't done the research to find the location but it should be in the Rockies over 12,000 feet. I have done over 11,000 feet.

Setting these goals keeps me motivated to keep living and riding. What do I do when I finish my list? Very easy, do it all again but by a different route. So far I have used interstates as much as possible. Repeat rides will use local roads as much as possible.

See ya on the road!
IH...those would be great ride points to check off and be a nice journey. As for the western most point in lower 48, I would have thought it would be on the Olympic Peninsula across Puget Sound from Seattle and southwest of Port Angeles, WA. BTW, outstanding ride from Seattle on the ferry and across to Port Angeles and around down the WA coast.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 PM
NorwegianFatBoy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello folks new member here

My greatest trip was the Mother Road - Route 66.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 PM
cmass
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best trip to date, rode from San Antonio, TX to St. Louis, MO. In a buddy's wedding and wife was pregnant so couldn't ride. Figured instead of flying, why not ride. Camping out after a day's ride, just enjoying the road...nothing like it.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:01 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Lots of good stories here.

I figured that not having a schedule to adhere to would be key to having a good experience.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to say the time we took one of our Harleys on a cruise to the Caribbean. Rode every island we ported at. We were able to get out of the tourist traps and really able to see what the Islands were all about. Guess I took that "Rode Mine" sticker to the extreme. FT

Old 07-07-2015, 04:59 PM
dynoflyer
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Solo from Boston to Sturgis, then Montana and Wyoming over the Beartooth Pass, down to Cody and Denver. Up to Vail and back to Denver. Saw my daughter and old friends. Awesome trip, even though I went solo you're never alone going to Sturgis for Rally Week . . . . EVERYONE is going to the same place! Met lots of new people and rode with 6 crazy Quebecois, Canadians for a day who didn't speak much English. Great time. Here's a video if you want to see it.

Last edited by dynoflyer; 07-07-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:19 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Every trip is a memorable one,been taking 2 weeks since 2010 and riding to new areas. Last year we took 4, made no reservations, left Lancaster, Pa. with a list of roads and areas we wanted to see and headed west. Rode north west across the states then north into canada as far as Jasper AB then back into the states as far west as Washington State. I have been to Montana fishing on several occasions but riding around, over and throug the rocky mountains so far that has been the best ride of my life. We are in the planning stage to do it again in 3 years, this time through Colorado, Utah and up the Pacific coast before turning east.