Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bob and Cheryl Fall Ride Through Appalachia

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:20 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Great stuff! So fun to ride along on someone else's ride. I really like that your wife takes photos from the bike while moving. I haven't asked my wife to do that so I only get photos of things where there is a place to pull over whether I am solo or 2-up. I think I'll show my wife your photos to get her interested.

Thanks again. Fun to look at, especially since we had our first shovelable snow of the season today. (Subscribed)
Thanks Kurt.

Cheryl really enjoys taking pictures along the way. It gives her something to focus on and it makes it more interesting for her. Ninety percent of the pics I post are from the bike.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bob,
So glad to see we are going to get a story out of you after all. This winter wasn't going to be the same without one. Heck I even tried my hand at writing one just to pass the time. Your trips are always so well written. Glad to see you back. Maybe we can meet up this next year at BBBQ.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:33 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,418 Likes on 5,918 Posts

You're getting spoiled by all your travels Bawb....

All of those roads you didn't care for looked pretty good to me.

I'm with you on the mystery hole thing though. Been there. Those can get you in trouble...

Old 01-06-2015, 04:40 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
Bob,
So glad to see we are going to get a story out of you after all. This winter wasn't going to be the same without one. Heck I even tried my hand at writing one just to pass the time. Your trips are always so well written. Glad to see you back. Maybe we can meet up this next year at BBBQ.
Thanks Mike. I'll be back for another BBBQ. We need to connect for sure next time.

Originally Posted by LoneBone
You're getting spoiled by all your travels Bawb....

All of those roads you didn't care for looked pretty good to me.

I'm with you on the mystery hole thing though. Been there. Those can get you in trouble...
You may be right on the spoiled thing. But I think Cheryl's photography skills just make the roads look good! My story and I'm sticking to it.

Mystery Hole. Lol - what the hell are they thinking? At the very least it conjures up a 55 gallon drum of Penicillin. At worst a pile of bones at the bottom of a pit. Nothing good there.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I use to travel US 60 all the time in a 18 wheeler, it was the only route east before I-64 was built. Did you all stop at the Hawk's Nest ?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM
WillSin865
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Love a winter time biking story!

I've been checking this forum since Christmas, just waiting for a trip from you guys! Love hearing about your adventures. Wish I could write like you do, maybe I'd put something about my summer trips on here, but I'm no writer, and everyone would be bored stiff.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM
nevada72
Banned

Originally Posted by farmboy555
I use to travel US 60 all the time in a 18 wheeler, it was the only route east before I-64 was built. Did you all stop at the Hawk's Nest ?
So YOU"RE the guy we got stuck behind! j/k. Traffic was with us that day and most of the trucks were heading west as I recall, so we were lucky. I can't imagine driving an 18 wheeler down 60 where we were or Missouri either for that matter. You'll see our Hawk's Nest pic shortly.

Originally Posted by WillSin865
I've been checking this forum since Christmas, just waiting for a trip from you guys! Love hearing about your adventures. Wish I could write like you do, maybe I'd put something about my summer trips on here, but I'm no writer, and everyone would be bored stiff.
Well thank you. You might be surprised at your writing skills. The main things are to post up those little things that we all can relate to like routes and beer. And lots of pics!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

good stuff..great pics....

http://www.mysteryhole.com/

Old 01-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Picked this thread up from Charleston Red Roof (McCorkle Ave by chance?) I've ridden from here in NC back to my roots in Ohio and Pennsylvania once a year and I try to take a different route every time, as long as it runs on some part of Appalachian back roads. Scraping floorboards in second gear climbing up and running down the opposite side with the occasional glance over the guard rail into ?...(I wonder how many cars might be down there never to be found?) As wild as it gets east of the Mississippi, I think. And I love it.

Thanks for the post.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:52 PM
nevada72
Banned

We recovered from our brush with the Mystery Hole and continued winding our way east towards White Sulphur Springs and lunch. The entire route so far was nothing short of exhilarating. And it was nice to easily converse with Cheryl the entire time. We never even turned on the music. We were content to just chat away about the road, the scenery, what we would have done with the 355 million dollar lottery winnings, and the bike.

Ah yes - the bike. I kept bringing up how great it was because Cheryl did not conceal her displeasure when I showed up on the SGS and not the Ultra a few months earlier. I was hoping it's cool factor as well as superior performance would win her over immediately. But, the coolness did little to assuage her dislike for the new ugly "beige" Street Glide. (It's Desert Sand Camo dammit!) Unlike me, she has an anthropomorphous relationship with vehicles. No - not like that! She names them (the Ultra was the black cat) and associates a personality to them. She actually liked how loud the black cat was and it was our 1st bike together. On it she took her first adventure out west. So I kind of get it, but I had to do everything in my power to make this bike better to her. I sent our Mustang Supertouring seat to Mean City Cycles to have some memory foam added. I ditched the rear pegs for Kuryakyn mini-boards and Baron lowering blocks to drop her feet much lower and wider than they were on the Ultra. The exhaust is quieter, but I did install Supertrapp Stouts for that deep low rumble she likes. And I think she was starting to like the bike. But, she sure as hell wasn't going to let me know that. "It's okay." was about all I was getting.

Anyway, we rumbled east following the black ribbon up and down, sweeping left then right. Sometimes pouring on the coal, and sometimes content to just glide on through. You all know how it is. You've been there. Close your eyes and think of your last great ride. That's the last time you rode because all rides are great. Feel that wind. Hear that sound. It's great to be away from all the chains that bind us everyday. And options! It's great to have options, all at the whim of your right hand. You see a nice downhill straight and how can you not just roll that throttle back and listen to that V-twin sing? Bills don't matter. Bosses? Non-existent! All the troubles in life just blow straight out those twin pipes and evaporate into the Fall air. Some people say these bikes are expensive. I say bullsh*t. Way less money than a shrink or a doctor.

And that's how it is. Mile after mile. We talk. We see. We ride. Nothing better. Living the dream.

Those are the thoughts we have when we get in a groove out in the middle of nowhere. Then, every once in awhile we come upon something that breaks the rhythm. It can be anything. A town, a river, a house, whatever.

In this case it's a park. Hawks Nest.

We don't typically stop for state parks. We may ride through them, but rarely do we hop off the bike and go for a hike. Today would be no exception. Despite the relatively short ride, I knew the twisties would eat up time, and I didn't want to roll in Raleigh at nightfall.

We continued. Back in the forest groove that this region offers aplenty.

But it's not just winding forest roads. Every once in awhile, signs off civilization. We came upon this burned out home. A somber wake up. The real world, and the troubles that accompany it, does exist.

But it's mostly scenic and pastoral.

If not in a little need of some roof work

to be continued.......

Last edited by nevada72; 01-06-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Bob and Cheryl Fall Ride Through Appalachia