Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Moab in August

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:34 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Durango is 75 or a little more from Ouray. Ridgeway is another 25, so you are looking at about 250 miles from Durango to Moab, and this is almost all mountain riding so don't plan on making great time. This is going to pretty much be a full day. You are going to go over 3 10,000+ passes and the road from Silverton to Ouray has a lot of 25 mph curves and not many guard rails.

While in Ridgeway go about 1 mile North and visit Dennis Weaver Park. There is a beautiful Bronze Eagle on a 15 ft. high rock pedestal. Anyone in town can give you directions.

Lunch in Ridgeway at True Grit, or Norwood at Lone Cone.

Bill
thanks for that info. we have ridden the million dollar hwy. thinking about going to cortez and riding by way of telluride. never have seen that side of the mountain range. still looks like a 240 mile day but that's not to bad in the mountains. is there anything worth stopping for there. google streets doesn't go into town. Thx mike

Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I have ridden over to Moab from Grand Junction the past two years in August and it will be hot (100+ degrees) so plan accordingly. I did my riding before noon. T-storms and dust storms in the late afternoon. SJ Ron

Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
thanks for that info. we have ridden the million dollar hwy. thinking about going to cortez and riding by way of telluride. never have seen that side of the mountain range. still looks like a 240 mile day but that's not to bad in the mountains. is there anything worth stopping for there. google streets doesn't go into town. Thx mike
If you do this you will still have some mountains, Lizard Head Pass, over 10,000 ft., but not as much as through Durango. It is a nice ride. The ride up the river from Teluride to Norwood is nice. There is a place just south of Moab call the "Hole in the Rock". It is an interesting stop. Teluride is someplace to stop, but I'm not a fan. Costs too much, and I didn't find the people real hospitable.

240 miles on this route will be no problem.

Have a good trip.

Bill

Old 01-14-2015, 07:37 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,451 Likes on 21,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Planning to ride Colorado this year and thought I might leave Ouray and ride over to Moab to spend one night. Is it too hot in mid to late August to ride the Moab area for a day?

Talking with some guys last year while in Glacier and they were telling me how hot it is there and you don't want to ride it in August. I rode all through Utah last year and it did not seem so bad.

Any information would be appreciated.
Get ready for H E A T and a lot of it.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,762 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Was in Moab mid August last year mid 90's, like others have said stay hydrated & grab some shade whenever you can and you'll be fine.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I would look at it being warm. Last year when I was in the high desert in Boise that was like a furnace blowing on you. Kind of makes it miserable.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Now I feel confused. Last night I was on go, now undecided. Thanks for the info. Decisions, decisions.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I have crossed southern Utah a number of times in August on my returns from Sturgis. It can be anywhere from a pleasant mid 90's, to an intolerable 110+. Somewhere around 102-103 is where I draw the line. Hotter than that and I think it is dangerous for me to ride.

This summer my buddies and I are planning to ride from the San Francisco Bay Area to Sturgis, mostly along I80. We only plan on staying in Sturgis for a couple of days and then head south to Colorado where we'll ride all the high mountain passes. This is the main part of this summer's ride. The part of the ride we have left open is the return from Colorado to California. If it looks like it will be 102+ in southern Utah, we'll head north where it will be cooler. If it is cooler than 102, we'll cross southern Utah and hit all the scenic spots, Moab, Lake Powell, Capital Reef, the Escalante Ridge, Bryce and Zion National Parks. But we are also prepared to head way north. It doesn't make sense to us to ride through an oven when there are beautiful alternatives available.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Last year after Sturgis, I headed north and did Glacier, Canada, then south all the way through Utah. Did Bryce, Zion and then into AZ to the Grand Canyon. It was not bad. These guys I talked to just had me worried about how hot Moab is.

Heck, when I head home, it may be 100+ there.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Last year after Sturgis, I headed north and did Glacier, Canada, then south all the way through Utah. Did Bryce, Zion and then into AZ to the Grand Canyon. It was not bad. These guys I talked to just had me worried about how hot Moab is.

Heck, when I head home, it may be 100+ there.
And it ain't no "Dry Heat" there

Bill

Quick Reply: Moab in August