Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Moab in August

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Grandslam: Have you ever been to Moab? I agree completely with the route Bill gave you...but may I suggest that if you haven't been there you would be cheating yourself if you didn't spend at least one night in Moab. I've been to Arches/Canyon Lands/Head Horse State Park a couple times...and there's really quite nothing like watching a sunset at Dead Horse State Park!! Per the route Bill gave, you can be in Moab by noon. Its at least a two hour ride into Arches...if you spend the night you can stretch that into three hours (which'll give you time to walk to the closest arches). When you leave Arches, turn right and head a few miles north to the Canyon Lands /Dead Horse State Park turnoff. You can watch the sunset, drive back to Moab in 45 minutes and have a great dinner in some pretty nice restaurants. Next morning take the road east of Moab to Cisco...its a shortcut to I-70 but through more twisting canyons as you follow the Colorado River. Please consider an evening in Moab before returning to Ouray. You live in Mississippi....when are you going to get out this way again? First picture is sunset at Dead Horse and another at Double Arch (about 1/4 mile hike from the parking lot).

Last edited by Whiskers; 01-16-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

For those of you who have never been there, the entire southern half of Utah is in my opinion the most scenic part of the country. It is all just like the picture above, one incredibly beautiful sight after the next. Even the superslab, I70 is spectacularly scenic. So for those of you who have never been there, visit southern Utah and northern Arizona, including the Grand Canyon. You will have a ride you will be talking about for years.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks Whiskers. I plan to spend the night. Do you have a restaurant you recommend?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

One is named 'Zax Restaurant & Watering Hole' and has great pizza/beer/lunch type menu and the other was Fiesta Mexicana...both along the main drag.

Last edited by Whiskers; 01-16-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whiskers I can't see how you did not mention Milts? Zak is ok but Milts is one for the books in my opinion! I will however agree 100% that time should be spent to make an effort to see Arches ( as your photos show) and any other sites while you are there.
A lot of those road are from the mining of yellow cake back in the day.
Russ

Old 01-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Never been to Milts....but its on my list now. Thanks fxd.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely spend a day in Moab.. as was said earlier, Southern Utah is one of the most spectacular
areas in the entire country and it would be a shame to short-change yourself..

Old 01-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
Southern Utah is one of the most spectacular areas in the entire country
The southern half of Utah is THE most spectacular area of the country for riding. My best day ever started in Durango, CO. We rode past Mesa Verde, then west into Utah, north past Natural Bridges, west past Lake Powell, Capital Reed, then south along the Escalante Ridge, past Bryce, and then the skies opened up with thunder storms. After it stopped raining, we entered the east gate of Zion and went through the tunnels. As we were about to descend the seven switchbacks into Zion Canyon, the traffic came almost to a halt. Everyone was going 5 miles an hour. We were all looking at this double rainbow that descended into the canyon, as water was falling down all the red rocks that lined the canyon.

Eventually we got to St. George, UT where we spent the night. It was a very long day, but an utterly spectacular one. Maybe about 600 miles, one of my longest riding days ever.

I70 across southern Utah is also spectacular.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:48 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,319 Likes on 2,201 Posts

Hey guys, I've considered riding out this year as well. I see many campgrounds are first come first serve, do they usually fill up and I need to stress finding a place or is it fairly easy? I tend to not make reservations well in advance.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
Hey guys, I've considered riding out this year as well. I see many campgrounds are first come first serve, do they usually fill up and I need to stress finding a place or is it fairly easy? I tend to not make reservations well in advance.
In most places you will be able to find rooms or camping spaces. We have traveled all over the Southwest and have always found some place to stay. If we don't have advanced reservations, we figure where we are going to be in the evening and start looking about 2:00.

Bill

Quick Reply: Moab in August