Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

1st road trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,600 Posts

For years people have asked me how I could take such long trips on a motorcycle?

My response has always been the same as the answer to the old joke about "how do you east an elephant"? ONE BITE AT A TIME.

Break your trip up into daily segments.
Be sure that you take the things that you MUST have, such as medications, extra eyeglasses, ID, wallet, cash, bike registration and insurance.
A major credit card (or two) is a must as is a reasonable amount of cash to at least get you from one ATM to another.

I take a minimal amount of clothing, usually enough to run me three days.
Most motels have washers and dryers so there's no need to over pack.
Buying an extra T-shirt here and there can sometimes be a good idea.

Since you are traveling alone, having an extra bike key stashed somewhere safe ain't a bad idea.

Have fun and ride safe.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:04 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

When are you going? This is big as what how to bring stuff. Why not mail day clothes etc down there and have him send them back up. Just take what you need for the ride. From ny to anywhere in Tenn 2-3 days. So you need a toothbrush and paste. I always use a modular helmet with music piped in.
Where in NY are you? If near Ct I have a set of saddlebags I could lend you that are sport bike type but will work.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:32 PM
RomeoMike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your butt will be a little more numb then if you had a bagger, but it'll be great. Oh, get a windshield.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

My first big ride was from Boise, ID to Santa Cruz, CA. Did it on a Street Bob with no windshield and a stock seat. Did it in 2 days. You can do it. Everyone had given good advice here. You should check out the Touring Tips & Tricks thread in this section also...IMHO.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:22 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

I use a Saddleman tail bag; it straddles the back fender and attaches at the shocks mounts and turn signals, cheap and carries lots of stuff...would be plenty for me for a couple days if I didn't have saddlebags. I quit wearing leather a looong time ago; too heavy, too hot and little rain resistance...I've crashed in FXRG padded fabric and never got scratched. One cheap item I carry is a pair of flock lined ice fishing gloves; best rain gloves ever and about $25 at Cabella's. Lot's of other good advice here...biggest factor in comfort (and reason the FLH's are favored) is the seat...a sore butt will ruin the day. An FLH sized seat wouldn't look very nice on an FLD though; just be prepared by knowing when your seat is going to "give out" on you. My wife and I have done 27+ states and half the provinces on Dyna's quite comfortably. BTW; have ridden for days on FLH's...just not for me.

Attached Thumbnails 1st road trip-photo-17-.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things I learned I've learned.....

1) Don't cheap out when it comes to rain gear or cold weather gear. Any weather is good riding weather as long as you're prepared.
2) Pack minimally. You don't need a fresh pair of jeans for each day you'll be gone).
3) Bring Tools. Include basic stuff like electrical tape, zip ties, spare fuses, plugs, etc. Don't count on a flawless ride. Mr. Murphy has been my copilot on more than one occasion.
4) Don't rush. Enjoy the ride. Remember, "it" happens regardless of how ready you think you are. If everything went perfect on a trip, the stories and memories wouldn't be as exciting.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,778 Likes on 18,556 Posts

You will undoubtedly pack too much for the first ride ... Most do ... When you get back home make a note of what you didn't need ... It helps for the next trip ... Cell phone and a credit card are real assets today ... Have great ride, ride early in the day ... Get off the road before dark and keep your eyes wide open ...

Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a FLHTC sitting in the garage. Great touring bike and I do pile a lot of miles on it. But I'm just as likely to set off on a multi state tour on my 650 KLR. But the bike does not matter in the least. Your attitude does. You ride per day what's comfortable to you, not anyone here.

Yes, you can make a lot more miles per day on the interstate. But unless you absolutely have too, why bother? Take a few extra days and ride Skyline Drive, the Blue Ridge Parkway and cut through the Smokey's. On the way back use West Virginia. This is what a motorcycle was made for, not highway droning.

TN. is 500 miles wide. When you find out where you have to go and how much time you have, come back for ideas on detailed routes. Such as a real back country favorite of mine is Rt. 63 in northeast TN. An awesome ride along the south side of Cumberland Gap.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:29 PM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

2AMGuy alluded to it, and it has been said many times on this forum.... A multi day road trip is simply back to back to back to back single day, 300 miles rides. Or maybe 200 miles a day, or maybe 400 miles a day. You simple need to decide how many miles per day you are comfortable riding each day. Or you can think about it in terms of hours. It will depend on whether you are on the interstate or back roads.

What is the most miles you have done in a day? Do you feel you can do that many days in a row on your current setup? New seat/shocks/windshield can make a huge difference.

Bottom line is don't race and enjoy the journey. Have the right equipment to be prepared and stay comfortable.

My furthest overnight trip was one night and roughly 300 miles round trip. That was on a Sportster. Then I got a road king and took a 3600 miles 12 day trip. My first day was 570 miles. With the mentality above it was simple, but I ended up rushing too much and not enjoying every minute. As soon as I was home I was wishing I hadn't been in such a hurry, but getting back for work can do that to you.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,963 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I've done many road trips in my time. I find I am generally comfortable riding from 275-350 a day. Occasionally I will do a longer or shorter day. The nicest part of any road trip for me is actually being in the saddle and operating the bike in whatever environment I am in. I like riding on my bike. The other nice part of the road trips is the time I get to spend with my riding family. We are all busy most of the rest of the time. We ride on Sundays and summer road trips is the time we get to spend together. We all have communicators now so we can occasionally talk with each other during the riding day. I've also done many road trips alone and that is special in a different way, just me and the bike. Hope you enjoy your ride as much.

Quick Reply: 1st road trip