Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Summer Trip 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Streetin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer Trip 2015

Thought I would share what we have planned and see if anyone has some additions/suggestions.
We traded the 09 SG for a 14 Limited. My wife is really happy and looking forward to a smoother ride and bigger seat. We had taken several 2000 plus mile trips so we are used to riding long distance.
Here is what we plan to do:
Leave early June from Minnesota and head for San Francisco. The plan is to run across Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, and into California. Stops along the way include Bonneville Salt Flats, South Lake Tahoe and Pier 39. Will spend two days in San Fran doing touristy stuff: Alcatraz, Cable Car...
From San Francisco, head down Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara. I figure a long day here. Not sure what to stop and see yet. Suggestions??
Santa Barbara to Redlands to visit Grandkids for a couple days.
Redlands to Prescott through Sedona to Flagstaff to Durango. A stop at Four Corners is included. Will skip Grand Canyon as we did that three years ago.
From Durango head north on 550 to I-70 and then head east to Denver. From Denver head back across Nebraska and back up to Minnesota. Total trip will take 16 days and about 4200 miles. First three days will be roughly 450 miles. Just interstate driving to get past what we have already seen.

This trip will help us cross off several things from our bucket list:
San Francisco/Alcatraz - did Napa and Golden Gate Bridge already.
PCH - Partial, will do north of San Fran on another trip
Prescott/Sedona
Four Corners
Million Dollar Highway
South Lake Tahoe

Sorry for this being so wordy but any suggestions you have for our trip will be welcomed.
Thanks,
Streetin

Old 01-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I live in San Francisco and can possibly help you questions about San Francisco and this part of California. But let me say a few things.

First about Alcatraz - Make your reservations online as far in advance as you can. If you wait too long, you won't be able to see Alcatraz. There is a huge demand for ferry tickets to Alcatraz in the summer.

San Francisco - Santa Barbara along the PCH. This is an utterly spectacular ride. If you are planning on doing that in one day, it will be a very long day. There is a lot of slow moving traffic on the PCH all summer due to lots of vehicles and very few places to pass. So leave early, expect to arrive late, and have lunch at Nepenthe in Big Sur. http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/. Sit outside overlooking the coastline (as you see in the pic on the web site). There is indoor seating, too, but the joy is to have lunch looking at the incredible scenery.

So how else can I help you with the northern California part of the ride?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Streetin
Cruiser

Michael,
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, Alcatraz tix already bought. Any concerns or tips for driving through San Fran on a bike?
Yes, we did plan for a long day on PCH. Sad but that is the only way to get to grandkids for the weekend.
Thanks

Old 01-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

I've never had any problems riding the hills or getting around San Francisco on the bike. You might have parking issues in the more crowded parts of town but generally it won't be a problem.

Concerning that long day, you actually have a few options for driving down the PCH. Here are a couple of suggestions. You can make it a bit shorter or more interesting. Here are some options.

One is you start right from San Francisco following Route 1 south through Pacifica, Half Moon Bay and onto Santa Cruz. To Santa Cruz would be about two hours. Then it would be on to Santa Barbara. This is the longest day.

Or you can spend the same time and give up some coast and ride through a redwood forest. You would go south on 280, west on 82, south on 35 and then on Route 9 (I don't remember if it is signed south or west) into Santa Cruz. This will take you through a dense coastal Redwood forest. Also about two hours to Santa Cruz and onto Santa Barbara. If you've never ridden through a redwood forest, consider it. You give up some coast and get a nice forest.

Or if you want to ride a bit less that day, you can take 280 to 85 to 17 to Santa Cruz. About 90 minutes. You save a half hour to Santa Cruz. This is all freeway to Santa Cruz. 280 and 17 are nice for freeways.

From Santa Cruz you head south on Route 1 through Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, and onto Santa Barbara.

Or, if you want to make your day a bit shorter, you can take all freeway to Monterey and get to Santa Barbara a bit sooner. You still have Big Sur to ride through, which us quite spectacular.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

I would suggest Montana, Beartooth Parkway and Chief Joseph Skyway unless you've done it before.

Make sure you have plenty of water/sport drink going across the salt flats..

Old 01-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Streetin
Cruiser

Michael, I like your last suggestion to hit freeway to Monterey. Hopefully not miss too much on PCH. Thanks for your suggestions.

Rossn2, thanks for the suggestion, have done Montana except Going to the Sun Road, but that will be next year.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

That day from Durango to Denver....if you ride the spine of the Continental Divide you can make your way to Estes Park and drop down east and catch I-76 from Denver to Sterling without having to go through Denver (which pretty much sucks and scares the crap out of me). Durango-Ouray-Gunnison-Salida-Fairplay-Breckenridge-Frisco-Dillon-Loveland Pass-get on I-70 and head east to Empire-north over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park-Granby-Grand Lake-Trail Ridge Road-Estes Park...onward to points east. You may add another day because both you and wife are going to want to stay in the small towns a bit longer than anticipated. You'll want to walk around Silverton, Ouray, maybe a side trip to the Black Canyon, some great hot springs/lodging north of Salida, nice lunch at the Dam Brewery in Dillon before rolling over Loveland Pass, maybe spend another evening in Grand Lake...then heading over the top of Trail Ridge Road...want to pick up trinkets at the visitor center up on top before dropping to Estes Park...hard to drive through that town without walking around a bit. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. If you've never been to Colorado you ought to think about 2-3 extra days just to see the places I mentioned. Ride safe and be sure to post pictures.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 PM
Streetin
Cruiser

Whiskers, Thanks for the input. Yes, the Dam Brewery in Dillon would be a great place to stop again. Great food and beverages.
Berthoud Pass would be a nice change from the Interstate. Even drew my wife's interest.
Did Estes Park in a car. Not that much fun. Would love to do it with the bike. Will definitely consider
Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Streetin
Michael, I like your last suggestion to hit freeway to Monterey. Hopefully not miss too much on PCH. Thanks for your suggestions.
If you take the freeway to Monterey and then go south on the PCH to Santa Barbara, you can figure on about 2 1/2 hours to Monterey and another 6 hours to Santa Barbara. That is riding time and it may be a bit more if there is the expected traffic. Add in your stops for food and gas and you do have a long, but a wonderful day. The coastline scenery through Big Sur is as good as it gets. And don't forget to eat lunch at Nepenthe in Big Sur.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 AM
Streetin
Cruiser

Thanks Michael. This was the information I was looking for. I know we can't see everything there is to see, but we can do that on another trip.

Quick Reply: Summer Trip 2015