Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Loading bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Loading bag

Going solo, anyone ever remove pass backrest and leave luggage rack and strap a duffle style bag on back seat and rack? Pics?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:26 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Got a pic of your set up or what kind of bike you got at least? Just a thought but why not leave passenger seat on and throw a duffel on it so you will have a backrest?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:45 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior

I have a RoadGlide. I have riders back rest already that I may or may not leave on. I have a Hammock seat. Was going to put a longish duffle drybag that will go from about mid pass seat to back of luggage rack. Pic of bike.

Attached Thumbnails Loading bag-image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 10:51 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

If you can remove the passenger back rest i don't see a problem with what you want to do. I would run your back rest though. It will provide better support and maybe help tie down the bag by "sandwiching" it. If you don't get much response here, maybe try the General or Glide section? The guys who know something about this may not be on this section much.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
If you can remove the passenger back rest i don't see a problem with what you want to do. I would run your back rest though. It will provide better support and maybe help tie down the bag by "sandwiching" it. If you don't get much response here, maybe try the General or Glide section? The guys who know something about this may not be on this section much.
I agree. Leave the backrest on and secure the bag at several points. That is essentially what I do when I tour. And, I believe in redundancy when attaching a bag to a motorcycle, so use extra bungees or whatever you are using. Loose bags can be fatal.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:26 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I used to strap a big LL Bean duffle bag across the p-pad of my Low Rider, in front of the short backrest. It worked fine for trips, held down with bungees. It was packed tight enough with clothes, tent, sleeping bag, etc., that I didn't have to worry about the sides flopping down, even though they stuck out about 8-10" on each side. High speed, wind, thunderstorms, never had a problem.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Done it lots on my softail. I get a 2 man dome tent, fly, shock cords, sleeping bag, air mattress and pillow in it. I strap it to the passenger seat with bungy cords. It's like riding an armchair when it's in place.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior

Yes men I am talking about loading it from front to back not side ways.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:30 AM
switchglide12
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Loading bag

When I had my Switchback FLD I took 8 day trip NJ to TN on that trip I had no passenger backrest so I tied my overnight back on the backseat off I went. It stayed on for the entire trip. Now I have Ultra limited it has lots of storage even on 2 up multi day trips.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I only tour solo so I always have the T-bag on the passenger seat. If you are using something like a T-Bag with a backrest pouch just turn the bag around and slip the pouch over the rider backrest and strap it down. That leaves the luggage rack available for strapping on other stuff, jackets, helmets, tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Bill

Quick Reply: Loading bag