Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bike Wash While On The Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve255
I use Pledge Multi Surface Everyday Cleaner and a hotel towel, just spray it on and wipe it off, very easy. I also clean my windshield with Plexus. I do this every night after the bike cools down.
I do something similar - though I just keep the bike "presentable" when on the road and take a vacation from my usual A-type approach to cleaning bike. If caught in rain, I hose it down at car wash. If just bugs, then wet towel an Pledge? If relatively unscathed, then pop-a-top and reminisce about the day's ride... You can't always ride, but you can always clean...

Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,331 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Never.

I rack up 5K miles and they service and wash it for free. (YES both.)

Was riding with a friend a wk ago. He looked at my bike and said it was clean. I must have just had it serviced. I laughed. He was right.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Best Western Riders Rewards program. I've used it a couple of times.

Most towns have a do-it-yourself car wash. Just don't hold the nozzle close to the bike, you just want it to get wet, not water blast the paint off of it.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Most of my long rides, nature gave me a free wash at some point. Other than that, a motorcycle can handle a lot of dirt just fine. And it shows folks you're not just a bar hopper...

Old 01-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Wash it when you get home....

Old 01-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I wipe mine down either in the evening or in the morning when on the road. But after riding through miles of rain, sooner or later I go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of Shout. I go to the car wash and spray the bike down to get it cooled off, spray the Shout all over the bike and wash off. Dry off with a towel. Spotless and shining like new.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry a can of Pledge and some micro fiber towels. Cuts the bugs off and does a good job on my tin.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

When you think you have heard everything this thread pops up. This is the new line drawn in the sand. I hope I never travel with someone that stops to wash their bike. I refuse to bow down to that chunk of metal. Ben there done that.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:38 AM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Doc
Just messing with ya no offense intended.

I know. Didn't take it that way Some interesting responses though

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
My wife takes pride in wiping both of our bikes down of an evening while traveling.
Normally fills up a hotel trash can use old towels and soap I bring along.
Sounds like a good plan....but that would be a LOT of towels if you were out for two weeks. Unless you kept them in a bag and washed them at the motel on occasion maybe.

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Good question. Here is what I would do. First, figure out where you might be on a day that you want the bike washed. Call the local dealer and ask if they wash/detail bikes of riders coming through their city. And if they do, make an appointment.

My local dealer, Dudley Perkins HD of South San Francisco washes every bike that gets serviced. I think I once saw a sign of the prices they charge for the washing if not accompanied by a servicing. Now don't quote me on this but I think the prices ranged from about $50 for a simple washing to $300 for getting the bike detailed.

Ouch!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-20-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:51 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdaniel52761
Crazy question but has anyone been on a road trip and stopped at the local dealer to get a bike wash? Curious as to how much they charge and how long the wait was
Is this an entry into the "Weird Winter Thread Contest"?
Do some people really take their bike to the dealer just to get it washed?

Last time I washed my bike during a road trip was about 5,000 miles into a loop around the country. Been through dust storms in Nevada and Arizona, rain in Texas, more rain in Louisiana, lots of good red mud on the roads and more rain in Alabama, where we would stay with friends for a week. I had to wash the bike just to get enough mud off so I could get to the drain plugs to do an oil change.

Quick Reply: Bike Wash While On The Road