Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bike Wash While On The Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Wash While On The Road

Crazy question but has anyone been on a road trip and stopped at the local dealer to get a bike wash? Curious as to how much they charge and how long the wait was

Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That almost says to me if you need to ask it is probably going to be too much? If mine needs cleaned up on the road besides the windshield. I carry some soapy hot water in the little complimentary ice container at the motel and motel towels out to wipe mine down its free.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:28 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

After supper we clean so we are ready for the next day. Windshields, mirrors, and anything that may be hard to remove if it sits too long.
Last thing I am thinking about on a road trip is having my bike washed at a dealer.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Car wash, but only if it really needs it, cooling fins caked in mud comes to mind. Once ran into some mud on a dirt road by a lake, slipped and laid her down. After extracting the bike I found an old water bottle and some twigs and spent a few minutes cleaning my fins, foot levers and belt drive. There's clean and there's clean enough.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 2,559 Posts

Best Western is supposed to have bike washing facilities available to guests. I have gotten as little as a half busted hose and as much as hose, bucket, sponge, soap and towels. Or you can go to a coin operated self serve car wash.

We were in Green Bay the day before the 110 Anniversary in Milwaukee and my bike was wasted from North Dakota, mud, cow s**t etc. Was not going "home" like that. Went to local auto parts and spent $10 on a bucket, sponge and some soap. When I was done I left it for everyone else waiting to use the hose, it was greatly appreciated by all. Especially the gentleman that gave me too much Jack in appreciation. Between that and two-fers at the hotel bar, we had a nice afternoon cleaning bikes.

I have never heard of dealership cleaning your bike unless they just worked on the bike.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Doc
That almost says to me if you need to ask it is probably going to be too much? If mine needs cleaned up on the road besides the windshield. I carry some soapy hot water in the little complimentary ice container at the motel and motel towels out to wipe mine down its free.
If you do that ask the motel for old towels, let's keep the motels biker friendly.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Car Doc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
If you do that ask the motel for old towels, let's keep the motels biker friendly.
I usually keep my bike out of the mud. lol

Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 PM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Doc

Nope.....simply curious is all.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdaniel52761
Crazy question but has anyone been on a road trip and stopped at the local dealer to get a bike wash? Curious as to how much they charge and how long the wait was
Some dealers have a hose available for self-service...ask nice and even offer to pay for it may get free access.

If the dealer is going to wash the bike for you (some do offer this service), make absolutely sure they aren't going to simply pressure wash your bike...I've seen it happen.

FWIW, as mentioned above, some hotels will allow the use of their water hose. I'm one of those crazy riders that likes a clean bike so I usually carry my own bike washing soap, mitt, and a drying towel. Hate to use any towel that's been dropped in the dirt and grit.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Wash it when you get home.

Quick Reply: Bike Wash While On The Road