Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding Around Spokane

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Riding Around Spokane

A bunch of us are meeting up in Spokane in the late spring, early summer. We will be there for a couple of days and would like to ride/explore the area.

Do you have any choice rides in the area you would share? Rides that would leave in the morning, stop somewhere awesome for lunch, and return back in time for supper? Are there any "must see" attractions in the Spokane area?

Thanks for your tips and suggestions.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:24 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Cowboy
A bunch of us are meeting up in Spokane in the late spring, early summer. We will be there for a couple of days and would like to ride/explore the area.

Do you have any choice rides in the area you would share? Rides that would leave in the morning, stop somewhere awesome for lunch, and return back in time for supper? Are there any "must see" attractions in the Spokane area?

Thanks for your tips and suggestions.
I'll give you 1 that I always recommend. From Spokane head north and over to Sandpoint, Idaho. From Sandpoint head east on 200 into Montana down to Thompson Falls, Mont. From Thompson Falls there's a nice, scenic paved secondary road that takes you to Murray, Idaho over Thompson Pass. After riding along the Coeur d'Alene River you come out at Kingston, Idaho at exit 43...43 miles from the WA/ID state line. Minnies at Thompson Falls is good for lunch or that Coyote Bar on the way to Thompson Pass is good also. Murray, ID has the Spragpole Bar and Museum and another joint on the corner that is good.

Don't want to get any Spokane folks upset here but have you considered meeting up in Coeur d'Alene (CdA)? You could do the ride above from CdA, and a few more, since Northern Idaho offers way better options, IMO. Besides, CdA is a nicer town to base from. If the HD dealer location is important, it's an easy 20 minute ride away.

Last edited by mtgriz; 01-31-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:38 PM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by mtgriz
I'll give you 1 that I always recommend. From Spokane ...
Thanks! That looks like a great ride.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master

Are there any biker friendly bars in the area that I should check out? Any 'must try' restaurants?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Cowboy
Are there any biker friendly bars in the area that I should check out? Any 'must try' restaurants?
Probably the most popular biker bar for Spokane and Coeur d'Alene riders is Cruisers at Stateline, Idaho. There's even a lane from the parking lot where you can ride into one end of the bar and out the other. Coming from Spokane take the last exit in WA State off I-90 and go left at the botom of the exit ramp. Cruisers come up on your left about 1 mile ahead, just past a titty bar. Only bikes I've seen at the titty bar are a couple of Gold Wings, so you can guess how boring those heiffers must be.

I'll give some thought to restaurants.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master

mtgriz,

Thank you. Very helpful.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Another great putt is along the east side of Lake Coeur 'd' Alene down 97 to Hwy 3 to Hwy 6 and back up 95.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master

Originally Posted by woodman
Another great putt is along ...
Thanks! I will check it out

Old 02-13-2015, 01:57 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A great trip is from Spokane South to the Snake River and across Lower Granite Dam. A lot of wheat country for 3/4 of that leg but dropping down to the Snake and across the dam is worth it. from the dam back through some farm country and up the snake to Clarkston, Lewiston ID, then north on 3 through Juliaetta and then 6 to St. Maries. 3 north out of St. Maries will turn to 97 and take you through Harrison ID and around LKE Coeur d Alene. 97 connects to I-90 the 30 minutes back to Spokane. Google maps shows 7.5 hours and 326 miles. There is some haul *** rolling farm ground that will shorten that time. I would try Effy's in Clarkston for lunch, they have a great burger you can't finish. For dinner the Wolf Lodge where 97 meets I-90 at the end of the day has a great wood fired open flame steak. Spokane is 30 mins back from there on I-90. Map Spokane WA, Lower Granite Dam WA, Clarkston WA, (at this point you will need to drag the route across the dam onto Almota Ferry Rd and Lambie Grade to come into Clarkston from the west on 12.) Juliaetta ID, St. Maries ID, Harrison ID, and back to Spokane. There are good stops and great views all along the way. Harrison has a cool biker friendly bar and a killer ice cream shop.

There is also some great stuff north of Spokane where I live in the Kettle Falls area. Check out ST Route 20, Flowery Trail, ST Route 20 west from Kettle Falls to Republic then down the San Poil river on 21 to the Keller Ferry. Also north and west of Republic search a little town called Molson WA. Its a well preserved ghost town that is a blast to walk through. It is like standing in the late 1800's. I'd be glad to show ya around my back yard and some of the cool sights around Lake Roosevelt and the Columbia River. Maybe come up this way as you leave and see here for a day then go to some of the good stuff in lower BC. Shoot me a message if you want to chat more. Good luck. EW

Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master

EricW,

That route sounds awesome! Thanks. I will certainly look into it.

Quick Reply: Riding Around Spokane