Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2015

Old 04-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,723 Likes on 18,538 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebike32
Don't be afraid to try it by yourself. "Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself."
and between Ohio and South Dakota you'll find Sioux Center and maybe Firebike will buy you a beer

Old 04-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
and between Ohio and South Dakota you'll find Sioux Center and maybe Firebike will buy you a beer
We're not the middle of nowhere but we can see it from here.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 PM
brokenwing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will likely solo from Troy, MI which is just north of Detroit.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:18 AM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I rode home alone to Ohio last year from Sturgis since my group had more time to spare than me. Made better time riding alone plus less stops etc. Great experience. Would do it again and not look back.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Bought my first Harley touring bike last June and headed out from Lafayette la to Sturguis July 20th. My wife didn't want to deal with the Tex heat and meet me in Colorado. The whole trip was a hellofa adventure but the first couple by my self was fricking liberating or something of the sort. I remimber it like was yesterday, it was a great feeling man. Just strike out man, there's plenty bikes out there you won't feel alone.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:02 AM
defib
Novice

So I'm trying to set this up to ride to Sturgis for the 75th. I see there is a KOA at Devils Tower with open campgrounds. Do I need to make reservations for this or is there a shot I can get closer. I will be tent camping; hopefully the GF will be able to get time off as well.

Any info on camping would be appreciated.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:17 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Sturgis 2015

Originally Posted by defib
So I'm trying to set this up to ride to Sturgis for the 75th. I see there is a KOA at Devils Tower with open campgrounds. Do I need to make reservations for this or is there a shot I can get closer. I will be tent camping; hopefully the GF will be able to get time off as well.

I would definitely make the reservation, and cancel if you don't use it.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 305 Likes on 193 Posts

I say ride solo.

One tank
One bladder

Keep tools you might need, and of course a CC and some cash.
I have Road America - I extend the coverage thatsfree with being a HOG member.

I like to keep some extra fuel onboard, but if you fill after you touch a 1/4... you wont need it.

If you have longer days planned check for hotels and get their phone numbers so you can reserve in advance. I know i've been stuck riding in the dark - but that predates smartphones...

Like many have said - It is you and the road. It really is awesome. Sure riding with some one is fun - but solo is fun and has different rewards.

Ride safe

H

Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by defib

we ( my son and i) are camping at the broken spoke....its about 11 miles from the buffalo chip and 15 miles from downtown sturgis. you should make a reservation but they will only refund up until july 1st i think after that you lose your money. its a very cool place and very clean. the bathrooms and showers are real nice and they have washers and dryers should you need. there is a cool bar that has live bands at night and food, and they have a shuttle to easy riders downtown which also gives you at least 1 drink ticket for easyriders each night. mt bro in law has spent 5 or 6 of his last 7 years there and swears by it.....

Old 05-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Popptarte
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DaGroundZero
I'm planning to ride alone from NW Arkansas. This will be my first trip up on a bike, but I'm ready for the adventure. I am going a week early and will be camping.
Where are you taking out from in NW Arkansas?

A group of us are going from where I-40 meets AR-7 at the 81 Exit in Russellville.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sturgis 2015