Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:36 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by defib
So I'm trying to set this up to ride to Sturgis for the 75th. I see there is a KOA at Devils Tower with open campgrounds. Do I need to make reservations for this or is there a shot I can get closer. I will be tent camping; hopefully the GF will be able to get time off as well.

Any info on camping would be appreciated.
You can do better than the KOA at Devils Tower. Do a search and you'll find lots of good comments on Shade Valley, Rush No More, Glencoe and Hog Heaven as well as others. I've camped at the middle 2 and will do so again. Your GF would probably be happier with 1,2, and 4. While these 4 campgrounds are fairly close to Sturgis, it's very easy to ride off in any direction for the day.

Last edited by mtgriz; 05-15-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 AM
defib
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

Lots of great ideas here. I will work on my plans with the boss this week. If all goes well I may see some of you there. I'm leaning towards shady valley. I'm not that rowdy of a guy anymore and don't drink.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Your GF would probably be happier with 1,2, and 4.
I'm curious to know how you decided that. Most of the girls I pal around with (including my OL) would be happier at Glencoe than the others! LOL!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by From_Behind
I'm curious to know how you decided that. Most of the girls I pal around with (including my OL) would be happier at Glencoe than the others! LOL!
...well, I did say probably. I actually agree with you.....and the couple times I had a lady ride with me to Sturgis, each liked Glencoe. Lots of very social regulars there. But, I felt from the OP's post he might be fairly new to biking and Sturgis camping and thought I'd recommend going conservative.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i'd just hit the road solo.

i've ridden out there by myself the last 5 or so years....best part of the trip is the 12 hours on the road to myself, all the other bikes on the road, the smell of pesticides from the crop dusters...talking to others at gas stations. looking forward to doing it again...maybe i'll catch up with you at the Worthington, MN stop....

Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Camping In Or Around Sturgis

Hello,

I'm not sure if I will make it back stateside in time, but if I do I might head out to Sturgis. This would be a last minute decision so if I did it would I be able to find a place to camp without a reservation? All I really need is a place to pitch a tent and set up a smal camp site. Thanks.

MC

Old 05-22-2015, 10:16 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mountain Cruiser
Hello,

I'm not sure if I will make it back stateside in time, but if I do I might head out to Sturgis. This would be a last minute decision so if I did it would I be able to find a place to camp without a reservation? All I really need is a place to pitch a tent and set up a smal camp site. Thanks.

MC
Having been to Sturgis more than I care to admit, IMHO one can always find a place to camp.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have ridden "alone" to Sturgis with a zillion other bikes on the same road. They are in front of me, behind me and along side of me. Don't they know I ride alone?

I too have a white beard, hair and wear a black T shirt and black jeans. So if you pass me when I'm riding alone at least wave!

Note to all: Elkview campgrounds has never required reservations for tent camping as they have acres and acres of area for them. You can save a few dollars per person per day though by making an advance reservation. Just make a copy of it because when you arrive they can't always find it on their records.

This pic from last year with a camping trailer area in the back ground should give an idea of the amount of empty space in the tent area to the N side of the grounds.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-27-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 PM
jevans
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm making my first trip to sturgis from north MO. Riding solo but I'm sure that won't last long. I'm staying at the Broken Spoke. Some friends of mine at the local indy shop always stay there and love it. Not sure what day I am leaving yet.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM
jkeeton81
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone is still looking for a pass....I can't make it this year and am selling my Buffalo Chip Pass for lower then face value. PM me if interested

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2015