Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Looking for input about upstate NY trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:16 AM
RandyM890
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for input about upstate NY trip

Hello, I am from Michigan and we are trying to decide what to do for our annual Labor Day weekend trip. I was thinking about suggesting a trip through upstate NY...was thinking about the Andirondack Park area (Utica, NY) or the Catskill Park area. Any info on these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, heading west to east as you will be, I recommend spending a little time in the finger lakes area. Very nice, and the southern side has a ton of small towns whereas the northern end is developed. Wineries line the finger lakes north to south.
You could take rte. 8 from Utica all the way through the Adirondack park until it meets rte.9 at Lake George and spend the night there.
Lots of possibilities.....

Old 02-22-2015, 12:35 PM
RandyM890
Stage IV

Thank you zeke383...I will definitely look at those areas to try to come up with a route to present to the other guys...

Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Lake George is a long way to go for a weekend. Don't spend all your time riding, and stop & see a few things. Look up Letchworth State Park near Rochester, and then to Watkins Glen State Park. Then up 14 to Sodus Point NY, and have lunch by the shore of Lake Ontario. Kind of a nice artsy-type little gift shop town. Then 414 back down the east side of the lake, back through Watkins Glen, and 414 down to Corning. Then 15 down to Mansfield PA, and route 6 west to head home. On 6, must-stops are the PA Grand Canyon, and Kinzua Bridge State Park, as well as Kinzua Dam. Also look up Benezette PA. Largest population of free-roaming elk, east of CO. I bet you'll have a full weekend doing all that.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything said is great advice.

My number one would be check out the 1000 Island Region. Depending on what you want to do, Alex Bay would be a good overnight. Take a Uncle Sams boat trip. I absolutely love the 1000 Islands, went 4 times last year.

Check out the link below. These maps designate motorcycle routes as ell as restaurants, gas stations, lodging, dealers, etc... maybe be worth the $. I keep a pair in my saddlebags for trips around the state. Use them to plan day trips.

http://www.nymotorcyclemap.com/motorcycle-maps/

Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 PM
rugerman63
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

andirondack park, catskill mts, lake George area, are all very good choices.. lived up there for many yrs..
Vermont and new hempshire are really nice also.
have a great time. stay off the interstates.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:50 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just realized you are talking about a weekend trip. Might be tough to squeeze in sights, good riding and relaxing after the ride...
Take the suggestions above and map it out with your buddies.
FWIW I like the Adirondacks way better than the Catskills. The Thousand Island thing is something I should've said too. Glad it was mentioned. It's worth seeing Bolt Castle while there.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

From Utica I wouls head up north on 12 and hit 28 into the lakes area around Old Forge. Great area. Whitewater rafting there. roqds are twisting, curving and you can run 50+mph most area.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,668 Likes on 1,669 Posts
Default NYS Ride

Randy, Living in upstate NY all my life,the lake George region is a beautiful area to ride. We partially like Routes 28 and 30. You can ride north out of Lake George village area on Rt 9 and then connect with Rt8 west to hook up with Rt 30 north again. You can take Rt 30 up to the top of the state and follow it over to Vermont via Rouses Point, which will take you through the middle of Lake Champlain via Rt2 into Vermont. Rt 2 will take you if you follow it far enough to Rt 100 in Vermont. Mountains in NY and the lakes along with the grand aisle of Vermont Rt 2 and the quaint farms and villages along rt100. It all depends on you time frame and how far you want to ride. My wife I took this two day trip from our home which is seventy miles below Albany.Lake George is one hundred fifty miles from our home. We stayed overnight in a hotel along Rt30 then rode the remainder of our trip the next day.. We rode seven hundred and fifty miles in those two days to give you and idea. It's a beautiful area ! Enjoy you trip, ride safe..

Old 02-23-2015, 01:43 PM
1978dd
Stage I

Originally Posted by zeke383
Well, heading west to east as you will be, I recommend spending a little time in the finger lakes area. Very nice, and the southern side has a ton of small towns whereas the northern end is developed. Wineries line the finger lakes north to south.
You could take rte. 8 from Utica all the way through the Adirondack park until it meets rte.9 at Lake George and spend the night there.
Lots of possibilities.....
I was stationed in the Finger Lakes (Romulus) watching )Shhh) bombs. There used to be a large heard of white deer on the compound and not albinos! That was back in 81-82.

Quick Reply: Looking for input about upstate NY trip