Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Yes 219 and or 250 are great roads ... Done 'em many times.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I can detour off a little but I need to keep heading south from Erie, PA then take TOD north/west to overnight in Fairfield Glade, TN. I'm confused on what to do now. Hahaha.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 03-03-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Some of the best trips I ever took involved a guess and a wrong turn :>)

Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Some of the best trips I ever took involved a guess and a wrong turn :>)
I hear ya! I'm on a semi-schedule so need to stick to the plan but I've built in some leeway while in the mountains.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Be prepared for the Chicago area ... It can be very tough and treacherous on a scooter.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Be prepared for the Chicago area ... It can be very tough and treacherous on a scooter.
Agreed. Waiting on morning traffic to clear out before I hit the road.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:56 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Buz, from looking on the map and my timeline I think this is the best option you've given me:

If because of time you must use interstate try your original plan of I-79, I-77. I-77 crosses the BRP at Fancy Gap, Virginia. (exit 8) There's a motel up the hill at that exit. Country View Motel, $32 a night. Across the intersection from the motel you go about a mile and then right, into Fancy Gap. Try the Lake View restaurant for breakfast. It's cheap and good, the entrance for BRP is right there. You would be about 275 miles from Cherokee and the most southern section of the BRP is the best.

That looks to be about a 7.5hr ride (465 miles) so I can leave mid morning from Erie and take my time getting to the Country View motel on Sunday night and relax with a few beers. Then I'll have all on Monday to take my time down the rest of the BRP to southern end of TOD then up and out to Fairfield Glade, TN (probably around 400 miles or so). Is my thinking right? I would image that's a full day of riding with the speeds on the BRP and TOD. I'm more excited than ever now!!!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Riding 465 miles on the interstate to get to Fancy Gap is one thing. Planning to ride another 400 miles, a lot of which is the BRP and the Gap is another. You are ruining the best part of your trip.

For one, with that schedule you will miss the beauty of riding the BRP. Two, pushing yourself may lead to hanging bike parts on the tree of shame. Three, fog can always slam your ride shut. Riding in rain, even snow, is nothing compared to the fog you can find on the BRP. It can really be a solid wall of white. You don't make very good time when visibility is three feet beyond the front fender. Ask any VA or NC local about this fog. I hit this stuff at least a couple of times a year. It sucks.

I'm sorry, I should not have made any suggestions to this thread. We think on different planes. You are on a road trip to visit friends and family with a tight schedule. I see friends and family at weddings and funerals. My bikes tours are for me. I really have to learn that.

Good luck with the trip.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Riding 465 miles on the interstate to get to Fancy Gap is one thing. Planning to ride another 400 miles, a lot of which is the BRP and the Gap is another. You are ruining the best part of your trip.

For one, with that schedule you will miss the beauty of riding the BRP. Two, pushing yourself may lead to hanging bike parts on the tree of shame. Three, fog can always slam your ride shut. Riding in rain, even snow, is nothing compared to the fog you can find on the BRP. It can really be a solid wall of white. You don't make very good time when visibility is three feet beyond the front fender. Ask any VA or NC local about this fog. I hit this stuff at least a couple of times a year. It sucks.

I'm sorry, I should not have made any suggestions to this thread. We think on different planes. You are on a road trip to visit friends and family with a tight schedule. I see friends and family at weddings and funerals. My bikes tours are for me. I really have to learn that.

Good luck with the trip.
Three, fog can always slam your ride shut. Riding in rain, even snow, is nothing compared to the fog you can find on the BRP ... You can never tell when it will "set in" ... I had to give at 2:00 in the afternoon and spend the night at the Mt Pisgah Inn ... You couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II

Good luck with the trip.

So this suggestion of yours wasn't a good idea?

If because of time you must use interstate try your original plan of I-79, I-77. I-77 crosses the BRP at Fancy Gap, Virginia. (exit 8) There's a motel up the hill at that exit. Country View Motel, $32 a night. Across the intersection from the motel you go about a mile and then right, into Fancy Gap. Try the Lake View restaurant for breakfast. It's cheap and good, the entrance for BRP is right there. You would be about 275 miles from Cherokee and the most southern section of the BRP is the best.

Please don't apologize for your direction. If I have to alter my trip because of the weather or something I sure will. This trip is for me, and only me, but part of this trip is about seeing and staying with friends along the way. I made a reservation at the Knight's Inn in Galax, VA (right near BRP, cheap and good reviews) for Sunday night that I can cancel. I thought you had said there was still 275 miles left to Cherokee and the best views were at the southern section which I am all for and why I'm going down there. I can also stay the night at the southern point or somewhere else if it gets too late but my goal was to get to Fairfield Glade, TN if at all possible on Monday night. It's not the end of the world if I don't and I'm CERTAINLY not going to push hard in the mountains to get there. Please don't stop giving me suggestions as I need good folks like you to give me the options. Thanks again for all you've given so far.

Quick Reply: Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North