Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North

Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Bagger ... You'll enjoy the trip and that's what counts

Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Bagger ... You'll enjoy the trip and that's what counts
That's my hope, just need guidance on how to go through the Smokies and why I started the tread.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 2,155 Posts

Riding the BRP from Galax to the end, in one day, and then riding some more might be a stretch.....

We usually ride from the Galax area to Asheville, spend the nite, then ride on to the end......then to Cherokee or into Maggie or over the mountain to Gatlinburg........

The southern half of the Parkway is money!....

Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bentryder
Riding the BRP from Galax to the end, in one day, and then riding some more might be a stretch.....

We usually ride from the Galax area to Asheville, spend the nite, then ride on to the end......then to Cherokee or into Maggie or over the mountain to Gatlinburg........

The southern half of the Parkway is money!....
That is great to know and I built in some time after Erie for weather or doing exactly what you wrote. I have a friend a couple hours away from Asheville that was thinking of meeting me there. Could have him and his wife come over on Monday night and ride all day Tuesday and be to Fairfield Glade on Tuesday night. I've never been riding in Smokies so looking for all the guidance I can get. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 2,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
That is great to know and I built in some time after Erie for weather or doing exactly what you wrote. I have a friend a couple hours away from Asheville that was thinking of meeting me there. Could have him and his wife come over on Monday night and ride all day Tuesday and be to Fairfield Glade on Tuesday night. I've never been riding in Smokies so looking for all the guidance I can get. Thanks!
a Smokey virgin?.....ha......

I'm about 5 minutes off the Parkway around Sparta N.C.....when ya cross hwy 21, wave!.....lol.....enjoy the ride....you can't go wrong riding most any route thru the hills........even I-40 is a nice ride thru........

Old 03-04-2015, 08:38 PM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I live in upstate South Carolina and we do most of our riding in the smokies and surrounding areas. You are getting some fantastic advice. All of the routs mentioned are amazing. The BRP is one of the most scenic roads you can ride. If you have the time it is a must see, however, I caution you to make sure you have plenty of time for that stretch of road. In June lots of cages are sightseeing on the BRP and the pace can be quite slow. Not a problem if your taking in the sights but can be troublesome if you have somewhere to be.

You also mentioned stopping and spending the night near the dragon. I would highly recommend that you check out blue waters mountain lodge. https://www.bluewatersmtnl.com
This is a small 7 room lodge on lake santeetlah, just outside of robinsville. This is about 10 min from the dragon. Mike and Maurry are wonderful hosts, the meals are amazing and breakfast is included with the room and you will love the breakfast. Now the dragon is one of those biker rights of passage and it would be a shame to not ride the 318 curves in 11 miles since you will be so close, but honestly it's not my favorite road in the area. One of my favorite roads in that area is the cherohala skyway. It is much more scenic and far less traveled than the dragon and you don't have the crotch rockets riding wheelies by you on the skyway. all of this is just food for thought. You really can't go wrong riding in this area. It is all beautiful country.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleyvetteguy
My wife and I live in upstate South Carolina and we do most of our riding in the smokies and surrounding areas. You are getting some fantastic advice. All of the routs mentioned are amazing. The BRP is one of the most scenic roads you can ride. If you have the time it is a must see, however, I caution you to make sure you have plenty of time for that stretch of road. In June lots of cages are sightseeing on the BRP and the pace can be quite slow. Not a problem if your taking in the sights but can be troublesome if you have somewhere to be.

You also mentioned stopping and spending the night near the dragon. I would highly recommend that you check out blue waters mountain lodge. https://www.bluewatersmtnl.com
This is a small 7 room lodge on lake santeetlah, just outside of robinsville. This is about 10 min from the dragon. Mike and Maurry are wonderful hosts, the meals are amazing and breakfast is included with the room and you will love the breakfast. Now the dragon is one of those biker rights of passage and it would be a shame to not ride the 318 curves in 11 miles since you will be so close, but honestly it's not my favorite road in the area. One of my favorite roads in that area is the cherohala skyway. It is much more scenic and far less traveled than the dragon and you don't have the crotch rockets riding wheelies by you on the skyway. all of this is just food for thought. You really can't go wrong riding in this area. It is all beautiful country.
Thank you very much. With the information that has been provided by all you fellas, my plan is the following as it sits right now:

-Sunday - leave Erie, PA and spend night in Galax, VA (Interstate most the way)
-Monday - leave Galax and take BRP down to Robbinsville (assume I can make it there in a day, weather permitting, from what was presented earlier).
-Tuesday - ride wherever I'm directed by you folks and take TOD north so I can make Fairfield Glade, TN that evening.

Sound like a good plan???

Old 03-05-2015, 06:56 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

we will be doing close to same trip in June, what date are you in Abingdon? we are staying there sat the 20th? here is my maps hope it helps you route your trip...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cinc...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bris...35.5181575!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Magg...78!1m0!1m0!3e0

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 03-05-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Harleyvetteguy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Be sure you have a good rain suit for this trip. In the south we get frequent pop up thunder storms in June. Not usually a big deal. They usually don't last long. My wife and I just consider it part of the experience now. We have logged quite a few rain miles on the bikes, and contrary to popular belief, Harleys do not melt in the rain.

On an unrelated note: be sure to document your trip and post it. I am wanting to make a trip up north on the bikes. I'm thinking up the coast line to Maine or something like that. It's a trip I probably will not be able to take until next year but it is on a short list of trips I want to make soon so I will be very interested on how your trip goes and when the time comes I will be asking you for route advice.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 AM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
we will be doing close to same trip in June, what date are you in Abingdon? we are staying there sat the 20th? here is my maps hope it helps you route your trip...
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cinc...m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bris...35.5181575!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Magg...78!1m0!1m0!3e0

I'm actually going to be staying in Galax, VA on Sunday night , June 14 and down by Asheville on Monday night (don't know where yet). I'll take a look at your maps and see if I can glean any ideas. Thanks, SB.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 03-05-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North