Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Time in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

For years we made the trip over to Alexandria Bay for dive trips. Never had an issue. While Customs didn't do a stand up comedy routine, they were always professional going both ways.

The people were outstanding and I never found anyone nicer. We always had a great time. I'd love to ride up by bike and unfortunately a trip to Nova Scotia got cancelled
this June.

You don't need a passport as a passport card is accepted and easier to carry. If you need one, don't wait until the last minute to apply or the expedited fees can add up.

All of the crossings we made I doubt we waited more then ten minutes. No doubt holidays and weekends are longer.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 113 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeUltra
Thanks for the heads up on the longer crossing over the holiday weekend - I wouldn't think going to Canada during the American holidays would be an issue.

Zeus - do you have any experience with ON-17 from Sault St Marie to Sudbury? It seems to big a decent sized highway, yet my map is calling this a scenic route. Any truth in that?

HardRider - that sounds like a great ride also! The original goal was to touch all the Great Lakes, but Superior got axed so we can get back in time for the 4th.
Yes it's a great road to ride... beware of deers and bears, there is a lot in that area.

Last edited by Zeus55; 03-03-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Buckeye
C'mon up. Driving the bridge is an experience. You just gotta look down as you cross it to realize how high you actually are. If height is an issue to you concentrate on the road ahead and you"ll be good.
As others have said, any past convictions can ruin your day at the border. Leave your firearms at home, wear a helmet, watch for deer on the road, and don't exceed the speed limits, which are stupidly low, on Hwy 17.
Should be some great places to camp between Sudbury and Parry Sound. Another way is to go to Manitoulin Island, overnite there, then take the Ferry to Tobermory and south to Niagara.
Our national holiday is July 1, so with us on the first, and you guys on the fourth, there will be lots of people travelling, camping, and hotelling. You might want to reserve a Niagara hotel room in advance, or stop a little short of Niagara.
And one last thing: enjoy the beer!

Cheers, Peter

Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
I went to Canada once. Will not go back. Don't like their gun laws, and their border guards are asses. At least the one I got.

Bill
Our last trip to Canada, we waited in line, removed our helmets and sunglasses and had our passports in hand. When it was our turn at the gate, I shut the bike off and just relaxed, keeping my hands on the grips. We said hello and responded courteously to his questions. When he gave us our stuff back, he said "Welcome to Canada , enjoy your stay". We thanked him and wished him a pleasant day as well. As we left, he said, "nice bike". Altogether a pleasant but professional interchange. The next day, going in again, he looked at our passports, smiled and said "back again?" He waved us through with no more questions. Never have had a border agent in Canada or the U.S. give us any grief. Of course, we treat them with respect, follow their directions without comments and are pleasant to them. Maybe you get back what you give.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Ok Bill, let me guess.....when the border guard asked if you had firearms to declare you couldn't just respond with a simple 'no'
Did not get smart with him all. I knew about the gun laws, did not have one, and was hoping for a pleasant visit in Watertown. He was an *** before the questioning even started. He told me to pull forward to the line. The bike's front tire must have gone an inch of so over the line and he had started yelling, "I said on the line, not over it and not behind it", made me back up 10 feet and start over. At that crossing they treated everyone in our group (6 bikes) like that.

Glad most people have had good experiences. It just wasn't the case with us, and we did not give any of them any grief or reason to act like they did. I am aware that you get back what you give, and I was going into a foreign country so I was on my best behavior.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 03-04-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

I was turned around at the border about 10 yrs ago because of a 1982 DUI. Any drug arrest,assault domestic violence or any arrest misdemeanor or more is reason to be denied enterence. I have been back to Canada since but it wasn't driving it was on a cruise ship and was nervous as I was with my wife's family.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Here is my insight for what it's worth. Suggest taking the eastern shoreline (M-23 rather than I-75) at Standish, once north of Bay City. Nice two-laner that goes north to the Bridge. Mackinaw City is a must stop if you haven't been there before, but it will be busy at that time. North on 75 across the bridge to the "Soo". Even though July 4th is an American holiday, July 1st is Canada Day (their Independence Day). The International bridge can be very busy between the two holidays. Hwy 17 east will start out as divided then return to two lanes east of Echo Bay with passing lanes after that. There will be lots of truck traffic or "Transports" as they are called in Canada. You will notice the change in landscape from rock outcrop to wetland to shoreline then back to all rock, 17 east will turn back to divided near the little town of Whitefish. Traffic will pick up once you near Sudbury or "The Rock" as it's referred to, you'll understand once you see it. I don't know much about camping in the Sudbury area, but once you turn south on Hwy 69 you will notice the landscape change again to a softer landscape. The next city center or centre will be Parry Sound, the home of Bobby Orr. From here your ride will become more urban as you continue toward Barrie and south toward Toronto. As stated before a passport is required, passport card is easier to carry, bring Canadian $, they are glad to exchange at par. Good luck have a nice ride.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:59 AM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

A random tip: watch out for slippery surfaces at the border crossing. Oil and whatnot accumulation where the cars stop. Maybe it's because the road at the checkpoint is unlevel (so they can see into your car better?) Going south thru niagara, I wasn't sure whether to drive on the grill in the center or off to one side. It's tilted so much that I couldn't get the jiffy stand down. Slipperiest was the toll booth on the way back north.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the Tips Guys.

Last night I booked Otsego Lake in Michigan and Grundy Lake in Ontario. All I have to do now is figure out my Niagara Falls stay.

No legal issues here to worry about.

I am not afraid of heights - cant wait to get the full experience of the Mackinac bridge. That was a bucket list item for me.

Poppawhiskey - any places you list to eat while in this general area?

Lude - thanks man, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Same question as above, any good place to dine?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:33 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in New York about an hours ride to the border at Niagara Falls. I have traveled to Canada many times in my life. Here is what I know:

Plan extra time for border crossings. Especially during rush hour and on weekends and holidays. Make sure you have enough fuel for a long line and that your bike can handle running without moving (over heating) for awhile.

You'll need a paper passport/passport card. In NY and some other US border states you can get an enhanced drivers license that you can use in place of a passport.

The questions at the border will include, where you are going, why and for how long. They may also ask about contraband items and whether or not you plan on working (earning wages) in Canada.

They will not grant you access to Canada if you have any felony convictions on your record, including DUI. One reason for the questions is to keep you at the checkpoint long enough for them to look up your record.

You should make sure that your health and motorcycle insurance cover you while in Canada. It is very common that it does not and most people assume and find out it doesn't when it's already too late.

If you are currently financing your motorcycle through Harley they have restrictions on bringing a bike into Canada. The reason for this is because USA motorcycles are often stolen while in Canada. This is another good reason to check your insurance coverage before you travel.

As for Canada itself, the people are friendly, the landscape is great for motorcycling adventures, and if you're into camping, fishing, or hunting you're going to love it.

Quick Reply: First Time in Canada