Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Time in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:06 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Just remembered the last couple times I crossed I was asked when the last time I was fingerprinted that wasn't employment related. I've heard this from a couple others so you might have an answer ready for that one. In the last case it was for a Utah concealed carry permit and the border guard didn't even blink nor ask me if I had a firearm with me. Just said OK, have a good ride. They've got all your stuff on the screen they're looking at anyway.....and that's fine. I hope the U.S. side has the same info on folks coming this way.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Key Hole in Mackinaw City, Driftwood in St. Ignace, Zorba's or the West Pier Drive-in in the Soo, Wacky Wings in Soo, Ont. to name a few. If you need more info give me a shout.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Poppawhiskey
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Buckeye
Lude just nailed it for ya.
On my ride through that area I ate at Audie's Restaurant when I stayed in Mackinaw City, next nite on Manitoulin Island, ate at a place called The Happy Moose in Mindemoyo. It was very popular. Next nite in Haliburton ate at a place called McKecks. Enjoyed that til closing. Next destination was family in Ottawa. Off your route a little.

Cheers, Peter

Old 03-05-2015, 05:17 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Did not get smart with him all. I knew about the gun laws, did not have one, and was hoping for a pleasant visit in Watertown. He was an *** before the questioning even started. He told me to pull forward to the line. The bike's front tire must have gone an inch of so over the line and he had started yelling, "I said on the line, not over it and not behind it", made me back up 10 feet and start over. At that crossing they treated everyone in our group (6 bikes) like that.

Glad most people have had good experiences. It just wasn't the case with us, and we did not give any of them any grief or reason to act like they did. I am aware that you get back what you give, and I was going into a foreign country so I was on my best behavior.

Bill
There is always one in every crowd. We have friends in Canada and have been going there at least once and sometimes twice a year for the past 15 years. In all those crossings I've only encountered one border agent who was a true jerk. Most are serious yet professional. If my only experience had been with that one jerk I would probably feel the same way Bill does.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWaterJim
I was turned around at the border about 10 yrs ago because of a 1982 DUI. Any drug arrest,assault domestic violence or any arrest misdemeanor or more is reason to be denied enterence. I have been back to Canada since but it wasn't driving it was on a cruise ship and was nervous as I was with my wife's family.
6 of us were headed to Nova Scotia 2 years ago. 5 made the whole trip, my *** was sent packing when we reached the Canadian border. I was told in no uncertain terms that my passport was flagged, and if I tried to cross at another entry point I would be arrested and detained in Canada. Some old assault charges and a DUI from the 80's. Oh well, I was still off work for a week and in the wind, could have been worse.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Lenaitch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the thing about this site on cross-border road trip threads - somebody's looking for info and somebody's gotta chime in on laws, prices, customs, etc. that aren't just like home. Foreign countries are funny like that. No, I can't get into the States with a criminal conviction either. Everybody's got border agent stories, good and bad. Technically, you don't need a passport or equivalent to get into Canada - you need a passport to get into the States - and Canada won't let you in if they know you can't get out.
To the OP's questions - +1 on the M-23 being a better ride and The Bridge worth the experience (watch if windy). Even on a holiday weekend the Soo crossing shouldn't be too bad. Ont-17 between Soo and Sudbury has some 4-lane but mostly 2-lane with passing lanes. Good eateries in Bruce Mines, Caroline Beach Motel in Thessalon. At Hwy-6 jct get gas if you need to since there's not too much else to and around Sudbury unless you go into the city. Grundy Lake is good. Only some provincial parks around Toronto restrict booze on some weekends due to kids' parties. Google 'Ontario Parks' for info. Once you are south of Barrie you're into pretty much solid urban until Niagara Falls. Major highways unless you're willing to map an alternate but it will only lessen the pain. If you hit at rush hour (which seems to run from 6am to 10pm) you will hate all of humanity. Any other time you will only hate some people. You schedule sounds tight, but if you have to time and are into it, Science North in Sudbury is worth the visit. Enjoy your ride. Yes, there are moose, deer etc. but I quite frankly can't recall the last time I saw one during the day on that route.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 AM
hamlinbikertrash
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much exactly what happened to me. I was there many many times with no issues. Then in 2011 i was stopped, brought to immigration and told i was NEVER to come back. They told me i would be arrested if i tried. All from DWI(2) in the 80`s. But it`s their country and i`m ok with that. Plenty to see here.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 AM
mountain man
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So what just about everybody is saying, if you had a DUI you have no chance in crossing into Canada??

Old 03-15-2015, 10:03 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know whether it has been mentioned yet but Ontario has almost 0 tolerance for alcohol if you drink park it.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:21 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mountain man
So what just about everybody is saying, if you had a DUI you have no chance in crossing into Canada??
No. Seems like it can be hit or miss as in the post above yours where the poster crossed often and then suddenly there was a problem. Seems I read there's a process one can go through to overcome convictions. Best contact the Canadian Consulate for reliable details.

Quick Reply: First Time in Canada