Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Oregon- Hells Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
I have included Hells Canyon on my itinerary this year. I will be heading south from Clarkston WA to the Enterprise/Joseph OR area. I am seeking info on route 39 to Imnaha and route 3955 south. Anyone have any information on road conditions, canyon overlooks, restaurants, gas stations etc.?
We stay in Baker City at Oregon Trails Motel.It's old but clean and cheap with a pool and a restaurant in front. Just two blocks to downtown.
From there riding in the Doughnut Hole between Hwy 97 to the west ,26 to the south and 84 to the north is spectacular

The passes on Hwy 7 out of Baker City are great . Into John Day and up 19 into the Fossil Beds to spray , Fossil and Condon. Awesome riding , few cars and great roads. Watch out the little towns around there shut down on Sundays. Check on gas.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks woodman.

Has anyone ridden FS 3955 from Imnaha south to FS39?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Baddad1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hells canyon rally is a freaking blast . This will be our 3rd year , camping at the school again . Can't beat the rates lol

Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have been to Imnaha, its a dead end there, or turns to gravel. There is a Small, small, town if ya want to call it a town. It does have a post office/store/sporting/restraint/anything else in one building. It is kinda cool. Then come back a couple miles towards Joesph and hook south thru hells canyon overlook I think NF-39 towards Oxbow or halfway and into Baker from halfway. OR hwy 71 to Cambridge out of oxbow.
But out of baker to Sumpter or west in any direction is awesome. Enjoy!! IT's ALL GOOD...........

Old 03-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Joe Mc
Banned

Originally Posted by turdlefxst
We have been to Imnaha, its a dead end there, or turns to gravel. There is a Small, small, town if ya want to call it a town. It does have a post office/store/sporting/restraint/anything else in one building. It is kinda cool. Then come back a couple miles towards Joesph and hook south thru hells canyon overlook I think NF-39 towards Oxbow or halfway and into Baker from halfway. OR hwy 71 to Cambridge out of oxbow.
But out of baker to Sumpter or west in any direction is awesome. Enjoy!! IT's ALL GOOD...........
Thanks turdle. I see on the map that the road turns to gravel north of Imnaha and toward Hat Point but the map does not denote gravel on NF3955 south out of Imnaha to where it joins NF39. Would you happen to know if NF3955 is paved or gravel?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:02 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the same thing, it is gravel... the big chunky kind.
Nice ride to check it out, and have a cold one at the "1 stop". Its the kind of place with a big pot belly stove in the center. It is the end of the world out there... then you can come back and go south thru hells canyon overlook. Take some piknik supplies, pay attention there will be pot holes, critters & such, its the high route and is cooler....when ya drop back down to oxbow or baker the temps run in the 90 to 100, hence Hell Canyon....

Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Joe Mc
Banned

Originally Posted by turdlefxst
I thought the same thing, it is gravel... the big chunky kind.
Nice ride to check it out, and have a cold one at the "1 stop". Its the kind of place with a big pot belly stove in the center. It is the end of the world out there... then you can come back and go south thru hells canyon overlook. Take some piknik supplies, pay attention there will be pot holes, critters & such, its the high route and is cooler....when ya drop back down to oxbow or baker the temps run in the 90 to 100, hence Hell Canyon....
That's good to know. Nix on the big chunky stuff. Thanks. Imnaha sounds like it is worth a stop.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

The road to the look out was under construction, not sure if it still is. I thought it was going to be around the summer it was going to be done, but I could be wrong. When we went the road had big pot holes...not good. Sumter is a better area than the canyon in my opinion.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Last July, the road just south of the Overlook turnoff had construction that left 7 miles unpaved (we only went from Joseph to the Overlook). Biker coming up from Oxbow said that it was not fun but still passable. Also, gas at Oxbow was reported to be closed for good. If you fill up inJoseph, you should have no issue making it to Baker.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're heading south from Clarkston I assume you will be going thru Asotin. After the Rattlesnake Grade stop for a cold one at Bogans Oasis. They also have air conditioned cabins. It was 100+ when I was there last year.

Quick Reply: Oregon- Hells Canyon