Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

BAY OF FUNDY THIS SUMMER ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Aqclean
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAY OF FUNDY THIS SUMMER ?'s

Hi to our northern neighbors and to all that have been recently to Canada.
Mid July my wife and myself will be setting up base camp in a motel in Calais, Maine. (reservations all set). There are 3 border crossings there so that should be a plus, we plan on taken in The famous Bay of Fundy and riding the Bundy Trail. What I'm looking for is some nice roads maybe with some forest /cliffs along the coast line/waterfalls. (any ideas) We also plan on seeing some whales, and eating a ton of lobster. Calais is about 1 hr. from St. John, not taking inconsideration border crossing. Were considering the ferry to Nova Scotia(got to decide to make reservations) the coast looks fantastic over there. Again we will be lodging in Maine, so we have to ride back.
What I do know is Helmets all/passport/proof of insurance/registration/ get bike inspected/and be polite to guards no matter what. Anything I forgot. 4 days 3 nights, We do not ride full throttle, we putt, and get there when we get there. I did send for the tourism brochure.

Please
Let me know what's hidden out there. Maine looks like it would be fun also.
Thanks in Advance
dave in RI

Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,228 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I haven't been up that way in a while, but can say, if you're thinking about Nova Scotia.....do it!!! Having said that, if you only have 4 days, time will be tight.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Lenaitch
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not certain but it sounds like you're planning to do day trips out of Calais. If so, you won't have time to do the Saint John-Digby ferry. Plan to get off the main TransCanada Highway 1 in NB and take the highways that go into the coastal towns along the way (they have various numbers and are actually pieces of the original highway): St. Andrews, St. George, St. Martin, etc. The are a ton of whale watching trips out of St. Andrews (and probably other towns). The road through and past St. Martin is a good ride but you have to double back out. I've not done the Fundy Nat'l Park loop but hear it is good. If you do get into Nova Scotia, the Annapolis Valley/Fundy shore is incredible. If you go around the bay between New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, take the highway through Five Islands, Parrsborough, etc. Lots of good eateries everywhere but I can only take so much lobster. You're from New England so you know to pack for a variety of weather and temps. Enjoy !

Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

With the limited time you have indicated, why not plan a route into Canada and plan a couple of different overnight stays along the route as opposed to doing day trips, I am sure you will get more sight seeing in that way, sitting down to a lobster dinner and a couple of good Canadian beers and then head to the hotel for the night, rise in the morning and repeat.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Aqclean
Advanced

Thanks for the reply.
We have decided to hold off on Nova Scotia this trip. Like mentioned the Digby N.B. ferry is a 3 hr. crossing which is short compared to the others but that would be 6 hrs. of a day. I even thought about getting a room for the night in NS. But the cobalt trail is 187 miles if I remember right. With my wife on the back and frequent stops and ... we might get it done in a day and a half. lol (but that's what its all about.)
We are going to miss around in Hopewell rocks, ride the Fundy trail, and got to see the chocolate museum. Then I think we are going to head a little south to Lubec Maine, and the into Rosevelt/Campobella park which is actually in NS. Maine looks like it also has some beautiful coastline.
I have wanted to see the Bay of Fundy for awhile (bucket list a surf thing)
One day when I realized it was a 8hr. drive I was going, did not make it last summer, dam the pages of my Nova Scotia tour book are warn out from looking thru it all the time. I think that book has the old ferries listed.
Thanks for all I still have quite awhile, and the internet stinks, overload to much instant info, (oh look at this place no this one I feel like that helmet sticker I am confused as a baby in a topless bar) remember when we pulled out a map studied it and left. (or you were cutting edge using AAA to do the leg work for you)
Dave In RI
yet.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have a great trip, St Andrews is very nice, you have all you need, maybe check on health insurance just in case. Lots of good sites, I have enclosed a link that might be of some help.
http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/new-brunswick

Old 03-09-2015, 06:17 PM
2011FLHX103
Cruiser

Hey man. I live right on the Bay of Fundy. All kinds of nice rides even if you have your base in Calais, ME. You can cross at Lubec to Campobello Island which is NB. You can take a ferry to Deer Island and then a ferry to mainland NB. All are incredible rides. If you plan on venturing a bit further you can be to Alma (Fundy National Park) within 4 hrs at a comfortable pace. Feel free to PM me and I can give you some more detailed info and potential ride routes.
Take care,
Kevin

Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Aqclean
Advanced

Simonizer thanks for the link.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Aqclean
Advanced

Hi Kevin
That must be a pretty cool place to live. I bet it's got to beautiful We aren't going to have as much time as I would like. We were thinking of a whale watch tour also out of Lubec if we don't spot them while playing on the coast line. Is there anywhere with eagles? The wife loves them watches on a cam all day at work and home. Is there any area I should stay clear of ? I will pm you from work as soon as I get a chance. .

Thank you
dave in RI

Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

You'll have a great time in NS. We spent a few days there a couple of years ago. Great people! Everywhere we went we were asked if we needed directions, where did you ride from, where are you going.
By all means check the tides at the Bay of Fundy and make sure to see the tidal change.
Make sure to bring warm, and rain, gear.