Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Campers, I need some advice and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,571 Likes on 9,799 Posts

Some people can do camping and others just aren't into it. I have been camping since I was a teenager and enjoy roughing it. I told my son once that we were practicing being homeless LOL! No really it forces you to interact with the other people there, no TV or internet etc. Although nowadays, you can get cable, wifi, electric, water and just about anything you would have at home right at your campsite. I would recommend a camper though if your sig other doesn't like tenting.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Blk Betty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We enjoy a campground over a motel . Theres more interaction with other people camping verses going in your motel room and closing the door . We ususlly stay in a KOA or RV campground that has warm showers and restromms !

Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

done quit a number of camp trips, both long and short. 2 weeks from chicago to LA via rt66 and back. camped a bunch. blue ridge parkway. along old muddy down to NO.

camping mean flexable, if bad weather find a hotel. if starts to rain in the middle of nite, laugh about it.

although their are a lot of places to purchase stuff two of my favorites are REI (online or store) and www.Campmor.com

tent and sleeping
- there are quit a number of good 2 man tents that roll up small but i suggest getting into it and see how you feel. some are just almost claustrophic. i like two doors, one on each side so you don't have to climb over to get out. its nice having height to stand up, but not necessary. self standing is a must. canopy that completely covers the test will help in rain. and get a ground cloth or use like a 6mm drop cloth cut to size.
- i always carry like a welcome mat to put outside the door in an attempt to keep dirt out
- you can get a blow up mattress that folds down to like 6"X4" or there abouts. the smaller and lighter the costlier. again, try it out. lay on it, etc. this is what i like about REI is that you can try it on site. you can also get rollup pads that are light but would have to store in like garbage bages to keep dry.
- i use two sleeping bags. one rolls up to about 14"X3" and is good to around 45 degrees. the other one is about the size of a coffee mug and addes 10 degrees to other bag if used inside, but can also be used when its warmer and i don't want to use the bag. i use it from around 60 degrees on up. get a synthetic bag, cheaper, and most can get wet without a problem

stuff to make life easier
- a light that can hang in the tent
- small light plastic hammer to help put in stakes (REI sells an awesome one)
- xtra stakes and rope
- pillow (laying on towels or clothes has never worked for me). my blow up one is about the size of an 8 oz tumbler. some people need less then i need. again, try it out first
- some camp shoes, flip flops or whatever. for getting up in the middle of the nite.
- flashlight to carry when you get up in the middle of the nite

with the above you can almost stay anywhere

i also bring
- stove with fuel, for at least coffee when i get up
- cookware (its amazing how compact and light this can be) so i can boil water and have coffee, don't forget two things to drink out of. you can use a water bottle for the coffee and then later fill up with water
- dr bonners soap, can use for anything from washing dishes, to washing clothes to brushing teeth

some other items to consider
- ziplock bages, the larger ones can double as a cooler. smaller ones can store whater

as for clothes
pick up some that clean and dry easy and you won't need as much. i take along a minimum of 3 underwear and socks. wear one, wash one, and one for spare. the other things i bring along all match so i don't care what i wear with what. i wear leather overpants so i usually have shorts underneath, weather permitting. that means i don't need as many long pants

hope this helps

Old 03-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Suruchi
Advanced

You guys are just amazing! Thanks so much for all the info, especially you mark10. Lots of stuff to share with hubby. We did have a travel trailer and one ton pickup which we loved. Did some great RV trips, the last one this past August, 25 days long, that took us near Sturgis. Went there for lunch one day and the rest is history. We came back and bought a Harley ultra classic. Lol! Now I ride my own Deluxe and we are having a blast! However, being retired we don't have the funds for ALL the toys, so we decided to sell the truck and RV and go with our motorcycles and have no regrets. I just really want to keep our travel expenses in check so that we can afford more trips. I REALLY appreciate all your help. Feel free to continue with anything that will help me convince him! Lol!

Hugs, everyone!
Dena

Old 03-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

We like camping but as others have said we eat out so dont pack anything for cooking. If we can do it 2 up on a sportster Im sure each of you having your own bike can do it.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 664 Posts

Great advice so far, I would add to look at backpacking gear for tents, cooking gear and sleeping bags. Backpacking gear will be made light and compact, which is also ideal for bike camping.

And, as with most things, you get what you pay for. A Wal-mart tent might be ok for nice weather camping, but on a windy, rainy night, not so much.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

A three person tent is big enough for two people, etc., etc.,

Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Sujada
Advanced

Having 2 bikes gives you guys a lot more options but a lot of couples tour and camp off a single bike and the ultra gives you a (comparably) lots of room. Like was said, think backpacking gear for lightweight and easy packing but again it doesn't have to be the lightest as you won't be carrying it on your back.

Outfit your deluxe with some throw over bags or sissybar bags so hubby doesn't feel like he has to be the pack mule. Another tip is pack and wear old t shirts and dispose of them properly when worn, gives you room and an excuse to buy new....

Buy good equipment, but don't feel like you got to have it all to get started. camp overnight close to home to try it out and decide what is must have rather than want to have.

Check out motocampers.com for lots of advice and ideas.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 AM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bike camping..

Recognize that 'successful' camping only occurs over time… your first 'camp-out' will probably be the worst… and each succeeding time it will get better because you will learn from your experiences/mistakes. But that is half the fun… being 'perfect' is so boring…
What I 'must have' at a camp site (one that I will be at for more than to just sleep) is a chair. Finding a folding chair can be a challenge; I will post my selection. For me, a tent is really not needed, unless the weather calls for it. I just tie up a shelter-half to my bike, and the other end to another bike, or a tree, or just the ground… and then put my cot underneath. I even use a foldable straw mat, about 6x4, and lay it on the ground first; then the cot, then me and my blankie and fold-up pillow or my sleeping bag… depending on the weather.
Agree with all previous posts… camp shoes is a must, as my chair, and cot. Being able to take off my boots and walk around is a great way to relax.
One more thing… I ALWAYS carry

http://www.redsgear.com/stansport-lo..._store=defaultchair
http://www.redsgear.com/coleman-fold...000013659.htmlpillow
https://www.mpowerd.comsolar light
http://www.walmart.com/ip/KAMP-RITE-...23153/40737671Cot

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain

Do you have friends with suitable camping equipment? If so, maybe you could borrow some basic stuff for a "trial" run.
Some outdoor shops (backpacking stores) will rent equipment also. I would do this before making purchases which can get moderately expensive.

But your hubby will have to address his thing with not wanting to camp. If it's just a matter of equipment, it's so much better than it was 20 years ago....no comparison. Good equipment is a must.

Quick Reply: Campers, I need some advice and opinions