Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

tips for trip to Alaska from Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 PM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had to do it the quick way due to time-off constraints, but I really enjoyed the Alcan highway on the way up (once you get there) and the Cassiar on the way down, Riding into Valdez AK, Hyder AK, Jasper/Banff.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:32 PM
firemanmn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aklowrider
Personal Message me on HD Forums with your phone #, and I will call you. I don't want to leave my cell # on a public site. Thanks
Still hoping to hook up with you and get some info on the ride. Sounds like you have a ton of ideas and info that would help me out a ton. Let me know if we can get together sometime on the phone, Skype, whatever. Thanks@@

Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I've made the trip. I would suggest going it alone. Having someone with you just doubles the chances of something going wrong and can sometimes inhibit your travel experience.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I did the AK trip in early June of 2000.
One thing I would suggest is really going over what you want to take vs what you will actually need.
A good rain suit with gators and rain mittens is a must, as is warm or heated gear if you have it.

Be sure that your bike is in great condition, especially tires, battery, etc.
The 3M protective film is a good investment to protect your paint so apply as much as you can to your fairings and saddlebags!

A flat tire can be a real bummer, so hopefully you have "tubeless" tires and a repair/plug kit with a hand pump or mini-compressor.

While it is true that having a riding companion(s) can be a PIA at times, it's also true that help is a good thing to have when you need it and you can reduce your lodging expenses by sharing a room.
We all took camping gear but I only used my sleeping bag one night and that was inside of a small camper that we rented in a fishing camp.

Three of us went up together but the other two only stayed in AK for a few days and after that I rode and toured solo for a couple of weeks as well as coming home.

The Alaska Marine Hwy proved to be a great idea as I took it out of Haines, AK down to Bellingham, WA.
I got to see a lot of the Inner Passage villages/towns and you get to "cruise" for three days (If I remember correctly) with some good folks, good food and lots of partying!
I'd also suggest booking a small "bunk style" cabin unless you can sleep in a chair, on the floor, or in your free-standing tent on the outer deck of the ferry.

Have a great, safe trip!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I have extended this invite to others, some have stopped in. We live just outside Jasper Park so if you are going through Jasper, Alberta you are invited to stop in for the night. Depending on when you would be going through,,,,if we are here or not. PM me if want to stop in and we can see if the time line works.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:43 AM
firemanmn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice…..wife is not happy that I am considering going alone but it may end up that way.