Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gulf Coast in Sept from Utah. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooddy04EGUC
This might be a little more realistic. Still not sure.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Salt...9987!3e0?hl=en

There are some awesome places along that route...especially in New Mexico and Colorado. I assume you've ridden the mountains in Colorado...being that it's not too far from you?

Some stops in New Mexico close to/along that route:

Capulin Volcano (a quick lunch type stop where you can drive to the rim and do a very short hike into the crater of an ancient volcano). It's in NE NM on your route home between 'C' and 'D'.

Salinas Pueblo Missions. Ancient pueblo ruins and spanish mission church ruins that you can tour. These are located between ABQ and Roswell.

Bandelier NM. More ancient pueblo ruins along with cave dwellings. Pretty cool place to see. Near Santa Fe.

The entire Santa Fe, Taos, and Angel Fire valley area of New Mexico offers excellent weather and riding that time of year. Looks like your route is going to cut just south of that area. You might want to redraw your route to cut further east in Southern CO and then head south through the mountainous area of north central NM.

There are many great places to eat all through New Mexico. I like to check out a different place every time I go through so I use UrbanSpoon app and find places that have over a 90% rating. It's never let me down.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I know the NOLA and Baton Rouge area well. The interstates in La. are boring. I would find Hwy 61 (airline hey) as soon as I could when I get in the area. I work in the refineries from Texas to la, and I can also help you with pretty fair motels when you are in the area. Can tell you where to steer away from etc and a couple nice little rides..restaurants things like that. HD of NOLA is on hwy 61 in Jefferson, its just outside NOLA and across the road is where the Saint practice field is. On the northshoe of lake Pontchartrain is HD of slidell, they are always having food drink and bands at these two places on the weekends. And the women down there will call youu honey babe darlin and such all the time...the folks in the area are super nice.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Corpus area may be gooder, but area I am used to.... west of Galveston on over thru a lot of LA.... gulf can often be brown at the beach, muddy, more so in runoff times. Lot of muddy rivers flowing into it. Have been to Galveston when it looks better. Just so you know.

Still many interesting places to visit/see

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we really want to hit Carlsbad Caverns NM, Million Dollar Hwy CO, Possibly the RiverWalk in S.A. TX, Padre Island TX for wildlife and beaches, Ferry rides? Any good ones along the coast we might be missing? Is the Space Center worth checking out? Great food along the way!

Here is the latest possible trip map.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:02 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So have you just not researched the area from Galveston to Ft. Worth? I wouldn't want to slab it unless you are just trying to make up some time. and unless you are looking for something particular, I would stay away from Houston and Ft. Worth anyway.

If you have time, maybe look at going up the east side of Texas. some interesting areas up around Nacogdoches, Jefferson, etc. But it would make your route longer.

Keep coming with your thoughts and we can keep throwing more ideas at you.

At Kerrville (just before you get to San Antonio) you have "the 3 Sisters area" really cool area to ride and see. Just up from there, you have Fredericksburgh where there are many wineries. We checked that area out a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

you might consider a more westerly route from Albuquerque area to down near Ruidoso area then heading east to Roswell. That will keep you more in the mountains and cooler (plus better scenery). eastern new mexico is flat, hot and not much to look at.
and like someone already mentioned. you could run into some real heat issues. here in se Oklahoma, we usually get a break right about the time you are talking about. But west texas and new mexico could be still pretty warm.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Colorido
Just so you know...the entire ride from west Texas to New Orleans will likely be hotter than hell and above 75% humidity during that time of year.

If you are leaving closer to late Sept, I would recommend taking a more northern route on the way to NO and then hit up the southern route you mentioned on the return.

If you are going to be near Roswell and cutting through Texas to San Antonio/Corpus Christi, I would recommend White Sands national monument, Carlsbad Caverns, and Big Bend NP in sw Texas as worthwhile stops along the route.
Sheesh!

You Colorodders are wimps, it aint hot down here, it's just cold up there...

Coastal rides are full of fun stuff, coming thru Corpus you'll want to head to Padre Island, then up thru Port Aransas over the Ferry and on up to Galveston, lots of little towns and places to stop-n-shop along the way.

Post up when ya get close, maybe we'll ride with ya for a bit if ya want.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Colorido
Road Master

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Sheesh!

You Colorodders are wimps, it aint hot down here, it's just cold up there...

Haha. Perhaps. I grew up in Florida and endured the crazy heat and humidity for far too long. When I moved to Colorado I was like..."why didn't I move out here sooner?" The weather here is wonderfully balanced and is rarely uncomfortable.

And I don't mind heat...been through Arizona, Utah, Nevada, etc in temps well over 100. It's the damn humidity that leaves me wonton for a death by ice-bath. For people that aren't used to humidity, it can be quite the shock and make it difficult to breathe.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:46 PM
Colorido
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wooddy04EGUC
So we really want to hit Carlsbad Caverns NM, Million Dollar Hwy CO, Possibly the RiverWalk in S.A. TX, Padre Island TX for wildlife and beaches, Ferry rides? Any good ones along the coast we might be missing? Is the Space Center worth checking out? Great food along the way!

Here is the latest possible trip map.

That looks like an awesome trip. Don't know if you noticed, but you put Santa Fe in after you go to carlsbad (on the map) and it has you back-tracking.

If you are going to be at Carlsbad on a weekend, make hotel reservations as early as possible. There aren't many in the area and can fill up pretty quick.

And if you're in Carslbad as the sun goes down, make sure you head to the amphitheater at the natural cave opening to watch the bats take flight. It's really something else.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Haha. Perhaps. I grew up in Florida and endured the crazy heat and humidity for far too long. When I moved to Colorado I was like..."why didn't I move out here sooner?" The weather here is wonderfully balanced and is rarely uncomfortable.

And I don't mind heat...been through Arizona, Utah, Nevada, etc in temps well over 100. It's the damn humidity that leaves me wonton for a death by ice-bath. For people that aren't used to humidity, it can be quite the shock and make it difficult to breathe.

I can relate, I moved here from SoCal in the 70's, substantially different weather. Sometimes I wonder why I still live here in STX, specially when I go back to Huntington for a visit.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

And you don't think it is any easier for us lowlanders to breath when we come to Colorado???

But I'm going to give it a shot in July. We are making a 10 day run through New Mexico and Colorado.

Quick Reply: Gulf Coast in Sept from Utah. Any ideas?